1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 vs. Carvin BX500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by david.h, Oct 6, 2009.

1. david.h

david.h

Oct 6, 2009
    Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0
    or
    Carvin BX500

Which one is better?

2. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    It's personal taste here, bro. I personally like the BX500 better.

3. david.h

david.h

Oct 6, 2009
    What do you like better about the Carvin?

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I thought the BX500 had more headroom than the Shuttle 6.0
    There are also many more eq options on the BX500.
    Out of the box, the Shuttle sounds better. I found I needed to eq the crap out of the BX500 to get rid of the upper mid "cank", and get more lows. The upper mids and highs on the 6.0 were much more pleasing, although I felt the 6.0 lacked lows too. The bass boost option was over kill.

5. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I owned both and have to give the nod, kind of, to the BX500. More eq options, especially the graphic eq, which I found quite pleasing, not harsh sounding like alot of graphics. Also the compressor is quite good and it's one of the only lightweight amps in this range that offer one. I liked the GenzBenz, but those three eq switches I found totally useless for my needs, so I'm paying for something I really don't need or want. May seem trivial but.... I liked the sound of the GenzBenz and I got a nice tone, but the Carvin did the same and more. My problem with the Cravin was, I got two defective units and gave up on it. Recently, I got a good deal on a MarkBass F1, and like it alot, but I may go back to the Carvin once the bugs get worked out, which seems to be happeneing now.

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    2 ohms. I like the ability of the Carvin to buy a single 4 ohm cab, get all your juice, and then buy another 4 ohm cab if you really want. The Shuttle 6.0 did not float my boat into a single 8 ohm cabinet.

Personally, I am so not picky about tone that I could make any ultralight sound like I want it to, so stupid things like that are what would guide my decision.

7. My buddy let me use his Shuttle 6.0 for a night and it just didn't have enough EQ for my tastes. I'm probably one of the first people on this board to have received my BX500 back in early Feb and I've got to tell you, I've not had one single problem with it. I run it at 2 ohms, 500 watts, parallel into 2 Carvin BRX neo cabs. A BRX10.4 and BRX10.2. and it sounds killer.

BTW, you should probably do a search, this topic has been mentioned quite a few times in the past 6 mths or so.

8. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Carvin makes great gear..
    But i personally like, use and play Genz Benz. The shuttle just makes my life so much easier.. Great EQ. Dual Channel fro FET and or TUBE... It is its own backup amp since each channel on the Shuttle 12 has its own power supply.. if one goes down you still have the other side..
    I also have a 6.0 Shuttle which is a great multi genre amp.

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    One thing to keep in mind that's another random detail - Carvin's service is OK, but Genz' service is so ridiculously good that they put every other manufacturer to shame.

10. I have owned both and kept the shuttle because I felt that it sounds great close to flat and Im tired of having gear that needs major tweeking to sound good because it seems like you are sacrificing something by using so much boost and gain.
    Second I have pulled the covers off of both and there is a big difference in quality between the two,I dont want to say you get what you pay for but the Carvin looks very mass produced inside but Im not knocking them as I own 4 carvin DCM amps but there is a noticable difference in the workmanship and materials used.
    The Carvin does offer more bells and whistles but other than the 2 ohm option I feel that the GB doesnt need them to sound good.

11. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Which is better? Depends on which one sounds better to you.

For me the Carvin won out - I preferred it's voicing/sound. For others the Shuttle wins. I was right in the early days of the BX500 with vinxbass and never had a problem with mine (Armbruster has it now). I tried the Shuttles a couple times (6.0 twice, 12.0 once) because they have great features, great support and I had great experiences with previous GB combos but was never able to get what I personally wanted out of them.

Try 'em both with your gear and trust your ears.