1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genzler 410 Array versus my Bergantino 112s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tb-player, Jul 31, 2019.

1. tb-player

tb-player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Maryland, USA
    This past Friday night, I played out with my Genzler Magellan 800 and two Bergantino Ref 112s. It was the first time I’ve had those cabs out and I was surprised at the result.

I’ve always been a 410 guy... SWR, Hartke... etc. But I recently sold it all and got the Bergantinos. At home (at low volumes) they were spectacular. I sometimes missed that 410 punch but I really enjoyed the smoothness of well made 12s.

Friday night, the 112s were warm and really projected well. The bass was there, and everyone knew it. But when I went for a slap tune, I felt like the bass disappeared. I pulled the bright switch on my onboard preamp and it helped, but it just wasn’t cutting through like I was hoping. I got compliments on my sound, but I was a little frustrated.

The next day I put the cabs on the TB classifieds and they were both sold within hours. They’re fine cabs and I’m sure their new owners will be pleased. But for me, while I want that warmth, I also need that punch. So tomorrow, I will be enjoying a road-trip to Chuck Levins in DC to pickup my new Genzler 410 Array cab. I love that cab bc it’s not harsh like my old Hartke was, but certainly represents my bass well.

I know there are some Genzler fans here. Maybe I should get in that club... lol.

No point to this story. Just wanted to share.

lomo, agedhorse and Mark 63 like this.
  2. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    Thanks for going GENZLER. Let us know how it all works out in live action. I think you'll be impressed with the projection.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Is kinder AND "Gentler"?

:D

(Check your title.)

Am I the only one who still geeks out when @Jeff Genzler and @agedhorse and other industry heavy hitters just pop in here and get involved with us?

lomo, JLY, Slaymus and 2 others like this.
  4. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    You're going to love it!!

revroy and Jeff Marshall like this.
  5. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Maryland, USA
    Haha. That would be my auto-correct in action. Dang iPhone.

two fingers likes this.
  6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Happens to me all the time.

Jeff Marshall likes this.
  7. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Maryland, USA
    My pleasure Jeff. I'll be sure to post an update.
    (btw- I should tell you that Phil Mann is the main reason I bought the Magellan 800. Every time we speak he cannot say enough about how much he loves that amp. He practically forced me to get it. And I'm glad he did.)

Question to the group:
    If all goes well, I'm anticipating getting a slanted 210 Array to go with the 410. If I were to add the 210, is it better to run the speakers in series or in parallel?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Parallel is your only choice really. You COULD do series, but you'd lose half your volume and it would take a custom made cable.

Jeff Marshall and Jeff Genzler like this.
  9. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks! That was way easier than reading the owners manual.

mmbongo likes this.
  10. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Maryland, USA
    Yeah, this is what's up! Very pleased with the result. Well balanced across the whole spectrum with the ability to dial in that punch. So pleased!!
    IMG_3115edit.jpg

revroy, spufman and 3rdcurve like this.
  11. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Banned

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    You are not sir! I recently had 2 posts liked by

BRIAN.
    ****ING.
    BROMBERG.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Jeff Marshall and two fingers like this.
  12. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    Why is Genzler so hard to obtain in Europe? I have a feeling I might get along with Genzler quite well, owned Genz Benz STR900 before and it was a great product, warm, punchy, even across the upper tonal range of a bass guitar which is something I have only come up across at Ampegs which is my go-to brand for sure.

But as far as small and ClassD goes - I felt the happiest with Genz Benz stuff. I assume the Magellan comes close to that vision.

Edit: Well nevermind. Thomann has it now. Would you look at that. !!

two fingers likes this.
  13. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Das jus kewl!

14. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Nice rig, dude!

Jeff Marshall likes this.
  15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    parallel is the only choice (as mentioned) but i can attest that we have that very setup on our sales floor and the resulting equally balanced 6x10 cab (4Ω 4x10 with a matched 8Ω 2x10 on top, all with a full-length tweeter array down the center) is just ridiculously powerful and balanced.

the fact that all these cabs were kinda low to the ground and couldn't be stacked "tallways" TB-style to get 'em up by your ears was my only knock on them, but the various angled versions of the boxes have solved that issue.

revroy likes this.
  16. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    @Sparkl, yes Thomann does carry pretty much the entire line of GENZLER AMPLIFCATION. Hope you get a chance to check it out. I'm sure you'd find our Magellan 800 very familiar to your experience to our previous products ---- but it really is the next generation, beyond that.
    Thanks for your comments.

Jeff Marshall and Sparkl like this.
  17. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I went from the Streamliner 900 to the Magellan MG800, and am so glad that I did. The STM900 had the woolines, but the MG has that and so much more. Plus 2 channels. Comes in handy on live gigs.