1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz or Markbass heads move atop cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blah114, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    What do you guys do to prevent your lightweight heads from moving.. I have a Berg "carpeted" cab.. I thought getting velcro... I notice the heads move atop the cabs, due to vibrations..

Suggestions appreciated.. did a search and could not find anything..

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There's a material you can buy in the home furnishings section of a hardware store or all-purpose department store, it's a foamed vinyl mesh which is used to keep tablecloths, silverware trays, and other stuff from shifting around in drawers or on tables/shelves. Comes in a roll, and it's cheap. Works great.

3. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Yup, that's the best. I bought a full roll of the stuff at Wal Mart for $5.00. Black color. I put a cut piece under the amp, and have a 4" wide piece on my mini GK head, and put my tuner, earplugs, whatever on there and they don't budge. It's very handy to have.

4. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    a small problem is the bergantino cab has a handle atop the cabinet.. that is also part of the problem.. for the genz, I will have to buy rubber "feet" that make the head sit above the handle first.. I think velcro might be best.. for a flat-surfaced cabinet, yes, the vinyl stuff will be great.. and I will get a small piece of that.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    So you kind of answered your own question... due to the handle, it's moving. So just buy some feet.

6. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    I made a couple of these out of a high density rubber mat which you can get at any hardware store. It fits under the cover of my berg so I don't have to carry an extra piece.

CIMG1550.

CIMG1551.

CIMG1552.

7. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    thanks.. I did sort of answer my own question.. but the head still moves when placed above the handle.. thanks for all the ideas.. I really do not at all care for the HT112 handle.. it seems very cheap for such a nice speaker. I set the HT112 atop an EX112S.. The HT112 is a bit deeper.. the stack looks odd, but the sound is amazing from teh two cabs. The HT112 has to go atop because of the handle as well as the cab size..

I really like the foam dense mat idea.. thanks for all the ideas.. the head is moving around because of its light weight.. I also have the 12T cab, with the handle (sleeve into which the Genz head fits).. that is a great setup.. but I prefer the berg cabs overall.. above any others.

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Avoid velcro unless you want to give your cab an afro.

9. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    The cabinet shakes? Is it a lightweight cabinet with less bracing?

10. sigged.

11. see, sounds are caused by vibrating waves of air.

12. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    Yes.. I think the head just vibrates from the cabinet.. I will simply get a rubber mat.. Again, not a big fan of the handle on top.. but I knew that going in (when I bought the cab).

Thanks for the velcro "afro" advice.. I don't want to tear up the cabinet.. or make it "frizzy.." the best solution is genz benz's sleeve.. but if I want to have multiple heads, of varying sizes, then that's out.

13. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

If you stack your cabs "on their sides" you'll get a slightly taller stack with the handles on the sides. Or you could turn just the HT112 so the handle is on the side. That would give you a flat surface with no handle to set the amp on.

14. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I might do that.. I can maybe stack the HT112 on its side.. but I am always fearful (this is nuts) that the cab will have issues.. the horn will be sonically different due to being in a different location.. I am also worried about the entire stack crashing, or getting bumped.. but that's a different story altogether.. light cabs are nice to carry, but they can topple a lot easier than heavy 4x10 cabs..

15. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I have a pair of Epi PS112s that I stack vertically on their left side. This avoids having to set the shuttle on the handle. Works just fine and not easy to topple over.

MX

16. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh Ok. Then why is the wood of the cabinet vibrating? :D

OP, you probably don't want to go to the trouble of opening up your cabinet, but if you added bracing inside, it would solve the vibrating and increase the volume (as the shaking of the wood absorbs energy). It would also add weight.

17. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    thanks.. my problem is my two berg cabs are different sizes.. but thanks.. the berg ht112 does not fit perfectly atop the ex112s.. but the combination is amazing.

With the berg.. the shuttle or my current test LMII actually moves.. I think it's because the cab is vibrating..

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think this looks like a great idea. The bracket/handle on my Genz Benz is a cool little feature.

19. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    The black rubber stuff from walmart actually works perfect for the handle. I had a Shuttle 6 and cut a piece the exact size of the shuttle, and just set the amp on it right over the handle, and it tilted the head up just right, and there is no way it is going to move around or slide. No fancy feet or anything necessary. I wish I'd have bought a roll years ago. It has many uses. I bring the roll and put it under my Berg AE112 cabinet for a tilt up on small stages. It keeps the cab from moving too.

20. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I went out today and bought the following:
    1) Chair leg cover sleeves.. chair legs fit into them.. they will raise the heighth of the LMII
    2) "grippers" from a hardware store.. they adhere to the bottom of the Shuttle 6.0.. and raise it in heighth
    3) spaces for the LMII.. plastic spacers.. I will re attach the rubber legs on the LMII, but they will have more space between themselves and the LMII.. making it higher.
    4) I could not find the WalMArt stuff, amazingly.. that was my first preference.. I found some stuff similar, but it was as thin as paper.. thus not raising the level / heigth of either the LMII or the shuttle. I own the shuttle.. I am merely borrowing the LM II.

So where, within WalMart, can I find this stuff? The home section?