1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 - recording tips?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 16, 2012.

1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I recently bought a Shuttle, and I haven't played through it yet.

I'm recording for my band tomorrow evening. I'm going to play it through my cab a little bit before, just to get acquainted with it, but then I will use the direct out.

Any tips? I'm thinking post-eq and line level, unless the signal is too hot (doubtful).

My previous head was a Markbass F1.

Thanks in advance.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The output level from the DI will be dictated by the input level your recording device will accept. Look up the maximum input level before clipping on your recording device's specifications. If it's good for anything greater than say +10dBu then line level's fine BUT if it's limited to someting like 0dBu or +4dBu (maximum) then you may need to use mic level. There are a few A/D converters that are full scale at 0dBu which is not really going to work well with real line level outputs. Just something to be aware of when doing this sort of thing regardless of the amp you are using.

3. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks

4. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    You bet. If you run into specific questions or need a little more help, feel free to PM me.

5. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'll post recordings (or at least clips) when they're done.

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Please do.

7. It will be a (900W of unused power) direct box. There's isn't much more to say.

Don't expect much tube effect. It is subtle.

I love my Shuttle 9.0. I am always terrified of losing it at a gig, though, since the little black bag would be soooooooo easy to overlook in a dark bar. At least 10 times my heart has skipped a beat when I couldn't find it in the truck, but luckily it has always been in there somewhere.

Edit: Oh, Genz Benz engineer in this thread! Love the amp. I humbly suggest considering a brightly colored bag in the future.