1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cloakey, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Cloakey

Cloakey

Aug 13, 2012
    Hi guys and girls,

I just bought a used GB6.0 Shuttle. I have had a quick crack at it at home. I have found that with all the nobs at 12 o'clock it is very quiet. You could talk over it. Does this seem right to yous? After reading about this amp I expected it to blow my head off at this volume setting. I've never had to use more than 1/2 master volume previously on any other kit. I just can't understand it. It hasn't cut out as described on previous threads I came across but I haven't wanted to turn it up any further.... I expected a very loud clean sound.

Playing through a pretty new Thunderbird passive bass with a 4x10 400 watt quadbox running Celestion Truvox speakers at 8 ohms (which is 5 years old but has had very little use and seemed fine last time used).

Should I just keep turning the bastard up to full bore in search of volume or will it blow something? I want a clean sound to play in a band (small gigging) environment.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,
    Cloakey

2. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Not normal to me as I bougth a used one also just a couple months ago and it is loud and clean with plenty of punch and tone with the equ flat, the master, gain and volume at 9 o'clock. I use it with a Bergantino HT112 and it just is plain awesome. I play active basses but that shouldn't be the reason for the volume issue you seem to have. Try it out with another cab maybe or another bass or maybe the amp needs service.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The position of the knobs when comparing one amp to another means very little. Every amp company uses different gain designs and pot tapers.

Also, the 6.0 low end is a bit attenuated when set flat. A touch of bass boost, and a bit of low mid boost will greatly fatten the tone and also boost the volume output. The 6.0, set 'flat out of the box' is not very impressive, but with a little low end EQ, it sounds very good.

Turn up the input gain more and add some low end meat, and you will be good to go.

Also, remember, the 6.0 puts out roughly 300 watts into 8 ohms. So, it won't shake the rafters with volume with a single 8ohm cab, especially if that cab is not super efficient.

4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    +1 on what KJung says. I run my Shuttle 6.0 with low at 1:00, mid level at 1:00, mid freq at 8:00. Fattens things up a lot.

5. Epidrake

Epidrake

May 24, 2011
    Something is not right. I second the recommendations of the others. Setting the knobs at 12 o'clock will not sound good, IMHO.

6. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Make sure the active/passive switch is not engaged.

7. I run my mid freq a little higher (9:30-10:00ish), but that's pretty much where I run my 6.0 as well.

5sg.

8. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    A couple of things here. If you can talk over a 6.0 at a noon setting into a 410, then something's amiss.

It's a pretty loud amp. It's also very well-made and reliable.

I'd suspect cables first (my usual culprit:spit:). Check those.

If that isn't it, I'd cycle a plug through the effects loop jacks a few times with Deoxit. If the problem persists, then you may have a loose tube. You can carefully pull it out and reset in the socket.

Lastly, if none of that works, then I'd try it with a different cab to eliminate that possibility.

It is a great head once you get it all sorted out.

9. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    No passive/active switch on the 6.0.

The input gain control serves that function.

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Hmmm ... ignore the EQ stuff, set 'em all at 12:00 for the time being, and turn the three preset signal shapes off ... that ain't the issue. Try setting the preamp gain, the preamp volume, and the master volume to 12:00. It should be plenty loud ... mine is into the GB STL-12 cab.

BTW, there is no passive/active switch on the Shuttle 6.0, that's what the preamp gain is for.

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The output level of the bass will have a direct impact on knob position as well. A lower level passive bass will require more make-up gain from the amp to achieve the same level. It would not be uncommon to have the input gain up to the 1:00 or 2:00 or even more position it this is the case.

It's possible that it's a problem with the amp, but not very likely. We can always take a look at it if that's where troubleshooting leads.

On this subject, many times, we find that the real problem is that the bass is not properly set up, and that a good set-up (pickup pole height, position, etc.) ends up solving the low output problem as well as really improving the overall performance of the bass itself. This is probably the first thing I would look into under these circumstances.

bearooo65 likes this.
  12. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    If it's an active bass please check the battery. I actually called Genz thinking my STM-900 was on the fritz a month ago. Turned out to be a dead battery.

Also check that the contacts for the battery are making good contact.

Definitely sounds like something is wrong there.

13. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA

Ooops. My bad. I must have been thinking of my Crate head.

14. Good advice here. Ken (KJung) was very helpful and kind to me a couple years ago when I was looking for a new cab and amp. He is very knowledgeable. I trust what he says. Others here also know what they are talking about, and you have a Genz engineer chiming in as well. I love TB!

15. Cloakey

Cloakey

Aug 13, 2012
    Hi mate,
    I did have all the nobs at 12 o'clock including the preamps and the master vol.
    Cheerio,
    Cloakey

16. Cloakey

Cloakey

Aug 13, 2012
    Cheers Agedhorse,
    The bass seemed fine with Fender 400 watt head though. My precision bass copy is just as quiet through this amp.
    Regards,
    Cloakey

17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Then increase the input gain control a bit, knob position is just a relative thig and will be different from brand to brand and even from model to model.

I would still have your bass looked at to be sure you aren't throwing away some performance. You would be surprised at what we see sometimes where it was assumed that the setup was good because it worked ok. Once set up well, it was more like woww, what a difference. Not saying this is the (or even a) problem but it's still worth a look and you may end up with a better sounding bass.

18. Cloakey

Cloakey

Aug 13, 2012
    Thank you all for your advice.
    Jamming on Monday so I'll see what happens.
    Cheers,
    Cloakey

19. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I do have a bit of compression before my Shuttle, which helps with perceived volume, but rarely do I have to go above 10 o'clock on the master. There's a lot of power there.

20. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Let us know how that works out.