GENZ BENZ. why so little discussed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Apr 12, 2004.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    I have tried more than one time GBE 400 & GBE 600 heads, by genz benz.

Loved them and i actually think that they are one of the best amplifiers for sound, specs, quality and price.

But they seem to be not so popular and used.

2. They just don't happen to be the flavor of the month yet. Their time will come.
  3. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Just put 50 bucks on a used GBE600 w/footswitch at my local Daddy's for 429.99!! What a sweet deal, I'm trying it out and picking it up today after work. I'll let ya know what I think of it when I get it.
    I figured at that price what a great back-up head or for when someone else wants to use my gear, I won't have to worry as much about it as my Eden/Aggie stuff or the old SVT.
    I can't wait to hear it, I downloaded the manual this morning and from the specs this looks like it could be a killer amp...
  4. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    They are a relatively small company. When I first tired their stuff, I was blown away. I battled with the decision between Genz Benz and Gallien Krueger for nearly a year, until one day I settled on GK.

The sound was just there for me. It was tight with a very strong low end and accented highs. Sometimes the mids are too much for me since I like to scoop them to accent the highs, but nothing I can't fix with alittle EQ tinker. The GBE600 through a 610T-Xb2 is absolute bliss.

I gotta a very good deal on my GBE 600 head. I went to a shop in Chattanooga, TN, going store to store looking for a head, trying everything from GK, BBE, Mesa, Hartke, and a couple of others I forget, I came to this small store that had some really nice and rare stuff. The marked price for the GBE 600 was $849, but the owner said "That doesn't sound right." He then quoted me $729 for the head, and then $849 for the cab. So I put the head in layaway right then and there.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Puzzles me, too. I've been recommending G-B gear on this board for two years. Rarely, if ever, do I see others' mentioning it.

I don't own any G-B but I have used other bassists' G-B gear at gigs where the amplification was provided for me. I've never used it without some type of pedal preamp, (like a SansAmp), but their XB-2 Series speakers took everything I could throw at them....(never tried their Live Series).

Although there are many "official" G-B dealers in the US, I rarely see their gear in dealer showrooms. They always seem to have to order it for you.
    I've never seen it offered by the catalog mega-dealers either.

I agree, especially for the XB-2 speakers - G-B is an excellent value.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Because people don't buy gear blindfolded. Genz Benz is as good in it's own way as most gear in it's range.

On the blindfolded tip, there'd be even more Peavey gear sold too:D
  7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    You want some GB discussion? Here it goes. I bought a ML200-115T (200W 1X15 w/ teeter combo) for X-mas. I was at the time unable to drive so I couldn't work. I sold everything I had of worth on ebay to be able to afford it. It was my first "real" amp. Up until then I had only had a 50W Crate. The Genz committed 2 unforgivable sins.

1) The unvariable tweeter. :mad: This little shortcoming ruined the amp. It's more than a little frustrating playing a P-bass trying to get a warm/round tone but all this thing pumps out is harsh twang. Sure, I could turn down the treble, but that ruins the sound. I like highs, just not when they're like an icepick on a chalkboard.

2) The 3 band eq w/ semi-para mids. :( I could never get any sound I wanted out of it. Because of the shytie acoustics in my room I really need more mid control. 5-band eq minimum. And yes, I do know how to work a parametric eq, cuz I spent atleast 25% of my playing time messing with the eq (I'm not exaggerating). NOT fun.

Why did I not return the amp? Because the same day the Genz arrived I sent my bass off for warranty issues :oops: . All in all it was a $600 lesson well learned: play before you buy.

It got to the point where I would groan everytime I turned on the amp and it started to make me not want to practice. So I took the amp into a pawn shop and traded it for a Peavey T-Max head. Played it for 20 minutes at the shop. Worked fine. Took it home. Completely fried in a few hours.

*uncontrollable weeping*

PS. One last little tidbit. My creativity and quality of my lines has increased since I've started practicing/writing unamped. Hmmmmmm......... :bassist:
  8. ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
  9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    When I was looking for a cab I was very interested in GB, but the only Canadian retailers I could find where out west. I just didn't want to buy without hearing them first.....
  10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Very true!
  11. rickbass

I guess I could have been more specific, cc. What I was saying was - I get "musiciansfiend" catalogs along with many others every month.
    NEVER, over the years, have I seen G-B's offered in the pages of their catalogs, (hell, one time, they even had Aguilar cabs in there!).

In short, if you don't know to look for them, I think most people wouldn't assume that MF has them.......or, at least can get them.

It would be interesting to see how many people here at TB have bought gear, sight-unseen & unheard, based on feedback from TB threads. I suspect there is a large percentage.....sort of the "Carvin-boogie." I can't count the number of threads I've seen about - "I bought this or that and found it's not the sound I was looking for."
  12. ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    I'm doing that right now...I live about 300 miles from the nearest decent music store, probably 400 miles from a Guitar Center or some such, so I'm relying on the advice of everyone here to steer me right. Getting an Ampeg B-2R / Aguilar GS112 rig to hopefully get that classic rock/blues/Motown sound outta my P-bass. :bassist:
  13. rickbass

Best of luck! I know sending gear back can be expensive and taking it back can be a bitch.

I liked the G-B + SansAmp pedal because it was warm and, there just aren't enough old Ampeg Portaflex's to go around any longer. :crying:
  14. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Guy's I picked up the GBE600 last night after trying it out in the store for a half hour or so. Although by the time I got home I only had a hour or so to play with it I plugged everything in and hooked it up to my Ampeg 610HLF, I got a good usable tone right away with the amp set mostly flat.
    After a little tweaking and reading the manual I started to get familiar with the operation.
    I'll tall ya what this amp has no shortage of power.
    What this head does is makes your bass sound like itself, I only played my 83 Pbass ("The One") through it but it sounded like I was playing direct into the board.
    With everything set flat on the amp My P sounded like my P.
    After tweaking with the Signal shaping circuit and the EQ section I started getting some sweet tone out of this bad boy.
    I started messing back and fourth with the Tube Pre and the FET pre and what's nice about this is that is you can switch back and fourth between the two (VIA Footswitch) so if I was playing a tune where I had to do some funk slappin I switched to the FET Pre for that GK kind of feel and then if I was doing a Motown tune, I could switch over to the tube pre and overdrive it a bit for that old school ampeg thing. Very nice quality, good looks and a very usable rig.
    I'll know more after playing it with the band tomorrow but for now I give the GBE600 a thumbs up!
  15. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I'm telling ya this is a great head!!! :bag: :D
  16. Dude Chapman

Dude Chapman

Apr 11, 2004
    Do you have the two or four switch footswitch? And what all things can you do with the footswitch and that head?
  17. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have the two button switch and it switches the preamp from Tube to Fet and the other button mixes both pre's so you get a little of both. I guess the 4 button switch does a boatload of other functions.
  18. rickbass

So, Henry.....does this fine acquisition mean your guitarist is forced to get a Marshall Mode 4???, (you how those guys are :rolleyes: )

19. Dude Chapman

Dude Chapman

Apr 11, 2004
    Is there anyone in the northern Indiana area that owns a Genz Benz cabinet?? I would like to hear one before I buy one, and I doubt most of the dealers around here will have them in stock..