1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GenzBenz Shuttle 6.0 Help !!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frankegcbass, Jul 30, 2012.

1. So I just got a Genz Benz 6.0 from another Tb'er last week. Tonight was the first time I got to get loud with it and I have a problem. I had the master and pre- volume around unity and the gain a little under that and every note I hit the clp/lim light would go on as well as the input o/l.
    I'm playing through a ampeg classic 4x10 500w/1000 max and I'm using a VT bass pre and a Rattail distortion pedal. Worse, when I turned on the distortion the amp started kinda glowing on top. I assume that is a fuse.
    So is the head not a good match with this cab? Is there anything I could do to make this work.

We have a show tomorrow night, not sure what i'm gonna do. I guess i'll have to not use the rattail. But that sucks cause its a big part of the bands sound.
    I really love this head and don't have much money to buy new stuff so I'm hoping there is something I could do to make this work.
    I have a verellen pre amp coming in sept. I'm worried of this thing can't handle a RatTail how its gonna handle the meatsmoke.
    Sorry to sound so lost, I'm not to good with this stuff.Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. Your amp should be fine with your cab and pedals. You aren't doing anything it can't handle unless you are going with obscene volumes.

Try backing down the channel volume, and set the gain to where you get the amount of clean/grit you want. If you are running too hot a signal from the VT (or any pedal for that matter) you could be fully overdriving the preamp. Just back off the output from the pedals before going into the front end of the amp. Master volume to taste. (p.s. I generally ignore the yellow output clip light unless it's on all the time, because with the 6.0 the light comes on as a heads up waaay before you actually start clipping the poweramp.)

The preamp has a 12ax7 tube (backlit by a blue led). That is what you saw on the top of the amp by the vents. Totally normal for it to be lit up when the amp is on.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    First of all, there is no such thing as "unity" on your amp. This means nothing, and I presume you mean some arbitrary knob position that you are calling "unity".

You first need to set your input gain knob to where the input O/L LED is not flashing. If you find it set way low on the scale, you might try turning down the output level on your distortion pedal which may scale things better for your needs.

Then, starting with your master at the 12:00 position, increase the channel volume to where you have adequate volume. It's ok for the output limit LED to flash on the peaks but it's not a great idea for it to be on more than it's off.

You might find that you have more useable headroom if you don't use the LF boost switch and go easy on any LF equalization.

Here's a copy of the manual, I think you may benefit from looking it over.

http://www.genzbenz.com/img/manuals/gb/SHUTTLE6_manual.pdf

4. I read the manual. It says nothing about not using one of the features on the amp because it will cause way too much clipping.
    Thanks anyway.

5. eee

eee

Jan 17, 2009
    Hey franksgbass

agedhorse is the most helpful Genz Benz dude on this board. He's just helping you out.

6. I didn't see any ill intent from Aged's reply myself. Hmm?

I got a Shuttle 6.0 myself & regularly use a VT bass & distortion pedals, the amp handles em all fine.
    I can't imagine a fuse "glowing" but there's always stuff to learn. The tube & surround glows, that's normal, dunno about any fuses.
    I can only suggest experimenting with ur tube input, pre volume & master volume controls, & output on ur pedals, you should be able to get plenty of scope for un-clipped signal.

7. steelin4u

steelin4u Supporting Member

FWIW, when I use my 6.0 with a somewhat hot signal going in, my settings are:

12:30 on gain,
    12:00 volume,
    EQ within a few dB of 0,
    LF boost engaged,
    12:00 master...1:00 if you are lucky

Fixes from these settings: if you see the O/D light coming on a lot, back the gain knob down, and ease the volume knob up a little. If your clip is on more than it's off, back off your master volume. If it's not loud enough for you, run 4 ohms worth of cabs. Still not enough? Upgrade your head.

8. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    OP How did you come that conclusion of unity gain?
    Also describe your statement " the amp started kinda glowing on top. I assume that is a fuse. " ??
    The amp is glowing?
    Before we can help you , we need to hace a much clearer description of the perceived problem.

PS,,, no reason to name call in here,,, Agedhorse is not only knowledgeable and GENEROUS with his time here.. But he is an AMP GURU , and gave he gave you great info considering the poor description of your issue and the way that you described it.. just sayin

9. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    +1 .. to franksgbass .... I can dig you are kind of bent and concerned for your gear .. but when it comes to GB gear you will not find a more helpful person on this board than agedhorse.. so don't bite the hand.. You might have kind of over reacted there a tad.. Just some un asked for advice..

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I wasn't being a jerk, I was clarifying for both you AND others here who may also be reading this in the future that the whole concept of "unity" just doesn't exist. It's abuzz word that is thrown about and causes way more problems (just like what you experienced) than you might imagine. If you didn't focus on the abstract unity concept, and if you set the gain according to the description in the manual, you wouldn't have had the input O/L LED trouble that you were frustrated by.

For those of you who are trying to learn more about the REAL concept of unity gain, the definition is where the output level equals the input level and the gain factor is exactly 1. Now, with a device that has multiple controllable gain stages, without knowing the exact circuit architecture, there is no way to know what REAL unity gain may be. Unity gain is typically a voltage gain but could also be a power gain term as well.

The manual describes the way the gain structure of your amp works.

Using the features does not cause clipping unless you do not have enough rig for the gig, and if you don't you might find that not using that particular feature might be helpful in getting some additional and more useable output from your amp. Frankly, I don't understand how you do not find my comments and suggestions helpful in the context that they were presented.

11. My apologies for giving a poor description of the issue with my amp. I was a bit upset, I just started using this head and did not have this problem before with my Orange terror 500. The cab is a 4x10 ampeg HLF,@ 4ohms, so from what I read it should be enough "rig for the gig".
    I would also like to take a moment to apologize to your amp guru. When I read your post I got the impression that you were a bit of a cranky amp curmudgeon . I did not know of your guru status, I hope you could understand that.
    Even though I'm positive that I apologized in advance for my lack of amp knowledge ,where I also went wrong was posting this in the first place. There are other posts of people having this exact problem with their 6.0. I should have done more research.
    I know not to post in amps anymore. Thanks for those who were helpful.
    Edit: I apologized and will not be checking back on this post at all. For those that plan on making this a four page posting on how great agedhorse is,and how wrong I was for misunderstanding, go right ahead. Again, Thank You for your help.

12. I feel we were all simply trying to help. This is the right forum

13. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Wow. I don't feel that anyone here was trying to be unhelpful. And for anything here Genz Benz there is no better authority or more helpful person than agedhorse.

14. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    Frankgbass, I would suggest you to practice more Buddhism and meditation since you are into that. You might realize that you and your amp are one and that clipping LED is a result of desire.

15. wow..it's an amazing world.

16. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Is it just me, or did agedhorse read the description of the problem and know the OP had the LF boost engaged without being told?

Edit: I think this guy started a thread a few days ago and agedhorse was already trying to help him. This new thread probably came as a surprise.

17. Even more of a surprise is the three PM's I got after this post explaining that the people who post in amps are kinda snobby and if you ask a question expect to be belittled. Three different Pm's.
    Agedhorse is no doubt a great dude, and very helpful. But the way you guys ride his lap in this area is a bit disturbing.
    This post was done,and your comments added nothing remotely intelligent to this. So why bother fellas?

18. I didn't find his reply snobby in the least..
    Experience is a valuable thing, and anyone of age and experience can see the 'snob' dudes answer and discount it after gleaning valuable information if any

19. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Right back at ya. Why did you post this?

20. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Ride in his lap? :)

He's a helpful, knowledgeable guy who happens to design amps at Genz Benz. He's not being snobby, just factual. I've actually found him to be very level-headed. I'm sorry if you felt you were being condescended to, but I'm pretty sure that was not what was intended.

Try his suggestion for setting the gains on your amp and you should be able to get better performance without the o/l led lighting so much. Definitely turn the gain knob down. If there's something wrong with the amp, I'm sure GB will help you out. I've always found their CS to be excellent.

Possibly you just don't have enough rig for the gig. In that case, I would try adding another speaker cabinet. I'm not familiar with your cabinet, but I'm assuming it's 8 ohms.

Maybe you need more power, but I'm guessing that another 410 would make more of a difference. Either way, get your gain stAging out of the way first.