1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz ShuttleMax 12 Tube Channel Not Working

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AtomicPunk, Aug 2, 2012.

1. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    my ShuttleMax 12's tube channel is not working, I am assuming the tube needs replacing. It's been this way for a few weeks. I am using the FET channel and all is well, but I would like to fix this.
    Would love it if some Genz experts can chime in on what tube to replace it with and how to replace it. (I haven't replaced a tube on an amp yet!)
    Thanks in advance!

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Does sound like it's most likely the tube. Any standard 12AX7 will work, I suggest using something close to the original and in general I avoid the LPS types because they can be mechanically noisy and have somewhat different bias and current curves than a standard plate tube. Replacing is quite simple, be sure to disconnect your amp from the power source, and line the pins up with the socket noting where the gap is in the pattern.

3. AtomicPunk

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    Thank you for your reply! I love the amp and want to make sure to do it right.

4. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll walk you through it.

5. AtomicPunk

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    I ordered the Ruby 12AX7 tube today and I should have it early next week. Thanks again for the assist.

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    No problem, let me know if this gets you up and running again. If not, I will get it resolved for you no worries.