1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz-Benz Streamliner 900 vs Shuttle 9.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Killens84, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    I currently own the Genz-Benz Streamliner 900 head, and I'm very satisfied with it. But I noticed that the Genz-Benz Shuttle 9.0 is fairly similar to the STM 900 in many aspects. Both are 900 watts at 4 ohms, and both have roughly the same front controls (with the exception of the Shuttle having the additional three signal shape controls). I also understand that the STM has three tubes in the preamp, whereas the Shuttle has one. The STM is only around $130 more than the Shuttle brand new.

So my question to those of you who have played both, is how do the two differ in tone? Please list any other differences you've noticed between the two heads, as well as any pros and cons of both. Also, if you had to choose between the two heads, which one would you take? Thank you for your time and input.

2. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    they are way different, Streamliner FAT WARM, Shuttle HIFI - Brigth, not sure what I like most :(

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    the front controls are the same at all. They only resemble eachother in the fact that they are knobs.

The Shuttle is an active eq section. The Streamliner is a Baxandall "type" of EQ. The STM has a Class A tube preamp. The Shuttle is a SS with a tube in it.

These two amps are no more alike than a Mustang is to an Explorer in that both have a 5.0 engine, but the rest.......

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Ed Friedland did a little comparison between the 2 when he reviewed the Streamliner.

5. Killens84

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    Thanks, I'll have to look that up

6. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    You can warm up a Shuttle by pushing the gain and the low mids. You would be able to find a used Shuttle on the TB classifieds for cheaper than the Streamliners of equal wattage.

7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    +1.

I owned both. I eventually let the Streamliner go, a fabulous amp but a bit too warm for my taste. The Shuttle 9.0 is still here.

In my experience, the Streamliner matched better with some cabs than with others; the Shuttle 9.0 has been great with all my cabs.

8. IanA

IanA

Jul 31, 2011
    Leicester UK
    Both sound great when paired with the right cab.
    I prefered the shuttle 9.0 with my cabs, very deep in the lows and crisp in the highs without being too bright or harsh.
    This is my favorite micro head at the moment

9. Killens84

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    I have the Genz-Benz Uber 4x10" cab. I'd be curious to hear what the Shuttle 9.0 sounds like through it. I like the tone of my Streamliner through it.

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Pushing the gain on a shuttle 9.0 to warm it up? Ugh. No way :)

The shuttle 9.0 with the gain pushed sounds like someone shaking a jar full of broken glass and pennies.

11. I have the STL 900 and I want a more modern crisp amp. I tried a LM3 (again) and found I wanted to look back at Genz again.

I hear they have some new Shuttle amps due, and the 9.0 is a screaming deal at the moment at some stores. Question is, is it worth me waiting it out for a new model?

12. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Look at the Shuttlemax 9.2

13. Yeah, have been giving the 9.2 some thought, but its a bit large and I don't need all that flexibility. I'll give it more thought! The other thing is, the 9.2 Max is £850 in the UK, and the 9.0 is on sale for £550 with the Genz bag.

14. ko stradivarius

ko stradivarius

Aug 14, 2006
    St. Louis
    I'm the opposite. I own both. I have a neoX 212 & a neoX 112. I also have an old Ampeg V6B 2-15 with eminence Delta 15s in it. Both amps sound desirable with the Benz cabs although for my tastes I need to roll the lows off the Streamliner and crank the mids at 600.
    The Streamliner sounds awesome through the range with the ampeg whereas the shuttle 9 sounds "thin". I find I really need to crank the lows/low mids. Not a technical answer but that's my take. :). My Streamliner gets the nod 95% of the time.

15. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I have a bid out on a 9.2 so I can do a direct A\B test but Eds video is the best. Pick which one you like... if you're in between go with the Shuttlemax

Genz Benz Streamliner 900 - YouTube

16. Does anyone know what kind of resale the Genz gear has once its been 'phased' out so to speak?

17. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I love my Streamliner but recently have been toying with the idea of selling my ShuttlMax12.0 and getting a 9.2... just might work better in newer amp configuration..

18. Just get both.

19. Wow, just recently I’ve been asking myself this same question but with the “Shuttle 6.0” verses the “Streamliner 600” so please keep all the comments and etc coming.

BTW, the reason why I’m looking at the 6.0 rather than the 9.0 is because I plan on running a 215 or two 115s and it seems like the 9.0 may just end up having too much power for most bass loudspeakers and I don’t want to pay for wasted power that I can’t use - if anyone would like to comment about this too I’d love to hear your comments. Thanks

20. +1 This is my experience (& a lot of others) too.
    STL sounds great by itself with any cab, but I in a band can easily get lost in the mix with many of the cabs it doesn't suit.
    Which for me was all my cabs. :(
    (Hence my selling of my STL)
    The Shuttle I love, & I don't find it to clean, crisp, sterile etc... & I LOVE a nice bit of grit/drive in my tone when needed (hence my buying a STL).
    Sure the Shuttle can sound thin, just as it can sound fat. It's got a great eq, & can be made to suit any mix/cab/style & works great for upright as well as EBG.