1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz ShuttleMax 6.0 -- Let's See Some Love!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brandtb, Apr 23, 2009.

1. brandtb

brandtb

Aug 27, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Greetings and Hallucinations to all!

In the next few days, I will be the proud new owner of a ShuttleMax 6.0. I played with one yesterday for about 45 minutes with an 8-ohm GB LS-410T and was very pleased at the array of tones I could get. I pushed it pretty hard, played it softer and was smiling the whole time.

I recently sold my Shuttle 3.0-10T and Aguilar GS112 because it didn't keep up as well as I would have liked with the rest of the band. Our guitar player is running a Peavey Classic 50 tube amp through a 410 (essentially a Fender tweed knockoff and every bit as good) and the drummer is using an electronic set.

I could get my previous setup loud enough, but I had to push it harder than I wanted to and it didn't stay as clean as I would have liked -- don't get me wrong, I love some good grit and growl, but sometimes you don't want it but still need the volume.

With an 8-ohm cab on the ShuttleMax 6.0, I will be running 375 watts versus the 300 I was running before, plus with a 410 I will have considerably more speaker area to move some air. If I need to go up from there, I have the option of adding another cab.

I can keep it clean, or I can dial up some grit, or I can mix 'em up. It looks like a win-win situation.

I've seen at least one other ShuttleMax 6.0 owner out there. C'mon out, tell us your story!

2. brandtb

brandtb

Aug 27, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Even if you don't own a ShuttleMax 6.0 yet, or you're trying to decide between that and some other amps, like the Shuttle 6.0, ShuttleMax 12.0, or say, any of the Markbass offerings -- take a few moments and bounce some thoughts off of your fellow TB'ers...post away. Let's get some conversation going here, folks.

3. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    Mine should be in this week. I'm looking forward to trying all the tone options. My old rig was pretty limited this way. With the ShuttleMax I should have a lot more options.

4. robkphoto

robkphoto

Jan 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm actually on the fence between the Shuttle 6.0 and the Mark Bass LMII. I'm thinking of pairing with a 2x10 probably the Mark Bass Cabinet if I go Mark Bass and probably an Avatar otherwise. Also checking out the new Carvin BX500. Have you gotten your Shuttlemax or are you still deciding?

5. brandtb

brandtb

Aug 27, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I already have mine. I am VERY pleased with it. On the Genz Benz owners thread, I posted this review of the ShuttleMax 6.0 with my GB LS-410T cabinet:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7327264&postcount=390

The tone options are massive...I just wish that I had more time to play with it.

Hope you find the review useful!

6. The ShuttleMax 6.0 and 12.0 are on my watch list of gear I want to get.

Just wish they were a bit cheaper over here!

7. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    I picked up my ShuttleMAX 6.0 last night. Hooked it up to my NeoX 212 after than and went for it.

I would have to say that my impressions now center around two outstanding traits of this amp.

1) 12:00 tone: With everything set flat, this things sounds great on both tube and solid state. Usually you have to make some adjustments, but it sounds really good flat.

2) The range of tones available is very broad. I have a hard time seeing anyone not being able to get what they want out of this. This was most helpful to me, because I had a very simple solid state amp up to this point and don't really know what "my sound" is yet. With all the tones available on this unit, I'm sure I will be able to dial it in for me. Even without changing the EQ on the amp, the variation of my bass controls had a much larger impact (round and warm or Geddy Lee style were easily available). The ShuttleMAX seems to provide a much more accurate reproduction of my bass, while warming it a little too.

I had a loaner shuttle 6.0 while the Shuttlemax was on order. The only drawback is that the Shuttlemax is twice the size of the Shuttle. However, you get much more tone control. My favorite addition is the pad switch which gets me into significant distortion in the tube channel. I couldn't get that on the Shuttle, even with my active bass.

8. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Genz's Live Sound cabs are far better than you hear about. Fantastic cabs, especially at the price. The only drawback is they're huge - 18" deep.

The ShuttleMAX looks great - like the full-featured GBE line in a smaller package. Definitely an improvement from what I saw as a lacking in the regular Shuttle 3.0 and 6.0 amps.

9. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    My Shuttle Max 12 and GB Uber 212 just shipped today. I can't wait to hear this combo, haven't heard any reviews yet that weren't great.

I have been unable to find if the speakon outs on the back of the Shuttle Max's are combo 1/4" and speakon or speakon only. Does anyone know for sure?

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    They are Speak-on only. Safey regulstions throughout Europe (and other parts of the world) are one resason for this. The other is improved reliability and because the shell of a 1/4" connector would not be at ground if had used them.

The NL4 Speak-Ons are wired 1+/1- on all of our amps.

11. DyerWolf

DyerWolf

Jun 3, 2007
    Does the ShuttleMAX have the Active/Passive switch of the GBE series? I'm thinking about upgrading my GBE-600 to a Max 6.0 in the near future, but I think I'd miss that feature. And I can't tell from all the photos of it I can find.

12. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Big fan of both the MAX12 and shuttle6... i use mine almost every day. Im really digging the MAX12 lately

13. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    It doesn't have a dedicated "active" switch, but does have a high/low gain switch on both the tube and SS preamp section, which I believe is the same thing--right? The buttons are the far left of the two preamp control knobs.

14. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    High gain and low gain switches, the low gain is a little less gain then the active position on our other models and the high gain position has about 6dB more gain than the passive position on our other amps allowing for a greater degree of overdrive if desired.

15. brandtb

brandtb

Aug 27, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I finally had a good opportunity to give the SM 6.0 and LS 410T cab an extended workout tonight. With my original EQ settings, I turned up the master volume to about 10:30 and the drummer's wife came down to the Man Cave after about two songs and said that I was literally shaking the (very large) house.

Take that you 12.0 owners! ;) Who says you need the the Big One to make Thunder?

Having said that, the setup was in a corner with walls of painted cinder block and I think it was in an overly resonant spot. I pulled it out and turned it some before messing with the EQ.

Anyway, after taking the master volume down to about 9:30, I did spend some time messing with the EQ to fine-tune it for the songs that we do. As the GB folks say, a little goes a long way and I tweaked it a notch at a time. I cut the lows back to about 11:00 amount and concentrated on the midrange. I cut the low mids to remove an annoying muddy area on the bass and raised the high mids up a hair to give it some punch.

It's really interesting because with my previous setups I really had to boost the low end to get a certain "bigness" in my sound. With this amp and the 4x10 cab, I don't need so much low-end boost to get that same "bigness". In fact, I had to cut the low-end some. This allows me to concentrate more on the mid frequencies to get more clarity without sacrificing thump. This is a luxury I have never had before.

On the tube channel, I ended up with a nice 70's prog-rock groove that I could easily shape for more old school tone. On the FET channel I had it set to a juicy hi-fi sound with a sweet, clean voice.

Don't get me wrong, setting this baby flat still yields a nice tone -- but if ya got the EQ, don't be afraid to play with it some to adjust to the idiosyncrasies of the room.

It will be interesting to see how these EQ settings hold up when we play outside of the Man Cave.

Any way you look at it, I'm still smiling big-time when it comes to this amp and cab. Thank you, Genz Benz for such great gear! :bassist:

16. glad to find a thread devoted to the shuttlemax 6 - mine will be here tomorrow, just in time for a test drive with the band. i'll be running it through my neox-212t in place of my gbe 750 - should be interesting to see how it compares, the 750 is a real beast of an amp.

17. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I am sure the 6.0 is great... I just decided to go with the 12.0 for a couple of hundred $$ more... now I have a built in spare amp!!

18. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish

That was one of my reasons for going with a 12.0 as well.

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'll jump in with some GB love, though I'm using Ampeg and Mesa heads, I've recently discovered the Uber 212. I've been through alot of cabs the last 3 or 4 years, but not any more. The Uber is just that, and I'm beyond pleased with the amount of punch and clarity that comes flying out of this box. So, here's to the love.

20. kidcharlemagne

kidcharlemagne

Mar 23, 2005
    London
    Lots of GB love from me, over here on the Emerald Isle! Currently using a Shuttle 6.0 into an SWR Bigfoot 2x12. Quite possibly the only Shuttle owner in Ireland, since everybody who sees and hears this thing wants to know what it is and where they can get one.
    Anyway, playing an Alembic Stanley Clarke into the Shuttle and via the SWR cab gives me what I consider the perfect tone - punchy, ballsy, gritty, yet sparkling at the top end. And I basically have the eq set flat - very rarely have to mess with that at all - it's the first time I've ever found an amp that, when set flat, inherently has the tone I'm looking for. Everything else I've ever used, I've needed to tweak the eq considerably to get a tone I liked. The Shuttle just has it right there, and any eq tweaks are purely to fix any problems with the acoustics of the room I'm in.
    So, can you guys tell me how the ShuttleMAX compares? Does it have the same basic tone as the Shuttle 6.0 out of the box? Thinking about upgrading, you see - not that my current rig is lacking anything, but even more of the same great tone can't hurt, I guess!

K.