Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz Benz?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PUNK&DONUTS, Apr 2, 2001.

1. What's people's opinions on Genz Benz 4x10's or as whole. Especially the price and stats v's other cabs. I actually own the 4x10 XB and find it to be a very good cab and chose it over Trace Elliot and SWR cabs which were all around the same price except the Genz being $600 cheaper it managed all ends of the spectrum better than the others I mentioned. So to cut my story short what's your opinions on their gear v's other manufactures because I never hear it mentioned.

2. Genz-Benz sound fine, but don't expect too much from their customer service. I have had a problem with them and if you want me to tell you about you can personally message me on this TB thing, cuz I don't feel like re-typing it right now. Good Luck!

3. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    In the rehearsal studio my band goes to, there's a KG head hooked to 4*10 Genz Benz.
    I'm not a big fan of its sound (ok, it's highly subjective) but one the speaker has gone quite quickly even in a place where 10 bands play a day.

4. TCollins

TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    Excellent sounding cabinet! I had two of them powered by a Gallien Krueger 2000RB. What a great sounding setup! I had probs with the GK 2000RB, got rid of it and went to Mesa.
    One problem (minor (IMHO), was one of the resistors from the tweeter fell off. The cabs were still under warranty, but I had traded the cabs already. Excellent bass cab for the $ :)

5. I have a pair of 410XBs powered by a 600w Eden. Sound wise they compare with costlier speaker cabs so you can't go wrong with them!

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own a 1-12 Genz Benz cabinet. Thesound is very good for the money (I also own an Epifani 1-12 which smokes it but it cost me 3 times as much). The quality of materials is pretty good. I'm not sure where they get the woofers from, but my cab uses a LeSon tweeter, same as used in a number of SWR cabinets.

I would disgree about customer service being poor. I guess their service dept. is pretty darn small because the "Jeff" I spoke with on the phone about a repair tunred out to be Jeff Genzler, the owner I think!!! They have a transferrable warranty; although I bought the cab used when the tweeter blew (while someone else was using it at a jam and abusing the volume) they replaced it with no questions asked, they just needed me to fax them the sales receipt. I can't find any fault with that!

I have gigged the cabinet for over a year and have been very satisfied with it. I would highly recommend a Genz Benz to someone on a tight budget.

7. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I own a Genz Benz and I am very pleased with it. I have never had any trouble with it and I love the tone I get out of it. It also leans back which is a nice feature.

The best part about it though is that it was incredibly cheap compared to other similar models. I am 14 and on a very tight budget and this was perfect for me.

I have heard bad things about the customer service as Bassline1414 has clearly stated in another article. But since mine has always worked fine I have not had to deal with them.

8. I have a Genz Benz 212t-xb. I love this thing! It was probably my best investment so far. It has more mids than other 12's I've played. I power it with my Hartke 3500.

9. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    Genz Benz is excellent at any price.I have the GBE250 combo with 2 10's and a Genz Benz 15 cab and the sound is very clean,not washed with some manufactures sound.I get to hear my basses own individual sound.
    The quality is very impressive.
    And yes I've emailed GB and had the owner email me back and other service people too.I'm always impressed when a owner gets involved with customer relations.
    I once called GK and spoke to Rick Krueger and that impressed me also.
    If a owner will take the time to listen to me then that show's me he cares.

10. Jman, that's exactly what I found the reason I chose it is because it sounded like my bass and just had an allround better sound.

Brian, I remember reading the stats on SWR and Genz and the fact that they do use similar parts was what sort of alerted me about them other wise I would not have bothered even taking time to listen to them but now I'm reaping the benefits from it.

11. Where do they sell Genz Benz? I have never seen it in any local shops, and I havent been able to find it at BassNW or any other online stores? Any links? I want to know prices.

12. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
  13. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    Haven't played the XB version, but have spent time on a 410 Standard...thought it was actually quite good sounding! I tried it with a Genz Benz and a Trace head and it responded well to the tones the amps produced. Not HUGE in the low-end, but was okay at louder volumes with some boost in the 80hz region...no farting, when used judiciously.

Built solid, and price sure was great! If I wasn't happy with my 1x15 Trace combo (and felt like lugging bigger cabinets around again) it would certainly be under consideration...especially on a tight budget (multiple cabs, emphasis on loud--without the audiophile requirements)

Best Wishes

14. TCollins

TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
  15. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    I've been giggin with a 4-10 genzbenz for about five years now-
    I just recently added a mesa boogie 1x15 to the rig just to push some more air but I would definetly recommend the genz benz- it just keeps pumping!
    Slade www.uglybassplayer.com

16. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    Does anyone know how much a Genz 6x10XB would run for either Canadian or American dollars(just specify)?

17. Rockfiend,
    When I bought my 4X10 the 6X10 was about $1900AUS so maybe it would be approximatley the same as the Cannadian. Try and email them about the price or you could import it for just as cheap from an online dealer.