1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz Streamliner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rainbownorth, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Well, I tried one of these yesterday, had my eye on it awhile now....

Very tidy amp, I'm totally impressed. A ton of colour in it, and headroom to BURN. That gain boost is great for overdrive and fuzz too. Great simple tone controls, even with a pretty average Cort action and a set of worn out flats I got a good range of tones from it and very happy with all of em.

I think I'm picking it up as my next upgrade. My question is though, as I will probably upgrade to a 4x10 and a 15" from just a 15" now, will the 600w model handle two 8ohm cabs just fine, or is the 900w model a better bet? Will probably go for a couple of ashdown ABM's I've had my eye on for cheap. Everything I've seen so far tells me it'll probably handle two cabs just fine, as I cranked the gain to max yesterday with the gain boost and it didnt clip out once. Just thought I should find out how it handles a bigger speaker set before I decide on my intended setup 6 months from now.

Anyone wanna share their experiences? The difference is $200 NZD for the 900w over the 600, I would buy either in a second based on experiences thus far, but if someones got advice or experiences to share I wanna hear it.

Thanks in advance.
    RN

2. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification
    If you do a search you will find all the info you could possibly want on this baby.

I just picked one up and love it.Id say pay the extra and get the 900.But thats just me.

3. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    +1. I'd be inclined to get the more-powerful amp too. I've really never felt "overpowered" at a gig, but I've sometimes felt "underpowered." Never with my Streamliner 900, though ....

4. I'd get neither & get 2 410's or 2 1x15"s too.
    Ymmv, but If I were you, I'd read up on matching cabs & I'd also try & GIG the Streamliner b4 buying one. I found it VERY different live to playing it by itself.
    It's also very 'cab-sensitive', sounds boomy with some, ok with others.

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I too went for the 900, but I'm just that kinda guy.

See if you can find any info on pairing it up with the cabs you're looking at. I'd ask about them in the mega thread. These amps are a little on the picky side about cab pairing. It's very bass heavy, so pairing it with bass heavy cabs you may get a muddy sound. With that said, I know nothing about Ashdown cabs and what they sound like.

6. Thanks for the input guys. Was leaning towards more power, anyway, cause why not? Also cause just in case.

Did a search, a lot of the cabs people are suggesting are a) outta my range $$ wise at the mo, or b) not available so much in New Zealand. Gotta love being at the arse end of the world.

7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Headroom is king

8. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    I have the 600 and don't feel like i'm lacking in power at all. keep in mind that more speakers will get you more volume, but if you can afford it go for the 900. As for cabs the GK neos seem to pair up well and I just picked up a Hartke Hydrive 410 that sounds really good with the Streamliner.

9. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Either one will power two cabs with no trouble. However, watts are cheap right now, so I'd go for the 900 (come to think of it, I did). I would also go with another 15" rather than adding a 410. You'll be happier in the long run.

10. Thanks for the tips guys. I'll look into cabs, GK would be really nice but is pretty well too expensive for me at the moment, especially the neodymium models.

Can I ask why the 15s? And why not using a combination? Just out of interest. I've yet to experiment with 4x10 anyway, but I'm interested as to the benefit of 15s over 10s.

11. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Yes, but what a lovely arse!

12. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Use a second 15" because you don't want to mix speakers. There's a ton of information about this on this site and others, but it is a fact that mixing isn't good. There are exceptions, but those exceptions are designed to work together from the start, and they are able to beat the shortcomings. I suggested using a second 15" because you already have one, so it's cheaper to get a second one (same make and model for best performance). I also suggested it because you are used to the way your 15" speaker sounds, so adding another is the same sound, but louder. Switching to 4x10s will change your sound quite a bit. However, you will get more volume out of two 4x10s, so if you need to get loud, sell the 15", and get two 4x10s.

Which sounds better is open to debate. I bought a 4x10 because I drank the Ampeg/SWR koolaid, and believed the garbage that 10" speakers are better. I have since learned better, and hate the fact that I'm stuck with a 4x10. They are NOT "better." A 4x10 will reproduce deeper tones with less gain loss, but 15" speakers have a better mid-range voice, quicker response to transients, and generally give a fuller/richer sound. They simply need a little more power and larger magnet to do it, so good 15s are more expensive to produce. Ampeg and SWR switched to multiple 10" speakers because of COST and WEIGHT savings, not because of SOUND quality.

13. froghat

froghat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Rhinebeck, NY
    A lot of people have explained very eloquently on these forums why the 410/115 combination is not the best. The basic idea is that a single 15 cannot keep up with 4 10" speakers.

In your case, the Streamliner will be providing 450 watts (max) to each cab, assuming two 8-ohm cabs. The 410 will divvy that power up amongst 4 drivers, and each will cheerfully use its 112.5 watts to sing out your bass lines, working in concert with the other three drivers. The poor 15" will have to handle all 450 watts by itself.

The 410 cab, with roughly 314 square inches of radiating surface area (treating the cones as flat surfaces) will be able to move more air than the 115 cab with its 177 square inches.

Obviously things vary with the sensitivity of the specific drivers, cab design, etc, but the general principles hold.

14. All I'm recommending is to TRY the amp out with a band b4 buying.
    Sounds Very diffrrent solo to in a mix. It may not suit.
    There've been lots of happy STL users, but also lots of ppl who've sold it as it's WAY too boomy for em in a live setting.
    & btw, I think my area is the arse, you may just be in the bollocks ;)
    Love NZ btw!

15. Woops dbl post. Can't delete by ph.

16. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    If you get the Streamliner, go for the 900. You don't have to use the extra power, but it's there if you need it. With the 600, If you run out of gas, you don't have any options. Thereis no real penalty other than cost, and you'll get over that quickly.....

17. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    ...and about 2.6 dB more hiss on the 900 because of overall gain. Less hiss is one reason I appreciate my tiny little 600. When the 600 runs out of headroom it's time to bring out the mega-wattage rack rig or go through the PA (or both). :)

M. M.

18. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Wow, I don't have any hiss with my 900, unless I turn up the treble past about three o'clock, which I never do, as that isn't my sound.

19. Thanks for the input guys. I can see why the combination of speakers wouldn't work, as the different size drivers are pushing different amounts of air at a different rate. I dont know whether I would keep my current rig either way. I have behringer head and cab atm, and am well aware of the fact that, while it's the only thing I could afford at the time of purchase, they are well known to be fairly unreliable pieces of equipment. At the very least, I despise the head, as dialing in a tone is a freakin science with the damn thing. But the cab I'm also a little afraid to push too far, as once it craps itself there's no going back. Hence not keeping my current 15.

Quite honestly rodl2005, I may not be able to play with a band before I buy. I dont know anyone who has one, and I'd be mighty surprised if the stores let me borrow theirs. :meh:

I can ask though, the guy in store was pretty nice, gave me his card and everything, so ya never know.

20. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I have no hiss on my 900 either...