1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz Shuttle and overdrive sounds

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hydrofluoric, Oct 3, 2008.

1. hydrofluoric

hydrofluoric

Sep 15, 2008
    I'm thinking of making a substitute for a heavy, tube overdriven amp with a good amount of power (about 600W) for live practice and the capability for quiet practice inside my dorm. So far I am looking at the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0.

So I have a few questions:

I noticed that many Shuttle owners mostly use the amp in a jazz or blues rock context. I've rarely heard of anyone using the amp in a punk or metal setting. Having tried the Shuttle and feeling unimpressed with the gain, I'm thinking of buying a good tube overdrive pedal for both slight grit and full-on raging overdrive. Has anyone used the Shuttle with a Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket or a EHX English Muff'n?

Back home I played through a friend's Big Block 750 and I was impressed with the tube overdrive section and the cranked tube gain. I've been told that the BB750 and Titan have overdrive sections modeled on the Bottle Rocket. Would the sound of the Bottle Rocket into the Shuttle be close to that of either of the Mesa amps?

And a slightly unrelated question:

I'm also curious about the blended ss/tube channels and tube gain overdrives of both the Mesa M-2000 and the Genz GBE 750/1200. What would cranking the tube gain and mixing the channels sound like? Would this be similar to an overdriven SVT, or similar to the Bottle Rocket, or something thick and entirely different? Audio samples would be great.

Any thoughts?

2. IMO, the Shuttle has a very clean tube sound and is not a great distorted rock sound when the tube is pushed hard. I was using an EBS ValveDrive in front of both the Shuttle and LMII with great results. Biggest problem with the EBS is that it can have WAY too much distortion so you have to go very easy on the gain knob.

3. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    I think with the shuttle you won't get a really broken up sound from the stock tube. You can get some nice grind and if using an active bass and really dig in you can get IMO a pretty cool aggressive tone.

However, for a more broken up sound (ie - power stage tube sound distorting) I think you'd be better off with a stompbox of some sort.

That said, there is a thread kicking around here about doing a tube swap and changing the flavour and amount of gain in the GB 6.0 preamp stage.

I'm actually about to sell my GB cos I found an all tube rig at a fair price - a rarity here in Japan!:bawl:

4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    if you do a search on YouTube for Ed Friedland, you'll see him demo so very overdriven tones.

5. mtaffonso

mtaffonso

Dec 4, 2008
    Brazil
    I tried to get an overdrive sound with my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 .
    Using my Fender Jazz, I couldnĀ“t (even using pickups wired in series). With the StingRay 5 HH , only when i dig some bass & mids from Bass guitarĀ“s preamp.

6. I tried to overdrive the 9.0 with a few different basses.

I think it depends what you call overdrive.

The 9.0 could just do a little hair, but the nice tube grind in modern punk and hardcore is not possible unless you use a pedal.

7. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I've been using mine with the Aguilar ToneHammer. Sounds great to me!

Dan K.

8. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I would think the ShuttleMAX amps would be better for this than the regular Shuttle amps. They have a hi/low gain switch on both preamps, but it could especially by useful on the tube side for generating a little bit of OD.

9. I can get the tube to OD pretty well if i max the gain and cut the channel volume back, sounds pretty tubey. or i can hit the input hard with my fuzz pedal and get a nice distorted tone. So i usually run the gain @ 2 o'clock and the volume @ 10 o'clock for a bit of hair on the hardest notes, i can then overdrive easily with my Bass LBMPi

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    It does depend on the output level of the bass, and the playing style. The natural overdrive is fairly mild and "polite", something that might appeal to the more clean type tube amp fans that like the mild tubey type overdriven tones.

One reason why we did not add a full-on heavy overdrive to the Shuttle amps is because everybody has a different idea of what they want out of a more heavily overdriven sound. There are a lot of different flavors of distortion and we wanted to make an ampo that was pedal friendly so that more playing styles and overdrive styles could be accomodated. This might be even more important if you play in different bands that have very different overdriven tones.

Also, a preamp pedal (not an overdrive pedal) can be used to exploid more of the natural tube overdrive on the Shuttle, this might be another viable approach to try.

11. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    This is one of the reasons I love talkbass.