1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz STL-210T or NEOX-210T?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jlepre, Oct 20, 2010.

1. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I am finalizing my rig, and have decided to go with the Shuttle 9. I am having an issue with what cab(s) to pair with this potent amp.

I want to get (2) 8 ohm cabs so I have the flexibilty to use separately, or stacked VERTICALLY together for larger rooms without PA support. I have ruled out the UBERS as stacked on their side would not be an option.

I have corresponded with Jeff Genzler, and he will do a custom NEOX-210T in an 8 ohm version.

Which of these would be a better choice for a classic rock band using my EBMM Stingray basses.

Thanks!

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Go ahead and go for the NEO. You won't regret it.

3. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY GENZLER DARKGLASS TEMPLEBOARDS KIRLIN CABLE RIGHTON STRAPS
    I believe you have your answer already!!! :D

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    The only reason for my hesitation is that I have to ask, "Why wasn't an 8 ohm version of this cab offered in the first place?

5. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY GENZLER DARKGLASS TEMPLEBOARDS KIRLIN CABLE RIGHTON STRAPS
    NEOX cabinets were designed to match the GBE 400 & 600 bass heads. These heads could handle a 2 ohm load
    thus using 2 NEOX 210 cabs to get full power out of the heads.

6. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification

they were, but I discontinued them because of lack of demand. With all these "Class D" amps out on the market now though, that won't go below 4ohms, we're watching closely to determine if we should bring more 8 ohm cabs into the line.

7. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Both very good explanations.

Thank you for your insight!

So if I'm hearing you right, I should go for the NEO 8 ohm right?

8. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Absolutely.

9. cycler

cycler

Oct 6, 2010
    ok, not to hijack the thread, moving over from guitar, but I am in the same boat but with an 80's pop dance band where so much of that music uses synth bass, i.e. deep, that i have to cover somehow. If I'm sold on the Shuttle 9.0 and want to protect my bad back and knees ( yes, I am old ) will a 2x10 at 50 lbs work or should I be starting with the NEOX 112 at 37 lb's and maybe add a second later ? Maybe i'm just not grasping or hearing the 10's versus 12's thing. thanks

10. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I would say that for the stated application that:

STL210T<<<<NEOX210

I don't think the STL cabs are really quite in-line with your stated goals.

Seems a no-brainer to go with the NEOX.