1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz Streamliner blew a Speaker! (Oh No!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danyosound, Jan 18, 2017.

1. I bought my Genz Benz Streamliner 600 and my 210 cab at about the same time, 2 years ago. The 210 cab consists of a pair of Celestion BN10-200x 10" bass speakers, that handle some 600 watts. I thought it was a perfect match.

I also use a few pedals, notably:
    Seymour Duncan Studio Bass compressor, Subterranea synth, DMB Bumble fuzz.

For the last 2 years I have gigged incessantly with this exact combo of amp, cab, and pedals. A few weeks ago my cab was acting up, lost power, and a terrible sound was outputted. After a little testing, I discovered that the lower speaker is damaged (the higher speaker is fine).

For the first year or so, I used the high-gain button on the Streamliner 600.
    For the second year, I decided to not use the high-gain button.

To keep up with the drummer and the guitarist (using a Fender Deluxe), I tended to crank the master to 3:00 or higher.
    Bass at 9:00. Everything else around noon.

My questions

1. Since the Streamliner 600 has a gain option, making the amp sound more "tubey," do I only get all 600 watts when I crank the gain knob on the high-gain setting?

2. How does adding synth or fuzz (on relatively high settings) affect the overall gain structure? Does it significantly add watts that could possibly exceed the limits of the speaker rating, causing it to fail?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Where did you get the idea that a pair of those drivers could handle 600 watts? Those are 200 watt drivers, probably significantly less below 50 Hz. Your amp can deliver 600 watts RMS into 4 ohms (a pair of 8 ohm drivers wired in parallel).

Using heavy distortion and compression dictates that the speakers should be derated roughly 1/2 their rated power based on application engineering research done by JBL as far back as the early 1960's.

Is the output peak LED on the right side of the amp above the master volume control flashing?

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    He probably meant the Celestion BN10-300x but yah - cab good for a 300w amp max if you ever use any kind of OD, fuzz, or synth whether external or internal in the amp. Getting two years out of it is pretty good - if you want the speakers to last 300w max even without OD/fuzz/synth.

From your sig: "Styles: Postpunk, New Wave, Death Rock"
    Yah, no 2x10 is gonna last you LOL.

Is that a RevSound cab? Trade up to the RS410V :thumbsup:. Make sure you own some good body armor first though ;)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  4. Amps don’t blow speakers unless they fault. You drove the speakers past their limits whatever their power rating is. As has been said, fuzz and synth tones are hell on speakers. You have to listen very carefully for complaints that are often masked by the very tones you are inputting.

I use the 2x10 format, Acme, but I would not even consider playing any size gig with just one. A pair, stacked as a vertical 4x10 do everything I throw at them.

Sorry for your misfortune.

RoadRanger likes this.