1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GenzBenz Neox212T--need some input

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Anthbass, May 29, 2007.

1. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I requested help looking for a suitable 410 cab a few months ago and rec'd lots of good input. I have now played about 20 different 410's and am gettin' the distinct impression that 10's are not my cuppa. I took my head (B800) with me to a local store last week and played through an Aguilar GS212, which I very much liked. I also gave a Mesa Powerhouse 212 a go and liked it even more. I seem to be drawn to a thicker, meatier rock sound, ala Mesa. The Genz I have had no chance to try and wanted some opinions as to how it stacks up sonically to the above two cabs. If the Genz is great, I will pester my dealer to bring one in. Thanks.

2. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Yes, the Genz is great. The gs212 to me is not a meaty rock cabinet. The Neox is more even sounding, and very articulate, so perhaps not a rock sound. I really like it however. BigMikeW here likes more traditionally voiced cabinets, and he was very impressed with the Neox 212T. If you can get a listen on one of these, I would check it out. Best 212 out there IMO.

3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Inactive

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    This is why my ears were burning. :D

Yes, I dig a more traditional sounding cab. The Neox212T is still off the hook. More articulate than the Aggie or the Mesa cabs but very thick sounding; especially if you turn the horn down and roll off some highs. That seems to take the leading edge off the cab a bit. I like them a lot.

Not to stear you in a different direction but have you thought of trying a couple 15" cabs? That'll definitely get you the old school rock sound!

4. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Mike - Glad I didn't say what I almost said about you! :) j/k

FWIW, I've done a couple of things to get a more traditional sound out of my Neox 212 when I want it. First, I do like Mike suggested. Roll off some highs, boost some lows and low mids. Then I overdrive the tube channel a bit on my Neo-pak or 1200. Another thing that really softens up the attack is using an EBS Multi-comp pedal on the "Tubism" setting, and setting the compression around 4:1. It seems to kinda of emulate a multi-tube input section. It's close enough to traditional rock sound that in a live mix it sounds great to my ears.

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I retired my Genz-Benz 410XB because it was just too big and heavy and replaced it with a NeoX 212T and have not looked back!!!!! Anyone wanna' buy my 410XB? It's mint!

6. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Inactive

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

:confused:

Interesting. Good idea.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Still my favorite 212 cab around. Must have more internal volume because it gets more out of the drivers than others - or is it just that the vertical alignment and having a speaker's polar cone of influence closer to the ears makes it work better as a bass guitar stage monitor? The tweeter seems to blend better with the woofers too.

I like the form factor much better, though I'd love to see a Duratex or similar industrial finish.

8. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Just joking with you, buddy, in response to your burning ears comment.

9. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I love mine. Haven't gigged with it yet, as I bought it while I was still getting settled in after a move to Nashville. First gig with it and the NeoPak head is this Saturday though! Can't wait.

The cab is pretty amazing. Very deep and rich, and very lightweight. Versatile, as others have said, since you can get a modern tone from it or back off the tweeter for some nice old-school sound.

Liam

10. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    OT, sorry:

Jason .... hmmm, multicomp eh? I'm looking for a compressor pedal, and was thinking of the BBE Opticomp. Might have to check out the EBS as well now after your description ...

Thanks,
    Liam

11. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
  12. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    The NEOX-212T cabs are amazing! I will be adding a secon 212T cab to my rig soon, for outdoor shows and larger venues....

Currently using a GBE1200 and one NEOX-212T..

13. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I currently use a 215 which I quite like, but it is rather inconvenient to move around in my small car. I don't expect a 212 to move the same amount of air but I am looking for a similar sound. The Genz is getting rave reviews, so I will see if my local shop will bring one in. Thanks to everyone for their input.

14. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey, thanks man.

I bought the BBE OptoComp for now, as I found it in stock at Corner Music here in Nashville. Plugged it in to a fretless Stingray, into their in-stock NeoPak and Neox212t, and was in heaven.

I may try the EBS comp as well sometime down the road ...

Liam

15. Maybe showin my noobness, but how do you do this?

By the way Im running a GBE 600 through my 212 and its the BEEZY!! (translation-"the bomb"-awesome x 100) lol.

16. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Inactive

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I think you will be shocked when you hear what comes out of the 212T cab. No lack of low end, air movement, punch, clarity, anything.

17. :cool: I've been using a GB NEOX 212T for almost 3 years now and it's my main cabinet. I supplement it with a NEOX 2x10T ocassionally. The sound is clear, deep, and the cabinet is quite light for a 2x10, only 65#s.

I can't recommend this cabinet enough. If you haven't tried one, you really need to before you buy.

Good Luck.:bassist:

18. rugrat

rugrat Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I agree! As you can see in the picture, I only used one of these cabs at an outdoor gig last weekend and it worked fine. It wasn't crazy loud but loud enough to hear myself. We did have P.A. support obviously. Thanks again Eublet for helping me decide to pick one of these up.

Attached Files:

19. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Just turn up the gain until the red light starts flashing (not sure what that is on the 600), then adjust volume to taste. The bonus of using the EBS in my situation is that I can set the gain knob and send a more even signal into the preamp, so I get an more even overdrive on all notes instead of just the lower notes. I don't overdrive it so that it's fuzzy, although that is definitely possible.

Check out this video of Ed Friedland get some overdrive with his 1200.

20. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Glad to have helped!

Here's another little tip for you. I've found that simply putting a NeoX-112T on top of my 212 really adds a LOT more volume, and it gets a driver up near ear level which really makes a big difference. It's a cool looking stack, as tall as many 810's, but much lighter. It's also versatile since you have a 112 for smaller gigs, a 212 for medium gigs, and both for the bigger stuff. The nicest thing about it is that the tone is practically the same with each package, so you don't have suffer with having an inferior tone regardless of the cab you bring.

I highly recommend this setup for those who like the Neox twelves, even over having two 212's for people needing more volume.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021