1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genzler/Gollihur Acoustic Array Bass Amp Review ** New Video Post # 89

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, Oct 12, 2017.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie) Supporting Member

Jeff Genzler and Mark Gollihur came up with something I think is brilliant: The
    Genzler Gollihur Series Bass Acoustic Array Pro Combo Amp.

This was originally designed (I assume) as an acoustic 2 channel amp that would appeal to guitarists and perhaps especially the singer-songwriter type. Jeff demoed this for Mark who thought it also sounded great for bass, but perhaps a little 'light' on the low end. So he had the brilliant idea of hooking up the new 'acoustic head' to the Genzler Magellan 350 Bass array he had there in the shop, and VOILA, a star was born (or so I'm told - for more details you can visit Marks website.) RESULT: Jeff is producing a model of this amp with the BASS WOOFER that is found in his Bass Array Combo and Extension Cab. (The 'basic' model has a driver that is more suited to the guitar).

And, full disclosure, I have no affiliation with either Gollihur Music or Genzler Amplification.

That said, I couldn't wait to get my hands on one of these units to try out on a few gigs and do a review - complete with videos. So, I contacted Jeff and he liked the idea. As soon as he can get a unit made available to me he's going to ship it out and the review will begin.

Here's a couple things I'm excited about checking out:

1. This is a 2 Channel amp with a complete Pre-amp section on each channel. Obviously this could be attractive for those who 'double', but to be perfectly honest my bass guitar works primarily as a dust collector. My first love (almost to the point of being monogomous) is definately the Double Bass.

2. For me, there are two ways in which I will take advantage of the 2 channel feature:
    a. Running a pickup into one channel, and
    b. Running a mic into the other channel (yes, the amp does provide Phantom Power).

or c. Setting channel one with optimum settings for Pizz, and
    d. Setting channel two with optimum settings for Arco.

A simple A/B/Y switch will switch between the channels. OR, by using my Morley Quad Box (https://www.amazon.com/MORLEY-QUAD-Morley-Quad-Box/dp/B000KPU48I ) I can switch between channels AND switch between input devices ie a mic and a pickup.

The goal for my demo/trial of this amp is to test it in a number of 'Real World' situations (GIGS) and really put it through its paces. I can't wait.

aapro_gollihur.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. cultrvultr

cultrvultr Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Oakland, California
    oh Geez, I want to try this amp out! I just bought the Genzler 350/10" combo. Sounds great with upright and electric, but I bet this would sound amazing too.

I will say its really nice being able to take the Genzler head out separate from the speaker cab. the 10" cab is actually pretty big and beefy. Hangs great with a jazz drummer and full band. For little cafe gigs and even some bigger drummer-less gigs its kinda overkill. The older genz-benz 8" and now the AI Upshot pair work well to amplify the Genzler head for the smaller stuff or when I have to park far away!

3. I thought the regular (new) Genzler amp/cab was already suitable for double bass? With the slight wedge and all? And a high portability factor?
    Not a double channel, but that can be fixed with a preamp.

4. rickwolff

You are correct. The 'Acoustic' model is originally more of a guitar amp that was adapted for bass by using the woofer designed for bass.

The primary difference is 2 channels and phantom power. That AND the removable head on the original 'bass model'.

Just two different flavors of a great design. I'm really looking forward to reviewing it.

GoofusInsanius likes this.
  5. Cool, looking forward to the review.

Seperate head (amp) and two channels, phantom power are definitely a big plus.
    Does it have a HPF and notch as well (on both channels)?

6. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    There is a fixed Low Cut built into the amp, but nothing variable. It is a bit higher frequency than the ones built into the Magellan heads, and works out to be pretty ideal for uprights. Additionally, the bass knob (75hz) is shelving, so you can limit the low end pretty effectively if it's getting away from you. It does not have a notch built in, but there is a phase reverse to help with feedback if needed. We didn't have issues with feedback, and we had it cranked (using a Kay with a Bass Max, as well as a carved bass with a Kremona pickup).

7. cultrvultr

cultrvultr Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Oakland, California
    Is phantom 48V?

8. rickwolff

I believe so. Maybe Mark will weigh in.

9. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Yes. Full 48v Phantom on each channel's XLR input.

10. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    Ouch. EA bankrupted me already. Maybe next year...

11. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    For gawd's sake, finally another two channel bass amp on the market. Precious few out there by comparison. That feature alone has me very interested.

rickwolff and Mark Gollihur like this.
  12. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The Acoustic Image Clarus S4+ is a two channel head as well. But you're right. There aren't many two channel heads that work for both upright and electric bass.

Groove Doctor and MR PC like this.
  13. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    I purchased the Acoustic Image Clarus S4+. It failed within hours of using it..I think it must of been a factory lemon. That head has everything on board I could ever need. 2 channels, lots of power and headroom, great eq, effects; all the useful bells and whistles. Loved the sound for the few hours it operated. Returned. Didn't buy another for fear of getting another refurbed/redesigned unit. That's the danger of ordering gear before it's been road tested and reviewed by Joe Blow players.

14. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    :-(

This is exceedingly rare - AI gear has a stellar reputation for quality and reliability, and when they do fail (even by the fault of the user) their customer service is legendary. I'm sorry to hear that you had this experience, but having dealt with Acoustic Image for over a decade and a half, I can confidently say that it is far outside the norm.

15. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    [note: the post I was "agreeing with" was apparently deleted.] -- Mark

Agreed. Not saying that you're wrong; and your legit experiences are helpful to those making a decision. I just hope that anyone who searches TB looking for opinions doesn't base their decision on this one alone.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Povl Carstensen likes this.
  16. Sorry, but did you just agree with yourself Mark? Couldn't help asking.

17. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Nope. A post was deleted.

18. Ok too bad. I was just getting inspired to do the same with myself.

Mark Gollihur likes this.
  19. Inara

Inara Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I know this is the DB Amps forum, and I don't currently play DB (did for years, and want to again ... soon ...), but I'm also very excited for this amp. I have a solo act, doing instrumental solo electric bass (fretted and fretless), and some vocal-plus-bass-accompaniment pieces as well. I have a little stomp kick drum simulator that I plug into an amp to add a bit extra on some pieces. Right now the amp I use for this act is an old Carvin AG100D 3-channel amp ... designed for acoustic guitar, but with more bass extension than normal and a 12" driver that can handle a four-string bass nicely. Cool thing with this is that, if I absolutely have to, I can plug bass into one channel, kick pedal into another, and vocal mic into the third.

But having something smaller and also frankly higher quality / better sounding is very, very tantalizing ... and then I would have it sitting there ready for the inevitable restart of my DB infatuation. ;)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  20. rickwolff