1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Shuttle 6.0 issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by randysmojo, Jan 5, 2012.

1. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have a loaner Shuttle 6.0 that I used a couple of gigs and loved, but in replacing the preamp tubes in my other amp, wanted to try out. Decided to use the Genz again for a gig last weekend, but when I turned it on I got some low volume crackle and pop stuff. It was happening even when the input was muted. I didn't have time to try much, so I just switched amps with same cables and cab, etc, and all was well. Opened it up and tube seemed seated well, and all ribbon cables. Haven't had a chance to hook it back up at home to check, but will try tonight. Oh yards, when having the issue, the bass sounded great still. Sound guy was affraid sound would come through out front or house, so for the sake of ease, swapped amps. Could this just be dirty, loose effects loop jacks, any other ideas?:confused:

2. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    As a first step, I'd recommend cleaning out the effects loop jacks. Shuttles are very highly regarded for reliability and it's most likely something very simple to fix.

3. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That's what I'm hoping. I'll try it tonight.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Effects loop jack is the most likely cause, also check to see that the small gray jumper wire behind the master volume control is fully seated.

5. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks. Didn't know about the jumper. I will be buying one of my own once I can sell my older Ampeg. Just want to make sure to get my friend's functioning right so I can still use it while selling my Ampeg, and so it is fine when I return it to him!!!!

6. It'll 99% be the FX loop jacks. I had the VERY SAME problem with my Shuttle 6.0.
    I just sprayed a li'l elec contact cleaner(de-oxit) on a jack plug & plugged it in & out of the FX in & out sockets a few times & -problem solved.
    Great li'l amp!

7. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Great! I found my can of de-oxit last night!

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Just a little DeOxit goes a long way.

If there's still a problem, Scott can always give it a look, they are pretty easy for us to service in the shop. I don't think it takes more than about 15-20 minutes to repair anything on one.

9. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There is no jumper of any kind or grey wire of any kind in this amp. Where there any different versions or something? The date inside is February 2008.

10. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Don't matter. Cleaned the effects loop jacks, and it is good as new!!!!!!

11. :) Great stuff! Good to hear.

12. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Nice to know. I have read about the fx jack fix for other amps as well. I haven't had an issue with my GB 6.0 (knock on wood). Love this amp!

13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    There may not be, I was just going from memory and recalled an amp with a similar problem that turned out to be the jumper not fully seated.

14. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I am experiencing a similar problem and I do not have a gray wire either.
    How does a person "clean" the effects loop?

15. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    +1

Best amp I ever owned..hands down.
    also the lightest. .whatever thats worth. Also the bluest blue leds that can melt your enemy's retinas. .if need be. ;)

16. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Get some type of contact cleaner (De-oxit) or whatever. Spray inside the FX loop jacks. Take your standard instrument/1/4" cable and pop it in and out of the jacks a few times. This will clean them.

17. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    +1

18. 9mmMike

Thanks. I never use the FX loop so I am not sure why they might cause me a problem but my issue is so similar to the OP, I will give this a go.

19. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    The problem happens because you don't use the FX loop and it gets a bit gunky with dust and all.

The suggested fix is extremely easy and should get you going. It works well with other amps too as first step towards troubleshooting.

6.0 is a great amp.

20. 9mmMike

Thanks.

I have a couple of these amps now and have never had trouble with any of them. I regularly gig with a 9.0 and just recently picked up a Shuttle Max 9.2 that I am beginning to take to gigs. I do love these amps.

The one in question is an older 6.0 that came attached to a combo. I have been using this one at church every Sunday for a couple months. The darn thing started misbehaving at the same moment that I added an extension cab. I tried disconnecting each cab and changing the speak-on cables and nothing worked. I tried tapping on the top to see if the tube was starting to go and I heard a snap/pop and the dang thing started working OK. I gave the whole unit a "wiggle" by grabbing the combo from the bracket handle and it came back. Then it went away and I have not been able to recreate the noise since I opened it up and looked for the mysterious gray jumper and made sure that the tube was well-seated.
    Now I do not trust the amp to take to a gig and I was planning on trying the 112 stack at the next show this Saturday.
    I will try the effects loop cleaning as well and just keep practicing the rest of the week with it to see if the issue comes back.
    As long as it is the amp and not the cab, (I tried both cabs and the noise remained whether they were both connected or if I swapped between the two), I can always slide one of my older 6.0's into the combo I guess.
    I'd really like to try a 112 stack.
    Thanks again.