Genz Benz - What role did Andy & Jeff play?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim C, Dec 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I am amazed that Mesa and Genzler Amplification have (or about to) introduce new amps that are reported to be not only amazing but a huge leap in MI amplifier design. I have no doubt that these goals have been accomplished, but have not had the pleasure of trying them.

Were both of these gentleman engineers at GB?
    Curious as to how GB was started and the relationship each had in regards to product conception, design, manufacturing, QC, marketing, etc. When you think about it these two guys have created and sold a huge number of highly regarded bass amps with many unique features.

It is also amazing that they are both available on this board for discussion and problem solving; other than Robert Gallien & Bob Lee at QSC, I can’t recall any other amp manufacturers that have made themselves so available to “get down in the trenches” and talk to the soldiers directly. This four-some have also been the most honest and supportive of all their contemporaries when it comes to product issues and support.

I am thinking that the above would be of interest to many on this board and it will be interesting to see if these new amps will drive new designs from other manufacturers.
    (And yes, I will continue to enjoy and play my GK RB & MB series amps as well as my SVT!)

2. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I am not totally certain of Jeff Genzlers background. I do believe he is an engineer. I know that Andy is a design engineer and there is another gentleman that was with them as well and I think is a design engineer. And yes the two of them have been an invaluable resource to those of us who love and use Genz Benz products, just as Bob Gallien and Bob Lee are to their companies. As an aside I only have amplifiers from two companies, Genz Benz and Gallien Kruger. My support of those two companies is partly due to their support and presence here. I and I'm sure many others appreciate that they take their time to avail themselves to us. And of course the bigger reason is I really like both companies offerings.

I look forward to trying some of the new Genzler Amplification products as well.

Now I've got to figure out what to do with Andy's stuff from MESA! That Subway is a sweet looking amplifier and the reviews have been great.

3. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    And oh yeah, Jeff was the founder of Genz Benz and the driving force behind it. He now has the same role at his new company Genzler Amplification.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Jeff was owner, though I don't know anything about his electronics skills.

Andy was engineer. Amp and speaker designer, and has a lot of experience in live sound/pro audio.

+1 to those guys being "in the trenches"/ making themselves available to us.

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

There was also Roger, user hasbeen, who was also very active on this site. I wish all the GB guys success with their new endeavours.

6. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Bobby with Peavey is no slouch either.

7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I know I saw the story somewhere. Didn't find it with a quick search @Jeff Genzler started/ was founder of Genz Benz. agedhorse was his head engineer.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I hear tell he does combo's as well. :laugh:

9. B-string

He's boxed in a few "Speakers" as well? :)

SirMjac28 and beans-on-toast like this.
  10. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Packaging isn't as easy as one would think.

B-string likes this.
  11. B-string

Nope. One speaker demands this, a different speaker wants something else, prima donnas.

12. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Corralling them must be a painstaking exercise.

(Last time, I promise... ;))

B-string likes this.
  13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Let's add Dave Boonshoft to the fray. :cool:

PWV likes this.
  14. McFarlin

McFarlin

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Let's not forget Arthur Benzington, co-founder and innovator behind the top-corner mounted cab handles and flashing blue "signal" LED.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    SirMjac28 and agedhorse like this.
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Agreed but we are discussing Genz Benz! :D

16. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I think Jeff played The Skipper and Andy played The Professor.

genzNew.jpg

wave rider and agedhorse like this.
  17. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    And GK, QSC....

That's why I pulled Bobby out and tossed him on the pile.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  18. B-string

We are pretty lucky around here. We even have Bill Hughes stopping by with his work at Ampeg and Fender (Fender/Sunn also?).

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

OK but we were discussing GB Then the thread went sideways into EE's who help us poor dimwitted lowenders!! :)

20. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Yep, and I tossed bobby into that pile, not the pre-tangent, genzclusive discussion.

JackANSI likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021