Genz Shuttle 6.0 and... doom?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 6810, Jul 9, 2008.

1. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Ok, so by the looks of it, the GB Shuttle 6.0 has probably the
    most wattage for the dollar out there at the moment.

I live in Japan, so the light weight of the 6.0 combined with the cheap US price (it costs $1600 here) makes buying one from the States a very attractive option. The US price even beats out second hand amps even with comparable power.

What I am wondering though is, most of the owners of the 6.0 on TB seem to be using it in Jazz or rock or blues contexts. Is anyone using it in a more "metallic" context?

Specifically, can the GB 6.0 handle slower, heavy doom? I play in a power trio with a half stack guitarist and drummer. My sound is low and mostly mids, fairly wooly but not too distorted. The idea would be to pair the head with either a 2x15 or a 4x10. I recently found a SWR Goliath III 410 at a great price and at 900W @ 4ohm it looks like the cab for me...

Anyone out there have any advice?

Can the GB 6.0 handle doom?

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Just buy one. They are all they are cracked up to be. best customer service you will find if there are any problems and the amp sounds fantastic. I love mine.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If you are concerned with customer service, make sure you buy it from a dealer authorized to sell to Japan. Otherwise, you don't have a warranty.

4. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    As for the lack of warranty... that is a risk I am willing to take.

Buy a 6.0 from the US including postage and insurance <$700

Buy a 6.0 from Japan including postage and insurance >$1600

It's a matter of economics.

Plus, there are loads of warranty-less amps imported here every other day - it's a risk we take for the latest gear at affordable prices.

As an aside - I wanted to import an Electric 180W power unit (all tube, hand made) and a set of 2x12 speakers...

amp - $2700
    Cab - $1200
    Shipping - $1800 :crying:

Anyway, anyone using the GB 6.0 for heavier applications than I see most commonly on this board? I'm interested in your experiences...

5. i'd PM hasbeen or agedhorse to inquire about the warranty.. ime, you won't have any problems with them regarding warranty, they know who built it and are more than willing to make their customers happy

6. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Warranty is the responsibility of the distributor in most cases, so buying from a U.S. store could be an issue. I'm not sure, just sayin'. Best to know for sure. Don't rely on TB users for your info. Go to the Genz website and use the contact page to send an email to support and find out what your options are.

7. Warranty is fine internationally but you will still need to return it to your place of purchase in the US for them to deal with it.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    As to the 'doom' question, I dont know, but its a 600w amp. Thats a good place to start. Add your favourite 'doom' pedals and I think that will get you on the right track. Its a very clean sounding amp, but with the right pedals, it might work for 'doom'.

9. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    1. Warranty - I had a good read of the terms and conditions. If I buy from the US, then I have to send to the US for any warranty stuff. I have to provide proof of my original receipt. From what I gather, this means that the GB importer/distributor/extortionist (nothing against GB by the way with that last one) won't honour my warranty since I did not buy in Japan. No biggie there, since I can always send it back to the states via friends etc.

2. Doom. 600W sounds like a good start to me too. With the right cab, in a three piece and the small venues we play in it should in theory be fine. I guess I was just looking for opinions from anyone using the shuttle in a "harder" (as in volume) genre. It's almost hard to believe that those little 6.0s can pump out that many watts.

Pedals - check.

Cab - Almost (negotiating).

GB 6.0 - Another month to go before my credit card is clear and I can justify another purchase!

Sorry to shamelessly bump, but - is anyone using the 6.0 at high volumes in heavy/hard rock settings?

10. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Yeah, I want full tube, but it just costs too much. The 6.0 just has the watts I need and it's about $300 cheaper than the LMII over here...

there is always the used market... but the price on the GB 6.0!

11. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree. It's not designed for distortion by itself, but if you doom up your tone using pedals, it will cleanly reproduce the doom. :)

12. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Great - all I need is enough watts to get the volume I need. Tube tone distortion will have to wait until I get a 4th job.

13. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Mine arrived yesterday and I got to play with it a few hours last night. It seems to be all it's advertised as being. Small, light lots of power (as far as I could tell) and nicely voiced. Through my 3-way Yamaha PA speakers (AS312) it sounded great, but those speakers are dreadfully inefficient (very hi-fi). Through more efficient speakers it sounded very good. In all cases the basses maintained their personalities but it showed them in their best light.

It's too early for an objective review - I'm still too stoked by it - but at this point I'd recommend it.

Added: In another thread someone referred to the Shuttle's "Laid back sound". I think I agree with that assessment. With my 55-01 I was able to switch to the bridge pickup only and pluck over it. Usually that results in a fairly thin and nasally sound with that bass. With the Shuttle it just sounded nice and punchy. I want a pair of aggressive cabs to go with it. That's next on my list. Cheap, small, efficient, light, aggressive 12" cabs with no tweeters - eight ohm, capable of handling what the Shuttle puts out. It's actually not that tall an order: Small, somewhat-middy and efficient go together as do one-way and cheap. I'll probably build them.

KO

14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Just a quick note... The LMII seems louder to me than the shuttle. I've read that others share that feeling as well. With my LMII and Epi UL115 I have huge volume available even though its 8 ohms... with my shuttle + UL115 not so much. If volume is a big consideration, which it seems to be, you might want to consider that.

Also, if you need a crap load of volume, you might want to consider the carvin b1500 and bx1200. They are ALOT of heavier, but about the same price and way more volume available than either of these micro heads. Many metal guys love the b1500.

15. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Ok, loads of great advice so far.

I had actually tossed around the idea of a LMII, but like I said earlier, they tend to be a few hundred dollars more than an imported GB 6.0. I might try my luck at talking a LMII seller down. If I can get it for a reasonable price then I would obviously prefer to buy here in Japan.

The problem with buying new in Japan, is as I have said elsewhere, to do with import costs. Not duties or tax, but rather shipping. Amps weigh so much that anything outside of what is being sold by the mainstream distributors/importers is either sold at boutique prices or you have to import it yourself. And fork out for the shipping and any subsequent modifications for voltage and so on.

In other words, the Carvin you reccomended is virtually non-existent.

Here's the thing though: although there is a thriving used market, it tends to be centered in Tokyo. For me to get to Tokyo it would add at least $200 to any price – so trying before buying becomes rather difficult.

Hence my interest in the widely praised micro amps such as the 6.0 and the LMII. I'm not totally attached to these little amps. After all, the thing I am specifically after is enough watts to produce enough volume to compete with an old-school Black Sabbath/St Vitus guitar tone. The smallness/lightness of the amp is just an added bonus and only counts if I buy from overseas.

So, is/does it seem to be that the LMII goes louder than the 6.0?

Finally, how about a Neo-Pak 3.5? Would that get the job done (I found one at a good price)?

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm.. maybe maybe not... it wont do Boris like levels, but its still pretty flippin' loud.

IME, 6x the wattage of the guitarist, in case he/she feels like cranking it all the way, usually does the trick. the main thing you should also worry about is how speakers you got.

17. Grimoire

Grimoire

Oct 29, 2001
    Ålesund, Norway
    I bought mine from the US, it failed on the first gig of my Euro tour, they sent me a replacement. I did not have a valid warranty, as I live in the UK, and bought from the US (a licensed US dealer too). They back their products up.

People seem to call my band 'doom' - I use it for that live (and recently in a session for another 'doom' band), it's brilliant. Don't rely on the tube for grit though, it's very subtle. The amp is powerful though, have no doubt about that.

18. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    It's pretty damn loud and the customer service is second to none. Do you need anything else?

19. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Well, you guys have me pretty much convinced. Probably pick mine up (figuratively, via the internet) next week.

As far as loud goes - I don't need Boris/Sunn0))) type volume. Just enough to lay down a melodic grooving background with the occasional "lead".

If I'm running a setup at 4ohms/600w then according to the 4-6x the watts of the guitarist rule then I should be fine. After all, I'm only playing small to medium clubs (I am in Japan, so however small you think is small, halve that idea and you'll be getting close. Your small is probably close to my medium!).

I'll post pics and reviews once I get it up and running. Might be a while yet though!

20. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Well, I got my 6.0 today.

Brilliant, the clearest I have heard my B-string sound - ever!

The folks at Bass NW hooked me up with a great price. Thanks for the tip - you TBers know who you are.

Paid import duty - a whopping $22!!!!

Only problem is, I have to buy a Japanese earthed appliance cord cos we have a slightly different setup to the US... but that's what the local music store is for!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021