Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz Benz XB2 Series Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ebozzz, Dec 16, 2001.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Any of you guys or gals live in a area that has a store that stocks these cabinets? Is anyone using these or had the opportunity to try some? I'm about to drop some coin after Christmas and this is one of the cabs that I'm considering. Here's the link:

Genz Benz XB2 Series

I'm thinking about the 210, 410 and 610 as possible additions to my arsenal. Two of the 210s is almost a definite buy. I may also try to get one of either the 410 or 610. I'm leaning more toward the 610 as the two 210s would be the equivalent of a 410 when combined.

I've got dealers in my area but no one stocks these. I've kind of narrowed my choices down to Peavey, Acme (they are built locally) and the Genz Benz. I feel that those cabs give me the most value per dollar compared to the other cabs that are available.

I've tried the Peavey cabs and they are hard to beat for the price that I can get them. I'll get a chance to try the Acme cabs soon. It doesn't look like hearing the Genz Benz before buying is going to be an option. The Acme and the Genz Benz would be slightly more expensive than the Peavey. Any positive or negative input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Laddieo

Laddieo

Dec 16, 2001
    Aridzona
    I've got 3 GB cabinets. 410T (rear ported), 115 (standard, no horn), and a 210 XB. The 410 and 115 travel with me, (so they're in a trailer in SF most of the time) and they're loaded with EV's. They sound incredible.

Secret note... I originally bought them because I knew they would be "decent" and I could get them "unloaded". I already had the speakers from my much larger 2x215 / 2x210 setup.

I bought the 210 XB later, because I liked the sound of the cabs. It has the stock GB speakers in it. But because it's at home, I don't get to drive it very hard. I would give it a thumbs up though. I play a new NS-2J with the 18v aguilar pre, so it's not like I'm feeding it a low B... ever. But the bottom end IMO is clear and smooth and solid, even at low volume. Note... I'm only driving it with a GK400rb I'm driving with.

The mids are there without sounding nasal, and it's got plenty of horn.

Remember, this opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

3. Laddieo

Laddieo

Dec 16, 2001
    Aridzona
    I've got a separate thread going, and it's thus far "replyless." I could really use some input (if you've got any). "Multiple Amps"

Thanks

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Does anyone have any Genz Benz info? If not about the XB2 series, tell me about their standard series.

5. DTravz

DTravz

Sep 2, 2001
    I have two GB cabinets. A 410, and the std. GB15, both of which do a great job. The 410 filled any room our classic-rock group played in. But I EXPECTED it to be good.
    I was more surprised/impressed with the GB15 that I bought used-cheap as a cabinet for the practice room...where it did well. But that band broke up and I just played my first job in a local, and nicely talented, country band. It was in a small (ish) bar that might hold 100 people on a good night I decided to use the GB15 as opposed to the 410 because I do not want to lug the 410 around anymore since we won't be playing any huge rooms. Anyway, when we kicked off the first tune, I heard the room resonate with this BIG bass sound. Not obnoxious big bass, but punchy and big. All night long I felt like I could use the lightest touch ever and get BIG notes. (Maybe I was so engrossed in making the correct I/IV/V changes, that I imagined that it sounded good...). But, no, it DID sound THAT good to me
    That brought on a GAS. Since I won't be using the 410 anymore, it will be put up for sale, and I am now shopping for a nice combo amp to use in this group. I hope to get a Genz-Benz GBE 260C-115T as my main rig, along with the GB15 stacked on top. I will carry the Hartke 3500, currently my main head, as a spare head. For 3 pieces of relatively light gear, I will get two amps and two cabinets to cover most types of on-the-job failures, (other than my own). For LARGE rooms, I suppose I will be jacking into the PA anyway, so my rig becomes a stage monitor at that point.
    Hope this 'IMHO' helps somehow.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That helps a lot! Did you consider any other cabs before deciding on the Genz Benz?

7. DTravz

DTravz

Sep 2, 2001
    I guess the usual...Peavey, Ampeg, etc. Although I don't normally buy gear without trying it out first, I did with the Genz-Benz, because it was highly recommended by someone who's opinion I respect in the industry. And I'm not sorry after using it for 3 years. I just want to increase my portability, so I have ordered the Genz Benz 115T combo amp.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    DTravz,

Thanks for thr reply and check your email. I sent you a message.

9. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hey Ebozzz,

I can't speak to their cabinets since I've never tried them (my local GB dealer is a primarily acoustic guitar store that at most carries a couple of the Intro or ML series combos). I do have two of their combos - an older ML-112T (135W, 1x12 + tweeter) and a brand spanking new ML200-112T (200W, 1x12 + tweeter). I've been happy enough with the original ML-112T over the last 3 years to get the new one. I'm satisfied with their construction, sound and support (although I've only had questions, no problems to have solved).

I was intrigued by the 212-XB - but wanted to stay small and portable (both combos fit in my sedan's trunk).

I need to take both with me to practice to try them out as a "stack" and see how they do when coupled.

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Craig,

Put one of those combos on in the box with the Beast, would you? :D Thanks for the insight. I've pretty much got everything else that I need, well actually more than I need, and I've got my sights on some cabs right now. I'm looking at two of the 210T-XB2. I don't have a large vehicle either and I think that they would be fairly easy to transport. I would have the option of taking one or both of them depending on what was needed. Do I make sense? I'm trying to but I'm still light years behind a lot of you guys in knowledge and experience. :)

11. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    I have the GBE250c-210T and a GB15T-BB cab and the sound is big and pure.I like a setup that will give me my different bass tones that are clean.I dont want my amp to give me my sound let the bass do that.I use a 62 jazz and a USA P deluxe and a USA J deluxe and a Ric 4001 and all these bass's have their own sound that's intense through this amp .Thats why different bass's sound different and not sound the same through a amp.Give me clean everytime and let the bass make the noise.

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's exactly what I'm looking for Jman! The Peavey cabs are very good, especially at their price but the tone that they have just hasn't sold me yet. The Acme cabs are getting rave reviews from a lot of players and from what I hear, their reponse is probably flatter than most, if not all, of the cabs on the market. Most of the guys that I've talked to liked the Acme cabs a lot but there are a few that felt that it didn't suit their needs. You can't please everyone, I know. I haven't heard anything negative about the Genz Benz yet so I think that's the direction that I'm going in even if I can't try them first.

13. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    Ebozzz
    You wont be disappointed unless your looking for a amp sound over a bass sound.Check out www.basspalace.com they treated me perfect.
    I first bought the combo with 2 ten's and it just didn't have that exact bottom I wanted so I ordered the Genz Benz 1x15 cab and that puts the combo up to 330watts a very clean sound and alot of head room.The 15 added that sound I wanted.
    Bass Palace ordered the cab from GB and had it direct shipped to me ,very nice.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've spoken to the guys at Bass Palace and they seem to be the real deal. The only thing that I'm concerned about with trying to ship something like that is the cost of shipping. Usually if I find a good deal it's not so good after shipping is factored in. Having what I want shipped direct might work out nice. If not I'll deal with one of my local dealers. One of them, Drum City-Guitarland , is a great place. I would not feel bad about doing business with them at all. I'll check with Bass Palace. I like options. ;)

The main head that I'm working with at this time is a Peavey Kilobass. I also have a Peavey Max preamp that needs to have a nice power amp to go with it. I don't know how that combination will work. I got and outstanding price on the Peavey stuff and I couldn't turn it down. Not that any of their stuff is bad but this is some of the better Peavey gear anyway. I'm just getting started and I may rethink my amp situation over the next year. I want the Genz Benz though for sure.

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I just heard from Bob at Bass Palace. He gave me a general idea of what two would cost shipped to me and if that quote is accurate, he just blew the doors off the quote that I got from Drum City. He won't know for sure until Monday when he's back at the store. Alright, can we get a little group meditation here on my behalf? Think good thoughts, please!!!! ;)

16. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    Abozzz
    I told you they were good.If I remember right the freight they charged me was super cheap.They must charge Genz Benz shipping rate which is cheaper for a company than you and me.I think freight from Arizona was like $25 which is cheap.
    Hope it works out for you.

17. I own a pair of 410 XBs. I've had the opportunity to A/B one of the cabs against the Eden 410 XLT and the SWR Goliath III. IMO, the GB was as good as the SWR cab and just a hair from being comparable to the Eden cab. Considering the GB is less costly than both, you can't go wrong.

18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Jman,

I hope that he's on the right track with that quote. If I have to buy locally it will probably cost me from two to three hundred dollars more than what he stated. I have to contact him again on Monday when he'll have access to the accurate information.

Mr. Dead,

Thanks for the input. I think that I'm sold. I just hope the XBs get along with my Peavey amps at least for a while. I wish that someone would start stocking some of these in my area. For the moment I'll deal with Eden-like tones for MUCH less money. if these cabs are that good I don't understand why more people aren't playing them. :confused:

19. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    Ebozzz ,Its because most people dont know about them and they are fairly new in the market.Second they dont have the advertising budget and I believe they dont "yet" have the same mark up.
    Alot of younger bass players are more into style than design.If you post something about SWR you will get tons of response's,because most younger player's think there the best.And they might be if you want a amp sound.
    Personally I dont want my amp to make MY SOUND.Thats why I invested in certain bass's.I want the true sound of the instrument not some boomy sound from a amp.I would rate the GB right up there with Eden.
    They have quite the tonal range on these amps.I believe in 10 years you will see GB amps much more expensive than they are now.They are trying to get there name out there right now.I dont plan on ever selling mine.Quality today is hard to find and I believe these amps are of high quality.

20. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Hi,

I'll ad a quick story to this thread. I was at a guitar store that I had never been at to have a supposed guitar setup god work on my Spector. I wasn't cabinet shopping at the moment. I was waiting to talk to *the man* when I heard a loud ripping tone come from the back of the store. Out of the corner of my eye I saw this guy jamming on the 210XB. I couldn't believe it! Well I quickly sold my SWR and bought the 410XB. These cabs kill for the money. I paid $417 for it. That includes a 3 year transferable warranty. The build quality is much, much better than the Hartke trash I used to play. All in all I would highler recommend this if four tens is your thing. I've been using it for just over a year now. I might be selling mine only because I'm thinking of down sizing. I really only use the cab to hear myself on stage. But with 2 mesa half stacks I'm all the way up with the 410 and my SVT3. So, I'm gonna have to give it some thought and maybe post.

But, definately, go for the Genz you won't regret it.