1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 scratchy pots

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lupien, Oct 22, 2010.

1. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a Genz Benz 6.0 that is starting to get scratchy pots. The worst one is the Master Volume. At first it wasn't too bad but now its getting pretty annoying and I want to fix this.

I had the same issue with an old Yorkville combo I had and opened it up and spray some air in the pots and that fixed it. But I'm not sure I want to open up my Genz Benz... Its a pretty small amp so I assume things are pretty cramped in there.

As anybody ever cleaned their pots on a Shuttle? Should I attempt to do it myself assuming its as straight forward as cleaning any other pots (like in a bass) ?

2. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Also wanted to add if I do clean them myself would contact cleaner be better then just compressed air (like I usually do)

3. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    How about giving Jeff a call at the factory and he'll get this sorted out for you. Because you are in Canada, I don't know what the service center arrangements are but Jeff will put you in touch with the right folks.

Do NOT use regular contact cleaner, it's likely to damage the pot or worse. If it's just a bit of dust or slight oxidation of the conductive surface layer, a TINY bit of Caig DeOxit is the only material I would recommend. If it's something else, we want to be sure you are properly taken care of.