1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz Shuttle saddle alternatives?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by topper, Apr 30, 2010.

1. I bought a Genz Shuttle 6.0 a little while back and love it but I've been jonesing for a companion 112 shuttle cab to go with it.

I struck Craigslist gold with one today that was originally part of a 6.0-12T combo. Only problem... It doesn't include the saddle. The owner sold the head separately and included the saddle with the head when he shipped it to the new buyer.

I've emailed Jeff at GB about buying a saddle and he sent a prompt reply to call Monday morning.

In the meantime, my mind is spinning on what else I might do to solve this.

Has anybody else faced this? Got any pics of homemade saddles for your Genz Shuttle?

2. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Too bad, I just sold a separate bracket. I've also got the 6.0-12T combo with no head. Aw well...

3. I'm sure I can pick a used one up. I'm just curious whether or not anyone has done a DIY job on this and made their own bracket.

4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Let us know what GB says. I'd be interested in picking up a saddle myself if they offer them.

5. yehongxiang

yehongxiang

Dec 15, 2009
    Singapore
    I wrote to Jeff a couple of weeks back and he replied, asking me to approach my local distributor. I'd think that GB does stock saddle replacements.

6. I have the Shuttle 6.0/12T combo with saddle. It's just heavy sheet metal. Nothing that can't be fabricated locally. You really could do it with a strip of metal 4" wide or so, as you wouldn't need to build one that covers the amp as far front-to-back as the stock one does. OTOH, the stock one does protect the amp!! But once the metal is bent, the rest is shaping, drilling and painting.

The questions remain - how cobbled together are you willing to go on a high-end unit like the G-B? How much of your time do you want to invest in making something when you can buy a (probably) nicer version?

I'll bet that G-B can order one for you - and I doubt it costs enough that it's worth your time to build one.

7. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Bungie cord on my ShuttleMax 12. Ain't real pretty but it packs nice and small. And it works.

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I added some taller stick-on rubber feet from Radio Shack on my Shuttle 6 to keep it from sliding around on top of my cabinet. It works well enough.

9. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul. Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    I have done a number of attachments of head to cabinet.

Given this problem (which I don't have because I just bought Tallboy's saddle) I'd use a piece of angle aluminum, two screws to the cabinet and a machine screw into the head, forgoing a handle over the top. You could start with something like this, but the aluminum would be easier to work with:
    http://www.reliablehardware.com/large4-holeclampzinc.aspx

Then I'd get two of these of appropriate size
    http://www.reliablehardware.com/straphandles.aspx

And attach them to the top (with teenuts) parallel to the ends of the head.

Does that make sense?

10. I checked the rack for my Shuttle 6.0 and there are three screws holding each half onto the speaker. The rack actually covers much more of the amp than it needs to, but I imagine the reason is that by doing so it provides a lot of protection for the head. There are openings on each side where the head has cutouts for airflow through the head.

The minimum you would need is an L-shaped bracket with the foot attached to the speaker and the upright part of the L drilled to line up with the threaded hole on each side of the head. It wouldn't protect anything, but it would handle the mount. That arrangement wouldn't provide a handle, but you could make other arrangements for that function. The combined weight is only 36 pounds so it doesn't take a monster handle.

11. These are great ideas and pretty different from what I was imagining, so I appreciate the different perspectives.

I had imagined taking a thin piece of plywood (1/4") and attaching it to the top of the cab using the exhisting screw holes, then somehow attaching the head to the plywood. If I had to, I could do that with velcro strips which at worst would leave some sticky residue on the bottom of the head when it was eventually removed.

That doesn't give me a handle though and I'm not sure how to address that. I guess I could make the plywood oversized so it extends beyond the sides of the head and somehow mount a handle to that.

Like Pilgrim said earlier though, I'm not sure it would be worth it. It really depends on the cost of the saddle.

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    aluminum....anodized. I only clarify...not to be nudge but, because it is an expensive piece.

13. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Note that anytime you put screws into an amplifier (any manufacturer BTW) that goes beyond what the manufacturer recommends, you run the risk of damaging things inside the chassis. There are live electrical parts inside the chassis and it's important that you use the type and length of screw that the manufacturer supplies, and use the proper holes.

14. Interesting....
    I was actually considering if there was some way to attach my mesa Walkabout.

15. Well thanks for the ideas all. After kicking around a bunch of possibilities and talking to Jeff at Genz, I've found a used saddle at a price I couldn't refuse.

Jeff was great by the way. I know plenty of people have extolled the virtues of Genz Benz customer service on these forums. This was my first encounter with them and I'll add my voice to that chorus. Very personable and how many companies can you call and get the founder of the company?

I'm moving from Avatar cabs to Genz Benz. Nothing against Avatar, I've loved their stuff, just ready for something even smaller and lighter. Funny thing is, Avatar is the only other company I can remember calling and actually getting the owner on the line.

I think I'm noticing a trend in my buying patterns!