1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 Input Overload Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FiyaPowa, Aug 25, 2012.

1. FiyaPowa

FiyaPowa

Jan 28, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Hi everyone,

I just had a straight-forward question about my Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0. Is it possible to cause harm to the amp in any way by cranking both the tube preamp gain and tube preamp volume to 10 (max) and keeping the Input Overload LED fully lit at all times while playing for extended periods?

Just curious if that could cause any harm by overdriving the input to the solid state power amp section, or drastically reduce the longevity of the 12AX7 preamp tube?

I don't normally operate in that mode, but there are definitely times I will admit it sounds pretty darn good and feels immensely satisfying. :bassist:

But not at the expense of killing my wonderful amp and thus my question. Thanks! I love this forum!

2. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I say go for it....It should not cause any physical harm IMO.. crank the Gain and channel VOL to 10...you might get some ratty distortion though . But that can be cool at times.
    Even driven hard, Preamp tubes last nearly forever..
    Not only that but the genz amps can take a beating....

You may not want to constantly light up the LIMIT light though... But the input LED should be fine unless you are hitting it with massive voltage from an external preamp or something..

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I am finding that the light just tells me what my ears already hear. I don't worry about the light at all; I worry about the tone.

4. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I have the same question with my 6.0. I played an outdoor concert the other day and pushed it for quite a while with volume/Gain/Volume at around 3 o'clock.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    There's no problem with the input O/L LEd on, but with the limit LED on all the time you will be delivering a lot more than the rated amp power to your speaker and could certainly cause damage to the speaker, as well as possibly causing the amp to go into protect mode as this is an abnormal condition and not really good for either tha amp or the speakers.

Also, with that much overdrive, you will be exceeding any reasonable average to peak ratio (little dynamic range) which means that you could cause thermal damage to a speaker without realizing that you are doing so.

6. FiyaPowa

FiyaPowa

Jan 28, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Good to know I won't harm it. No, I don't push the Limit LED during normal use. I've got an Uber 1288 and an Uber 15 hooked up to it, so I can't imagine pushing the Limit LED regularly without making yourself go sterile anyway.

7. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    The 1288 and 115 is a great combination.. I use that at times when i dont run two uber 115s... Killer rig!

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    That's not a test that we have ever performed at the factory... and for good reason. ;)

9. I have a Shuttle 6.0, and lately I've been running it with the gain dimed, and the preamp volume relatively hot as well. However, my overall volumes are at a level that is good for practice, so I've not bounced off the Limit LED or anything like that. So far, so good.