1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz Streamliner 900 - noise?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockinpop, Mar 31, 2013.

1. rockinpop

rockinpop Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Lindenhurst, New York
    I recently purchased a STL 900 (about a month ago). I've gigged with it a couple of times with no problems. Tonight however, sitting here in my home I turned it on to get some practice in and I hear this fairly loud "noisey" well........... NOISE coming out of my GB 1288 quad. When I increase the volume the noise gets louder. Almost sounds like a scratchy pot but it's a constant sound. My question is could this be a tube thing and if so how do I know which one? Thanks!!!!!

2. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Try to cycle a 1/4' jack in and out of teh EFFECTS SEND and RETURN jacks on the rear of the amp.. Sometimes due to climate or humidity they will not close the circuit....

3. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    15.00 for a 12ax7 swap fest, would be what I do first, but the experts might have another idea. They are normally super quiet heads.

4. rockinpop

Feb 21, 2008
    Lindenhurst, New York
    @ svtb15 - tried the 1/4 inch cycle jack in & out you suggested, still have the same problem. I guess I'll try the tube swap but not sure which tube...... And sould it be a tube thing if the amp is only 4 - 6 weeks old?? Thanks!

5. If I bought a GB and noticed a problem within the warranty period, the last thing I'd do is open the case to check for a bad tube. That's just me. If I lived in a world with no telephone to internet contact ability, that's a different story.

In other words, contact the manufacturer.

Good luck!

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    PM sent with troubleshooting info. If it ends up being a bad tube (most likely cause), PM me with which one it is and I will get you a new one under warranty.

7. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Just curious. In your title it says Streamliner, but you said you have an STL 900. STL means SHUTTLE series.

8. rockinpop

Feb 21, 2008
    Lindenhurst, New York
    Yes it's the streamliner, had the shuttle, my mistake..

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005