1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz Shuttle Max 6 - LEDS/Brightness of the sun

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmig, May 23, 2011.

1. schmig

schmig

Nov 30, 2008
    Hi folks,

Anyone else find the very bright blue LEDs on the Genz Benz heads a bit annoying? Blinding when in front of the amp in any light, and very noticeable from any vantage point at any venue.

Anyone here swap them out, but blue tack over them or anything?

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I used to use a Shuttle and had the same issue. They are so bright for a reason: so you can see them in the bright sunlight.

However, I found them to be too bright so I took a whiteboard pen (black), and used it to dim the LEDs a bit. It works, and is easily reversible since you can just wipe it off if you change your mind. I did have to freshen it up occasionally when I would accidentally rub it off.

I think some people used nail polish, but I didn't want to do anything I couldn't undo.

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    yes....we get that complaint from time to time. It is for use on daylight stages....I'll admit though...it can seem extreme on a dark stage.

The long term effect on me is that I now look like this.

Attached Files:

catcauphonic likes this.
  4. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I try to get as many of them going at once as I can. Beats paying for a laser show.

5. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I wish the glowing tube was more visible from the front, and yes, I agree the blue LED's are sickly bright. Especially the SIGNAL one that comes on and off with each note.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, those things bug the heck out of me, too. While they may be great for use in direct sunlight, most of my gigs are either at night or inside, and sometimes on a dimly lit stage, they are bright enough that I have a hard time seeing the knob settings, etc. I keep meaning to put some black tape over the LEDs. The next time I gig out with one of my Genz-Benz heads, I just may have to do that.

7. I just played an outdoor gig this past weekend and yes, great in the sun light. I wish I could have seen my pedal leds that good outside!

8. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Personally, I love it.
    Lights=Cool
    Blue lights=way cool
    Superbright Blue lights=Awesomeness:bassist:

Yeah, they are bright though.

But hey, so is the sun.I just try not to stare at it.:D jk

GB:don't change a thing.:smug: OOh..maybe a switch so you can change from super blue, to super red..or white..or..green?..

JMO?..

9. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Just FYI, the appropriate term to use here is Retina-Searing Blue LED's, or RSBLs. The more you know ;) :D

10. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    the_more_you_know2.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    They are very bright, but I always kinda liked the lights on my Shuttle. I thought it was cool.

12. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    *Exactly* what I had in mind.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, but you have been desensitized to flashing blue lights over the years. :smug: :p :D

14. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    For the touring guys, when you play well lit stages, the LEDs are still visible on our products. It's more of an issue the farther away from the amp you get too.

15. schmig

schmig

Nov 30, 2008
    Interesting to hear the rationale, thanks folks. Great piece of gear by the way, have sound engineers raving about it whenever I take it out (every time).

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I love that! It's like my own light show. Seriously, if you don't like them, cover them or disable them or whatever.

17. wmheilma

wmheilma

Jan 5, 2010
    They are bright alright! This blends right in with all the foggers, scanners, lasers, color-shifting side fills and stuff onstage one band I play with. No one has complained to me about them.

I think they look cool! I managed to have them all on at once for a tune or two last night plus the yellow clip light...

18. othefool

othefool

Feb 25, 2004
    Chico, CA
    Thought I wold revive a nearly two year old thread, since I have recently gone all Genz Benz.

I never had a problem with the lights on my STM600 until I was sitting in the audience at a house show. The amp was on, and it was blinding me to look at.

Last week at practice my guitar player put a towel on mt 3.0-10t combo to block out the light.

I love the amps, but I want to dim the lights. I was thinking a translucent tape, but the dry erase marker might work. Any suggestions from two years in the future?

19. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    You are posting from two years in the future? Or, you want posts from two years in the future? :eek:

Use suggestions above, turn amp sideways or backwards, or use holgram depowered image of amp from the past or future over the current powered image.

Seriously though, isn't it great when a product's main problem is that its "star" shines too brightly?

20. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    I think its cool, the drummer hates it in the studio because my amp faces him and blinds him, hahah, he puts gaff tape over it but i yank it off come gig time.