1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

genz benz shuttle max vs. eden wt

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by modulusan, Oct 15, 2009.

1. modulusan

modulusan

Sep 8, 2006
    hello, im thinking buy one of these heads and i dont know how sound the shuttle max...

Im searching warm tube sound...

Im in the middle of the shuttle max 6.0 or a eden wt400/300/550 but Im open to others brands!

thanks!

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    All I can say is I went from using an AMP BH-420 and Eden WT400 to a Shuttle 6.

3. The Max 6 would line up pretty well with the Eden WT550 volume-wise. At this point, the service and support would push me from Eden to Genz period, especially since Genz, while a bit brighter and punchier, is to my ear, in the Eden tone universe.

The main advantage to the Max of the 'non Max' shuttles is the tweaking ability... FET/Tube pre's, multiple bands of semi-parametric mids, and those very nice variable voicing filters.

If you know you want a tone more on the hybrid/tube side, I would seriously consider the new Shuttle 9. Micro sized, massive power.

I will also say that I am pretty darn impressed with the TC RH450 for a warm, fat, tubey tone, and you might also want to take a look at the Classic 450. It is 'only' 450 watts, but what a 450 watts they are! The RH is sized between the Max and the 9, and is a bit heavier at 9 pounds than both.

All nice stuff IMO.

4. modulusan

modulusan

Sep 8, 2006
    yes, i saw a few BH-420 and I think sound very good for the price...

5. modulusan

modulusan

Sep 8, 2006
    I really like how looks the shuttle 6.0 max but I dont test one never. my only concern is that the shuttle sound more harsh, brighter and less warm than a eden wt.
    I have had a wt550 and like the warm sound. so if the shuttle has similar sound like eden Im thinking seriously buy one...

6. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I played Eden exclusively for years, mostly a 550 with dual 212's. I now play Genz and although the sound is a bit different it lacks nothing and is in fact more versatile in my opinion. I would also suggest a look at not only the 6.0, but the 9.0... they are both incredible.

7. Envincibal

Envincibal Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Central Florida
    Not so sure if my $0.02 is relevant... I had a Shuttle 6.0 and sold it about 3 month later once I discovered the Carvin BX500 (the Shuttle wasn nice, but I fell that the Carvin does a better job of not coloring the sound). I also own a GK MB-500 and still find the Carvin to be more articulate (which is why my MB-500 is up for sale), and basically describe the sound of my BX500 (using my Pedulla T-bolt) as growl with clarity.

8. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I played Eden for a while but had some issues.. And then tried the Genz Benz Gear.. They are different sounding rigs.. I Loved the Genz gear and then bought my stuff. the reliability of it as well as the customer service. With the tube pre in the shuttles you can approximate an eden tone yet it seems tighter and more focused, which i like..
    The Shuttle MAX6 as well as the new Shuttle 9.0 might work real well for you... Your profile says that you have 2 aggy GS112s.. That would be a good match with a GB.. I had the same rig and it slams!.

I have used my MAX12 with one side going into a pair of GS112s which would be equal to a MAX6.. and it cut a loud gig easily... I would guess that a MAX6 would be fine unless you are up against a wall of marshall guitars stacks.

Yes im an endorser but i a bass player first.. paraphrase Denis Micheals.

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don't know that I will ever buy anything other than GB. I had Eden and it was nice, but the Genz is just that much more...and the CS - at least for now - is unmatched. Eden went through some issues when it was bought out. CS is what got me looking at something other than Eden.

I hope that doesn't happen to GB.

10. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Although I agree the Genz customer service is a big selling point (imo), The OP is pretty concerned with ,and stressed more than once - warm/tube tone.

My only Genz experience is with the NeoPak 3.5 on several occasions. Can some of you more experienced Genz amp users speak more to the warm/tube requirement specifically. I'm interested too. Seems many mention the high-mid and brightness when refering to Shuttle amps. That doesn't seem to meet the warm/tube requirement to me.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I've owned the wt405 and the shuttle 6.0. They sound fairly different to me. Flat the eden sounds better than the shuttle flat. However, when the shuttle is eq'd the way I like it, it truly is a beautiful tone. In fact, I just bought a max. 6.0. That amp just has so much potential I think it'll be great. Cant wait to get it.

In the end, you really need to a/b both to hear the difference for yourself.

12. Only tried one edem...but the beuty of genz is I could get a lighting crisp growl all the way to a warm creamy mocha on a cold day!!But I use a GBE 1200...different model.

Probably biased but genz hands down IMO and IME.Woooo

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I've had a Shuttle 6, wt550, LMII, and I now have the TC Electronic RH450. The RH450 can be MUCH warmer than any of them by far. It can also be as punchy as the Shuttle or the LMII. It's the most feature rich amp I've ever owned. It has 4 bands of semi-parametric EQ, an absolutely wonderful compressor, built-in tuner that tracks amazingly well, and 3 programmable settings to accomodate different basses or different tone settings. The Tube control lets you add a bit of warmth, some fuzz, or full out overdrive. You can also turn it all the way off for a clean, SS punch. It can be made to sound pristine like the LMII, or big and burly like an SVT...I kid you not.

I can't say enough good things about it. Yes, it's 450 watts, but it puts out more volume and "wump" than any head I just listed. If you want warmth, you can't get any warmer in a micro-head IME.

14. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    No contest.

Eden is out.

Genz Benz Customer Service alone warrants one looking no further than that.

I suggest either the Shuttle Max 6.0 or take a serious look at the Shuttle 9.0.

15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Agreed there. GB service is WAY better than eden.

16. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Eden has service? When did this happen?

17. modulusan

modulusan

Sep 8, 2006
    I have now two swr cabs. one 1x15 basic two way and one 4x8 henry jr...

Im still looking wich head will match better...

I have a old smith burner, vintage streamer and musicman... I play almost funk and latin stuff...

thanks for all the reply...

18. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    My main rig for many years was a SWR Interstellar Overdrive into a Eden WT550 and a D410XLT. That rig just killed! That Wt550/D410XLT combo is one of the truly classic bass rigs and I don't think I have ever been to a gig and heard one not sound great.

Tone wise, I would put the Eden as a little warmer, fatter and fuller sounding, while the Shuttle is a brighter, crisper, quicker type of a sound, but I'm sure there are going to be those that disagree.

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Fixed that for you...

- georgestrings

20. Smu573

Smu573

Dec 6, 2002
    U.S.A. Chicago Il.
    EDEN Artist
    Eden service has turned around. Over the past year. I'm the service manager and a bassist. If you view the Eden forum you can see testament to these statements. I agree we had issues right aftetr USM purchase Eden. Things have changed. I am activly present on this forum and administer the Eden Forum as weel. If you have an issue with an Eden products email us at cservice@usmusiccorp.com or call 1-800-877-6863 ext 5120. If you aren't getting satisfaction send me a PM, here. I want everyone to trust and love Eden and our level of service.
    Thank you all for your time and energy.
    Timothy "Smu" McCarthy