1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz NEOX-212T or Avatar B212 Neo ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snappytom, Mar 21, 2006.

1. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    Am seriously interested in a 212 Neo cab and was originally looking at a GB NEOX-212T as a primary and an Avatar B212 as an additional cab when I need all the power out of my GBE600 (each cab would be 4 Ohms).

The Genz looks to be a great cabinet, but everyone who has an Avatar raves about them also. And the Scotsman in me cannot ingore the price. I could get 2 B212's for a bit more than the price of 1 212T.

Is putting these 2 cabs up against each other a fair comparison or is the Genz more expensive for significant reasons ?

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I think the GB has a better cab shape (gets a little more mids and treble up to the ears when its on the floor and you are close) and a better crossover, and it definitely sounds better - maybe because its got the woofers in vertical array (and thus less reflected sound off cieling and floor and more to the sides).

I'm not sure if their drivers are stock or not but their design definitely makes the best of things.

3. Flipper

Flipper sale: Sadowsky NYC PJ5

Jan 11, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    +1 on shape. I never have trouble hearing myself on stage, and I don't play too terribly loud.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    To clarify... the drivers are not a stock driver but are designed to allow us to tune the NEO-X cabinets to our own design target without the limitations of a "stock" driver. It allows us to get more from a design.

5. Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    I don't think I understand the meaning of "stock" in this context. I guess if its not "stock" then its a custom, built to spec speaker that is tuned to the cab design? I sure like the hell outta mine....

6. Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Who makes the speakers?

7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Correct, it is based on Eminence parts, built to our specifications. It is not a drop-in replacement for othe Neo type drivers built by Eminence for other manufacturers, as the tuning is quite different. It also uses an edge-wound voicecoil to improve efficiency.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I suspected that but couldn't say with certainty. And those stock original Deltalites certainly do have their limitations A guy showed up with a Neo-X212 at jam night at a local hot spot and even the guitarists who usually just want the bass to not be shrill or overpowering were remarking about the tone's awesome power. They even wanted MORE bass in the stage mix! I thought it was great too - that I was kind of kicking myself for always dialing up the beat-up (wont_name_names) supplied rig best as I could instead of bringing my own great rig. Playing though his for a couple songs was a lift.

So kudos on the great design - now just would love to see you guys do a three-way!

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Thanks for the kind words.

10. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    Here's one more vote for the Genz-Benz cabinet. I have had one since last summer. The very first gig I used it on was an outdoor gig on a huge stage. I was asked to turn it down!! It really sounded great with my USA Lakland Hollowbody. Also last fall in NYC at Music Player live I got to play the GBE 1200 Head thru 2 2x12 Neo cabs, now that was a killer rig for any stituation I can come up with. Thanks to Roger at Genz-Benz for the demo.

As far as the Avatar cabs go . . They sound just OK in my opinion, but they just have a vibe like they were built in somebody's garage and I am not comfortable with that feeling . . sorry and no offense to Avatar.

11. I think they're too busy filling orders to feel any offense. ;)

I've too heard great things about the GB Neos (being an Avatar owner) but one thing to remember is over 2:1 price difference. Does that mean that the GB is 2x better than the Avatar? I doubt it.

No ending line, no deep though. If I could have afforded the GBs I might have gone there, but that wasn't a possability. Personally, I think the price difference is more expensive for significant, but not overwhelming reason.

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    I think it all depends on where and how somebody realizes that cost difference.

13. +++ on the GB. Been using the 212 NeoX for about a year , getting ready to add a second to my rig. The GB does not shake the walls like my old stuff but has a very consistant tone from stage to stage. I went through alot of cab's before choosing the GB. Plus @ 62 pounds it is a one arm lift.

Bryan

14. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    As MiniMic said ... no offense to Avatar ..... I am going with the Genz. The shape/design of the cabinet along with the glowing testimonials has confirmed what I pretty much knew all along, get the Genz.

Another factor is the outstanding customer service I have experienced from Genz-Benz where Jeff Genzler responded to my e-mail questions about a used GBE600 I recently acquired. Backing up a product without question is what customer service is all about. If I get treated like gold regardless of how I acquired the product, they got me, and that is where I will put my money, confidence, and loyalty.

Now I just need to convince the wife about spending more $$ on the cab.

15. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Another vote for the G-B. I went from a 410 XB to the NeoX 212T and never looked back. Huge, warm deep tone and plenty of volume with my SVT-3Pro. My back loves it even more!!!!!!!

16. Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Think I'd be safe adding another 2x12 Neox to the one I've already got? Head is a GBE600.

17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Not a problem!

18. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    I vote for GBE, I have never regretted buying the Neox 212, it has killer tone.

Billy-Bob

19. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Fantastic choice. I played through a 212 this weekend and was amazed. I actually ended up buying a NEOX-112T combo.

20. Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm glad GB is starting to get some well deserved recognition. With so many other manufacturers going in the toilet, getting bought out, selling out, straying from original designs and down grading components......I fell like this company has my back the way SWR did 15 years ago.