1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz shuttle 6.o vs Markbass little mark II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HMZ, May 25, 2011.

1. Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0

96 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. Markbass LM II

88 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. HMZ

HMZ

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Which amp do you like better and why. I think the Genz Benz has some nice grit to it and the Markbass sounds warmer.

2. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I've owned both in the past, the LMII first and then later a Shuttle 6.0. I no longer own either of those amps (moved to a TC RH450).

I personally liked the LMII over the Shuttle as the LMII was a much warmer sounding amp. The Shuttle was too bright for my tastes, and I really regretted getting rid of an amp that had the VLE/VPF controls (very handy). If you want a tube, get a Little Mark Tube.

3. I like the HiFi clarity of the shuttle compared to the LMII.

4. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    I asked the same question a while back.
    I would have taken either, but I found a shuttle 1st.
    I was concerned a little, after reading some reveiws of its "inherent brightness" .
    However, when it arrived, I was nothing but pleased.I use 2 112 epifanis, or swr goliath 410.(And 5 strings)
    I can re assure you, the shuttle can deliver the lows...even without wacky eq settings.Yes it can sound bright, (if that's youre thing), but I am fond of deep/solid lows.and I have no problems.
    And the pre amp grit is nice.(IMO, it breaks up nicer than the LM tube amp)

I do like the LMII though as well.;)

5. HMZ

HMZ

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I feel the same way. I'm not into the bright/modern sound. i do love the way the little Mark sounds but I have been able to dial in a nice warm sound out of the GB 6.0. BTW I own both as well. I have used my MB amp for years. i bought when the Markbass LM II first came out. I just got the GB combo yesterday. I got a great price on it and wanted something light and powerful.

6. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    Two different animals. Perhaps GB 6.0 Shuttle and MB III would be a pertinent comparison, as the MB II is no longer in production. I didn't vote for said reason - though I owned a MB II, and have played the GB 6.0 Shuttle. I settled my need for a smaller/ lighter head with a Epifani UL502.

7. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm not going to vote because I haven't tried the Little Marks. I have the Shuttle 6.0 and it suits me very well. I try to play as quietly as possible in an ensemble and the clarity of the Shuttle helps me play quietly and still find myself in the mix. But the real reason I chose it over the LM II was the form factor. I could fit the Shuttle 6.0 into the pocket of my bass gig bag.

KO

8. HMZ

HMZ

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I think the MarkBass LM III is the same amp as the older Markbass LM II.

9. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I prefer the Shuttle 6.0. I like the versatility of it. If you want the bright modern sound, you can get it. However, you can also get some nice bassy grit to it as well. Just really depends how you tweak it.

Also, if you use pedals, it's nice to start with a clean palette and go from there!

10. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I was in the same situation. I chose the Shuttle 6.0. I am nothing but pleased with it.

11. spcmstrbtasp

spcmstrbtasp

Oct 19, 2006
    Athens, GA
    I voted for the LMII because before it became a doorstop, I liked it a lot.

Currently trying out GK's MB200 and MB500...but like others here, I too miss the VLE especially.

12. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    I personally find GB's customer support second to none. Help is usually just a TalkBass thread away!

X8

13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've played several of each; Both amps sound fine.

A few key factors had me voting GB (and against MB):
    Customer service - the rep from folks I know who own GB is very positive;
    GB cab be bought in several places at competitive prices;
    GB amp are innovative.

MB amps customer service is so-so (from owners I've talked to);
    MB amps can only be bought at GC (blech!)
    MB amps appear to be more hype than substance (my opinion, I know!)

I also like GB cabs better than MB - they sound better (to me).

my 2 cents

14. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    While it is my least favorite GB amp, I would go Shuttle 6.0. I owned one and it was OK, bt the LM amps just don't really do anything for me tonally. Plus, IMO that black/yellow color scheme is just... not pretty.

15. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    What happened to it?

16. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Haven't played the GB, but love my LMII Combo.

Hey, personally, I love the color scheme. It just looks "warm." Beats gray and silver.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I own both and right now I'm just biding my time until I have enough dough to buy something else. I like the sound of the Shuttle and the power and volume of the LMIII. I use 2 Epifani 112's or 2 GK Neo112's. The Shuttle can be very clean. The LMIII......not so clean. Love the portability but I truly miss my Yorkville XS800 and my Avatars! That was a killer rig!

18. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I voted for the Shuttle - the "Markbass sound" does nothing for me and I like the tone of the Shuttle.

Dan K.

19. I love the LMII- It's been my "go-to-lazy day" amp for a few yrs now & ALWAYS gets the job done superbly.
    But I've found the Shuttle 6.0 has extensive EQ options- enabling you to get that 'vintage 'vibe' if U dial it in,& gets a nice grind outta the Tube front end- if U dial THAT in, while WILL stay clean & modern also...
    I DO like the build quality of the Italian made MB';s tho.
    All in all the GB Shuttle 6.0 got my vote.

20. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    These are both great amps.

My first micro was the LMIII. It never sounds bad -- often just turn it on and go. My only niggles:
    - I wish the Low Mid EQ was a lower freq (The Lows hinge at 40hz, while the Low Mid control is over three octaves higher -- that's a big gap just where I like to tweak); and
    - I wish it had an Aux in, for rehearsal convenience (to hear an iPod, or drum machine)

I just got a Shuttle 9 -- same as a 6, but voiced with a bit more lows.
    Sounds good to me! I like the selected freq's on both the EQ and the preset EQ buttons. The 80hz low knob is more useful to me than the LM's 40hz. Headroom galore. The rear panel switching is genuinely useful. And I use that Aux In all the time.
    Niggle: I occasionally wish I had both a high and a low mid EQ. But it's rarely a problem.