1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GenzBenz SL 900 underwhelming- Fender BM 100T Good

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by obimark, Aug 15, 2012.

1. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Just played 2 heads yesterday- Fender bassman 100T and the GB SL 900.

The fender bassman 100 had a FANTASTIC Clean tone on the vintage channel. The OD channel was so-so to my ears got a little too dirty too fast more fuzz than I'd like.

Then, I immediately went and tried the GB SL 900 after reading SO much about it. First response completely and utterly underwhelmed, this was thru a BAG End cabinet 15 inch.

Turned up the gain expecting it to sound like Ed Friedlands video, not even CLOSE. Really not much OD at all, for this thing to be compared to an SVT, I jsut don't see it.

Does it all depend on the cabinet?

Guess I will stick with my Aguilar TH 500 for gigs, and buy an ASHDOWN Little Bastard for tube sound for playing at home or save for the Bassman 100T.

2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I'm assuming you had the gain switch engaged? I have no problem getting that grit, and can adjust how much I want with the gain control knob. Maybe that cab was flat. Make sure if it has a horn/tweeter to have it completely off. That effects the tone as well when you try to add the dirt.

3. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Yeah had the gain switch on. Maybe this was jsut a bad head.. or my OD sound in my head is more pronounced.
    Either way I can assure you it did not even come close to the goodness of the Fender All tube head sound.

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Did you try turning up the gain a little more? I mean I run it with a single 15 all the time, and get nice and warm when I want, and crack the gain to add the grit.

5. You have to consider the fact that your cab is at least if not more than 50% of your sound. I tried a STM-600 through my 15/6 and it was pretty killer to my ears.

6. I find it VERY surprising that you couldn't get some serious overdriven tone on the Streamliner. On my 900, I can dial in lots of overdrive effortlessly.

Where did you have the volume knob set (the one beside the gain knob, not the master)? Your overdrive really depends on how that volume and gain are set in relation to each other.

7. I love my STL900. It's not everybody's cup of tea but you should try it with another cab before you give up on it. I play my pbass deluxe through it and can get anything from old school to modern sounding tones. Sounds great through the 15/6/1 or my Bergie 112. I've found that it's easier to get the grit going if I flip over to active on the pickups (though rarely). Maybe a hotter signal?
    The STL can get very gritty IMO if you want it to. I love it!

8. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Hmmmmm- I put the gain just about to the max- 5 o clock and was playing a roadworn P-Bass with a Pick... maybe it is the bag end cabinet jsut not being up to par... But man did that Fender Bassman 100T sound good, like a million bucks.

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I think there was something wrong with the amp.

I play an STL 900 with a P bass through a pair of Bag End cabs all the time. Getting it to overdrive is very simple. Having the gain button pushed in and cranking the gain knob should suit you with quite a bit of overdrive, getting into the realm of gritty distortion.

10. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I actually own both amps. Totally love the 100t. It gets first call now compared to the Streamliner. It's more versatile and the tone of the vintage channel is so sweet. The overdrive side gets plain nasty. That's 50 lbs I don't mind hauling.

11. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    That was the feeling I had as well- just an incredible sweet tone, msut be very close to what the legendary B15 amps of yesteryear sounded like.

Question- If I am just using it for home playing, would the Ashdown Little Bastard be a similar great tube sounding head? (But damn would I buy that Fender if I had $1400 to spare )

12. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Can't blame it on the cab, unless you switched out the driver. That S15 is the Camry of bass cabs.:D