1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Shuttle 6.0 and Mesa MPulse 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pfschim, Feb 25, 2008.

1. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    okey dokey ..

there was a thread recently that was comparing the Mesa Walkabout with the latest and greatest GAS inducing piece of gear ... the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0.

I really thought that the Shuttle 6 should be compared to the MPulse 600 as these are both fairly light weight 600w @ 4ohm hybrid heads.

Now, my real reason for asking is that I have been considering an MPulse 600 to get more clean headroom than my wonderful Walkabout can reasonably produce in larger/louder situations. I've tried the MPulse out in a few settings and really like it. BUT (there's always a but), now, along comes the Shuttle 6 and many of you are raving about it.

So, I am often struck by how hard the "newest coolest gear on the block" syndrome strikes here at TB but, in order to do honest due diligence, I thought I'd put up an MPulse 600 vs Shuttle 6.0 thread to see what constructive considerations might come up.

What say you all ?? (and let's please not focus simply on weight and form factor) .. and, I realize that the best test is to go try one out, but given the newness and scarcity of the Shuttle, I'm not sure where I can go hear one at the moment.

2. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    my expert advice, owning both a 600 and a walkabout, is that there are basically identicle. id say your plan is a go.

3. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    thanks for the encouragement on the 600, I'm already mostly sold on it really. Its a great amp. I've tried it out live on top of a PH1x15, in it's 2x10 Venture version, and the 2x12 Venture (latest model). all sounded really good to me and I do have a thing for Mesa gear.

But, what I'm really looking for here is someone to chime in on the similarities/differences between the MPulse 600 and the Shuttle 6.0 which I think would be a natural compare given the power rating and relative size/weight relationship of these two amps (even though the MPulse is ~20lbs heavier).

I am certainly open to considering new gear like the GB Shuttle, just not sure how these amps compare.

4. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    well, I thought I'd get some opinions on this compare thread, particularly with all the crazy buzz about the Shuttle and the fairly numerous MPulse users here ..... but I guess not :meh:

I suppose I'm just going to have to find a shop in the SF area that carries both .. (yeah, right ! .. ha)

5. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Maybe Gelb is a dealer for both lines, might be worth a call.

FWIW, with the Fathom about to roll out at $999, I bet Mesa will soon discontinue the M-Pulse600. There's just too much downward pressure on price, what with all the new offshore-built mighty midget amps. Then again, I thought Mesa would be showing a 400+ replacement at NAMM, so much for my crystal ball.

Sorry I didn't answer your question.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, the MPulse 600 is lightish but not sure I'd call it lightweight - it's over 20lbs. Not a back breaker, but still much more than 4 lbs :)

I've found the MPulse 600 a bit clearer sounding than the walkabout, not the same default thickness in low/low mids. Not a huge difference, but there is one. From my limited experience with the Shuttle (one 4 hour gig), I'd put it closer to the MPulse than the Walkabout.

7. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    As I've said in a few other threads, I don't find the MPulse and Walkabout to sound the same. I owned them both and used both in the same day, and found the Mpulse to be clean through most of the preamp gain control. The Walkabout, on the other hand, would break up at around 11 o'clock. The difference could be ascribed to different preamp tubes, but that was my observation. I had a hard time making the Mpulse breakup. I can't compare the Shuttle, as I haven't used it, but I would say that Mpulse = clean tube sound, whereas, Walkabout = dirty tube sound.

The Mpulse is even heavier if you have it in its "head" case. Definitely not a lightweight.

8. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    the weight difference is (non-headcase) is about 20lbs .. not worried about that difference at all.

and to those who are offering Walkabout - MPulse 600 advice, thanks but I'm pretty well up on both .. I have used the Walkabout as a main gig rig for almost 2 years, and have been able to gig test the MPulse (either as a head + cab set up with a PH 1x150, and in both versions of the Venture combo (2x10 and 2x12).

just sort of intrigued by the idea of a 3.5lb 600w amp .. the Shuttle 6.0.

FWIW, spoke with Ed Cagnacci at Gelb music this afternoon. Ed's a good guy for sure, and Gelb carries both Mesa and GB. Ed felt like the MPulse had "way more volume and percieved power" than the Shuttle, although he allowed that the Shuttle was pretty amazing for the size. He felt a Shuttle 6.0 compared more to the Walkabout ... in his opinion.

I'm going wait till they have another Shuttle int eh shop and go over and try them out side by side (always the best way, short of gig trial) and see how they compare to my ears.