Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 vs. Yorkville XS 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b.bandit, Feb 17, 2009.

1. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I don't have any play time with either of these amps. I have only played on the new Markbass, GK, Hartke, Eden, Ashdown stuff.

I liked the markbass (LM2 & F1) and ashdown (EVO II) stuff, but don't get a chance to try GB or Yorkie's out.

Eden is out of my price range.

Both amps are used.
    I plan on A/B'ing synth and bass into the head. So a head that could handle a synth well is important.

I like a presence in the low mids, and a something a bit warm. Nothing to biting.

I hear a lot on the GB not much on the Yorkie, but the yorkie is also a few years older.

2. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    need your help ladies and gents

throw the nemesis stuff into the mix also.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I don't know how much help I can be, but I'll tell you this. When I was running a Moog synth, I always preferred a nice clean solid state amp for it, like an SWR combo amp. I used a seperate amp for my bass guitar. You should maybe haul both instruments into the shops, and see how they both sound through whatever amp you choose. It may be a compromise one way or the other. Good luck.

4. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    i have never tried the yorkville amp so i cant comment .All the brands listed above are nice and i have owned or played them all except the yorkville, But i have only heard good things about them. TheYorkville XS 800 is a big amp head if i remember correctly and the shuttle is a mini but sounds great in my opinion..

Synth bass.. mmmmmm i played synth bass through an SVT years ago... and that was all tube.. it was super fat.

But from the description of what you are needing it is a good chance that the Shuttle should give you waht you are looking for.
    I have a Shuttle 6 and MAX12.. But i am also a GB endorser so take what you may from this post, you still need to go check one out in person if you can.
    The Shuttle 6 is warm sounding amp and much different that the LM2.. THE LM2 is also a very nice amp.
    But what i like about the Shuttle is the full featured DI out, there is a tube in the preamp to get some more warmth and it is very small , light and loud. It fits in the front pocket of a gig bag most times. I bought the carry bag to go with mine...
    The shuttle also has a headphone out and AUX in so you can use it a practice amp with earphones too.
    Great little amp.
    The MAX 6 and MAX12 are fine upgrades to the Shuttle series with the two preamps an FET and a TUBE...
    There is allot of info here on TB about the Shuttle amps with a long thread to boot.

5. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    for me the Shuttles get it done perfectly. The Max series are dfinately MAX in every way.

6. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm a huge Traynor fan. I had a Yorkville 400B and didn't like it. The "contour" (aka "Enhance") was an on/off switch. It sounded horrible without the contour, but with the contour it was a bloated, mid-sucked mess. I could only be happy with it running through a SansAmp BDDI first. I sold it and I'm happy that I did.

I have the Shuttle 6.0 (had it since June or July) and I'm pretty happy with it. I was never really happy with the Yorkville. This is not to say that the XS800 didn't improve on the 400B. The power section of the 400B was fine. The preamp was voiced poorly and I didn't like the anemic (five band? seven band?) graphic EQ, either. The Shuttle's voicing sounds good with very little tweaking.

KO

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021