1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz vs Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sleepy_monkey, Mar 7, 2008.

1. My buddy (who is a drummer) has a Genz Benz head....he paid about $3500 for a Genz Benz head and a 410 Bag End Cabinet and 210 Bag End cabinet.

He didn't know the model off hand but said it was solid state and tube.....is this like the Ampeg Tube Preamp? Is it the same thing or different?

I am trying to get him to make me a good price b/c he is wanting to sell it all (He bought it for a former bassist when I originally left the band, the bassist never paid him...so it's collecting dust).

The only thing I remember about the amp is the pretty blue light.

And I am guessing this rig will kill my SVT3 and 410HLF...?

2. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    It's probably a GBE1200 and yes, if it's regarded as being SS AND tube, that means the pre-amp is tube to replicate a "tube-like" sound at the output of the SS power stage.

And yes, 1,000 watts will destroy your current setup :)

3. I am going to use his head tonight through my HLF cab and see how it sounds....but the GBE1200 sounds right maybe...thanks for the input!

4. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Awesome! Let us know how it sounded.

Keep that volume knob on a leash.

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    it will either be the GBE1200 or GBE750.

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    There is no "vs" - the GB is superior in every way - IMHO.

7. What should I offer him for a used Genz? I think one of the ears for rack mounting is broken or something.

8. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    If he told you he paid $3500 for a Genz head... I'd might ask him if he has the receipt. I thought you were from Australia or something... haha

The last time I checked, the GBE1200 (their flagship amp) was going for about $1300 give or take a hundred bones brand spankin' new, LIST. Used, try $850.

9. No, he paid $3500 for the amp, and all the bag end stuff...with tax too i am sure..

10. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I was a full "A" list Ampeg endorser for about 16 years.. great gear! But i have found something that i love way more. It is the Genz Benz stuff.. For me the Genz is way more versatile for my ever changing needs. The Genz is indestructible too. And I expect to have a long happy marriage with my GB gear.. Currently i own a GBE1200 and the newer Shuttle 6.0...Both are Very user friendly with killer tone to boot.... If i wanted to, i could get an ampeg sound with my Genz rig, but i cant get a Genz sound the ampeg... No vs. as another said.. GB is the bomb.. And the customer support is something that you would only get from a small boutique builder... exceptional!
    Also, it appears the GB does their homework before finalizing a build....
    Very Happy GB user/player.

11. cool...well maybe I can get this head from him somehow....

12. Doo Wop

Doo Wop

Apr 26, 2007
    , Maryland
    I just dumped my SVP-CL and QSC rack system for the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and all I play is Motown and old school R&B. I can get all the old school thump I need out of the Genz Benz. And like svtB15 said, the genz gear is very versatile.
    You definitely can't go wrong with anything from Genz Benz.

13. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Still sounds like a far cry from what you could actually get that stuff for. Given you actually try to get the best price. :meh:

14. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    The 5 pre-amp tubes in the signal path of my 3PRO lead me to state in my NOT humble opinion that there is a "vs"-

Because you really couldn't find 2 products voiced much differently as an Ampeg Pro series (or all-tube) and a Genz-Benz.

And I've gigged my Neo-Pak for some time now.

WHY do gear owners have to scream brand loyalty???
    I own Mesa, Ampeg, Trace, and Genz. Each is awesome.
    One doesn't "bury" "kill" "slay" or outperform the other.
    That's why I haven't sold any of them and probably will gladly buy MORE!

I don't WANT my Genz to "sound like " an Ampeg; it won't.
    (5 tubes, remember?)

I don't want my GB to sound like my Ampeg; it has too sweet of a voice of it's own. Notice I didn't say better? See how easy that was??:D

Why do these "better than...." threads exist???
    Got me!:eyebrow:

15. Well, I wasn't trying to say which one is BETTER...if you will re-read my posts, my original question was...is the tube preamp the same scenario basically in both.

I never ask which is better b/c then moronic opinions from abode tend to make their way from the woodwork. ;-)

16. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    What it should mean is that you get some rock'em sock'em robot parts and build them onto the amps, then toss 'em in a ring and get them to start pounding on each other.
    That's the real disadvantage of more tubes - a good left hook really hammers the tube, but transistors and IC's can duck and weave...
    :D :D :D

17. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Hey Sleepy Monkey...I'm not going to say anything bad about Ampeg here either. I use and still own a SVT-4PRO, and it is a great head. I also own a Mesa and an Ashdown head...both of which I really like as well. But my main gigging head is the Genz Benz GBE1200, which just flat out KILLS...

Give the Genz Benz/Bag End rig a try, and let us know which head it is (1200 or 750)... I suspect you will be floored by the great tone, EQ flexibility and power you will get from it. If you dig it...make him an offer...

I am also curious about how the GB head sounds with the Bag End cabs, as I can't remember reading any reviews or info on that particular configuration.

18. 2Loud4You

2Loud4You

Jan 18, 2008
    Norcross, GA
    As you'll see in my sig I play a GBE 1200 into an Ampeg PR410hlf. It definitely sounds mean and loud. I will say that I'd like to add another cab because I am battling 2 loud guitars. As for your drummer spending $3500 on all that, he got raped. I paid $1k for my brand new GBE 1200 but they typically go for around $1300. That means he paid $2200 for 2 cabs and tax!

19. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I play through an SVT3pro occasionally. It does have a bit of a different sound, much softer, with a lot more give. Not punchy at all, at least not compared to the 1200 or the Neo-pak. In fact, the Neo-pak seems to have more oomph than the SVT3pro does. But if you really want that Ampeg tone, you have to get an Ampeg head with all those tubes.

20. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I realise your referring to their current new products, but saying "anything" might be a little strong.

My only Genz experience is a new 2x15 I bought back around 93 or so. At the time, this particular cab was a comparatively bargain priced square-ish box with a pair of diagonally arranged 15's and was covered in gray carpet. It was the only new big cab that I found and could afford at the time. My results with this particular model were very disappointing to say the least but all the reports of their new products leed me to believe they have vastly improved things since then.