1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz GBE750 - can someone describe the tube channel?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassguppy, Aug 27, 2007.

1. I don't have a dealer that carries Genz Benz near me and I'm too lazy to drive any distance. Can someone give input on describing the GBE 750's tube channel sound.

Is it smooth, grindy, heavy? Is it similar to other amp manufacturers? Does it sound similar to any OD or dist. pedals? Has anyone switched out the tube with better results?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Metropolis_488

Metropolis_488 Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Central Virginia
    I love the the tube OD created by the Tube channel on the GBE750 - it's not buzzy at all, but rather, very smooth OD. Sounds like my Fulltone Bassdrive on low settings. The great thing about it is the ability to blend it with the FET channel...I set the tube channel for some grit, EQ out all the low end and boost the upper mids and treble; then on the FET channel, EQ out the high end, boost the lows and low mids. It's like having a two amp setup in one 2rack space.

Sorry for the tangent...I consider it to be a smooth OD channel. Based on the gain setting, it can go from the lagging response of an all tube head played clean (it replaced my 400+ that I swore I would never part with) or it can sound like a good amp with a high-end OD pedal placed in front of it. Every one that hears it loves it. You can't get a bad sound out of that amp.

Even with as much talk as these heads get on this forum, I still think that they are very under-rated amps.

3. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I find the GBE 750 has a smooth OD as well. I try to dial in a very classic rock tone with my tube channel. Slightly ODriven, i cut a little treble, I add a little bass and run the mids just about flat. EVERYONE who hears the band loves the sound. I've had bass players come up to me and ask where I got the G-B and can't believe the tone I can get from this amp. I usually set the FET channel for a slap tone. I don't do a lot of slap songs, but when I do, man it's nice to simply step on the footswitch and go! Once in awhile, I'll mix the two and it blows the doors off. It's such a versatile amp. G-B are underrated and need more exposure. I almost swapped it for a NEO-PAK 3.5. (which is a great amp as well) but it was too hard to give up all the tone you can generate from the GBE 750. You will not be sorry with this amplifier. Plus, you can't beat their customer service. Just today, I was speaking to Jeff Genzler himself.

4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    There are some Youtube vids of Ed Friedland playing a Jazz bass with some overdrive tones on it.

5. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    The overdrive is nice. Agree with hasbeen, check out the youtube videos, specifically the one called Gridlock or something. That will give you an idea of the tone. Note that the sound quaility isn't all that great. Ed recorded all that with a home video camera using the built-in mic. I know caused I emailed him when this came up here a while back.

I don't think that the tone is near as laggy as an all tube head, however. There's only one tube there, and the power section is all SS. It stays fairly punchy even when overdriven IMO, but it does soften things up a bit. The GB head is also a little brighter sounding than many heads, although it's certainly not brittle. You can darken it a bit by turning the highs down a few notches if you want. It's just a great head.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    +1 to everything above. They really are great sounding heads--I should really have kept mine.

Oh well, maybe it's time I pick up a GBE1200 to replace it.

7. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    +10000000.. only i have the same experience with a gbe1200..

8. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I really like the GBE's tube channel, but for me, in all honesty, the thing thats gets me in GB heads is versatility with really good tone. If you just want a tube voice, I personally prefer the Mesa V12 Big block, but that's my opinion.

9. The GBE750 is now ordered!!!! s/b here in 4-5 days.

I've asked other questions regarding the Genz on other threads and want to give thanks to all who helped.

One final question to any who now has the 750 or 1200. The supplied 5-button footswitch, how long is the 6 DIN cable? I'm assuming :)eyebrow: ) around 10ft. If needed, would a 6 DIN male-female extension work or would it not be compatible? I'm in the process of creating a small 3-4 effect pedalboard & would prefer to have the footswich on the board. If not, oh well.

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    For those that own the GB 750/1200, is it easy/possible to dial in the Ampeg tone if you had an 810 or NV610?

11. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    It's MUCH longer than 10 ft. At least 20. I haven't had mine out in a while, so not sure.

12. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Well, I don't think it's the same kind of grind, a little different, but you could get something going on that would approximate the feel.

13. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    My cable on my footswitch is about 25 feet long... its long....

14. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    I have the gbe1200...To me its Ampeg on Steroids. I used ampeg for decades.... Svt, SVT2, SVT3,SVT3pro,SVT4,100t... you name it.

It does not sound exactly like and ampeg but i think it is louder, and punchier... with both the FET and Tube Pre running together you can get some interesting EQ settings and when combined sound like an SVT.
    Its just as warm as an ampeg but Easily has more bite if you want it...Its faster if you use the FET channel or it can get a tube lag on the Tube channel.. The EQ is real friendly and very easy .. yet so versatile its crazy.. And with the global EQ to can create low end that will crack the planet..
    No hype, this thing is amazing.... If it were female i would be set for a while;) only kidding

15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Thanks. I was hoping you'd chime in since you've owned/played most of that stuff. I was kinda figuring the GB stuff would be better and especially with the customer service/support you get from GB. :)

16. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I think it's better, but it's a different kind of grind. It's hard to answer for you since you might not prefer it as well. I love it.

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I owned an SVT4Pro and a GBE750. I much preferred the GB sound to the Ampeg sound, but again, that boils down to personal preference.

If I were to go out and buy an all-in-one head again, without a doubt it would be a GBE1200. And this is coming from someone who loved his SVT4 Pro.

18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Let us know how you like it.

I have no experience of the GB's, but the material posted on their site leads me to beleive they're well thought out and designed. No marketing technobabble crap. If I didn't make most of my own gear, I'd be tempted to import one. One of the GB Engineers (hasbeen?) posts here on occaision.

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use a GB Neo-Pak 3.5 with my GB Neo212 and it sounds really nice. I've never been an Ampeg fan but I like the tone on this when I crank the tube up a bit. Not overdone. Just nice for my pop/rock cover band.