1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GenzBenz Shuttle combo or seperate head and cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by edgewise, Jul 22, 2008.

1. edgewise

edgewise

Feb 23, 2007
    I'm pretty much sold on the GenzBenz shuttle 6.

I want to buy it and 1x12.

I also want the flexibility of adding another 1x12 later.

I see that you can buy the shuttle combo, which has a detachable head.

Other than the mounting thing on the top of the combo, what is the difference between the GenzBenz Shuttle combo and just buying a Genz Benz amp and cab?

Is the head the same head as the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 600 Watt head?

What about the cab?

Is the combo cab a NEOX-112T 300W 1x12" cab?

Thanks for your help!

-EW

2. The amp and the cab are both the same as far as I am aware, just the cab has the bracket to hold the amplifier.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, I mean +1.

4. The amp is the same. That cool bracket thing on the Shuttle cabs allows the head to be used in 'combo' format, but it's the same full functioned head.

The Shuttle 112 is different from the Neo112.. much smaller, lighter (log onto Musician's Friend and take a look at the pictures of these two cabs). I have not had the pleasure of trying the Neo112x, but people who's ears I respect say it is KILLER... punchy and loud (it's a big 112 box). I have spent some time with the Shuttle 112 up at Low Down Sound. It's very small, very light, high quality with a nice spray on covering, and that bracket is very cool. However, it does not have a lot of oomph compared to other 112's I've played and owned (you have to give up something for the very small size).

If you are looking to do rehearsals and small gigs, the Shuttle 112 combo is cool... very articulate, bright, clean. However, if you are planning on this being a small and moderate gigging rig, I would go with the Neox112. Two of them with the Shuttle would be good enough for a big gig rig, from what I understand.

5. hgrind

hgrind

Dec 16, 2005
    Otta, Norway
    I bought the Shuttle 6.0 and the NEOX-112T. Genz Benz said that if size was very important, I should buy the Shuttle speaker, but if I could get away with something a little bigger, they recommended the NEOX, because it would give me a little more oomph. I couldn't be happier with my choice, and I plan to add another 112T. With that rig, I imagine I will have no problem with any gig.

6. G2K

G2K Guest

Jul 21, 2008
    Simcoe County, ON. CA.
    I opted for the 3.00-8T. It was a perfect fit for what I do, which is just messing around with a few mates. The micro unit is a 8" cab at 175 watts. I did run another 250 watt cab with the combo unit and it was superb. I know of a fellow who has the 6-12T cab who loves it; he told me that he would prefer the NEO 12" for the additional cab which he felt would give him a little more botton omph. Just passing one's opinion on.
    Good Luck

7. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    +1... the 112 neox has been described as "the best 115 I've ever played through." It has plenty to deliver whether it is from a 6.0 shuttle, or a GBE1200... you will NOT be sorry!!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Definitely a trade between a 12" mini-combo in as small a package as possible and a 12" in a larger cab. Me, I didn't care. The Markbass combo I have is plenty good enough and saves a good minute or two on setups and teardowns. Had I gone with the Shuttle, I think I could have done just fine with their 12" combo cab, too. Not as good as a Neox, but still very good.

9. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Absolutely! What's cool is that you have a 31 lb. combo that will do a LOT of gigs on its own. If you need whump, set it on the 8 ohm cab of your choice and you've got a killer rig. My cab of choice is an 8 ohm UL210 Epi....

10. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    BTW, GB is coming out with matching 12" extension cabs for these soon. This would make a nice little 600 watt 58 pound 212 stack.

11. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I would definately do the NEOx112... It is a big sounding cabinet for it's size and adding another will just make it deadly.

12. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    +1 to above. I bought the Shuttle 6 and a pair of NeoX112s. I slightly boosted lows, added lots of lower mids, and slightly cut treble. Tweeter is about one-fourth on. The punch and tone jumps right out. Just one cab sounds huge; both are a monster.

13. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    I have the 6.0-12T combo and it rocks. I like the all in one light unit. Once the 12 extension cab comes out I will probably get it just in case.

14. edgewise

edgewise

Feb 23, 2007
    Thanks everyone for all of the info!

I think I'm gonna go with the separate NEOx112 and head.

The weight difference is only 5 pounds, and I think I would prefer a beefier sound.

Now I just gotta fight the GAS until payday.

-EW

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I use a Shuttle 3.0-10T as my only amp. Inside, outside, Pa or not. I have never been let down. The DI sounds great. Plus, I'm in and out in one trip.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021