Genzler Magellan 350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveBassJr, May 25, 2018.

1. SteveBassJr

SteveBassJr It all sounds the same, It's all one song!

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I bought a new amp again. I have been looking for a small class d for a backup. My main amp for the last year has been an Aguilar Ag 700. My favorite so far. Plenty of head room and great tone... no complaints at all.
    For some gigs i dont need all that headroom. Their is just somthing about playing a coffee shop with a 700 watt amp with a 110 cab, that doesn't feel right to me. That said i searched for a smaller amp. I tried out the TE Elf. It was so small and build like a tank, i was in love for like two months. But, I didnt bond with the Eq. I tried. The compression didnt do it for me either. It wasnt loud enough for me when things got loud. Time to move on.
    I went to an Eden wtx 260. Loved it for another 2 months. But 260 watts at 4 ohms wasnt enough for me either.
    I picked up the Genzler Magellan 350. Wow! The amp not only gave me what I wanted, it gave me more than expected!
    The two channel contour thing is blowing me away. Channel A is perfect for nice roomy clean, clear low end and crisp highs Perfect for any type of situation to fill the bottom. Channel B cuts through a two heavy guitar mix with kicking drums. Very blown away. I played my Passive Jazz bass through an Eden 210xst at 4 ohms. I had to back the bass level down on the Magellan it was pushing the cab beyond its ability. Just wow. My ears could hear the difference between the two channel and my body could feel it.
    When i hooked up my outboard Sadowsky pre amp it really brought the beef! I couldn't believe that 350 watts could pack such a punch! Seriously!
    The build quality is top notch. Way better than anything else I have messed with in the last few years.
    All and all i must say the Genzler Magellan 350 is definitely staying and is a perfect match to use in any situation. A jazz gig , rock or funk setting. I think my aggie will take a break and Genzler will ride with me a lot more than any other amp that I have played. I cant imagine what its bigger brother will do. But for now im happy woth what i am blessed to have.
    Thanks Mr. Genzler for such a great amp!

SJan3, PWV, fender6262 and 7 others like this.
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I tried out the MG350/BA10-2 setup at my local dealer last week, and was blown away by how much sound came out of such a little box.

I’m seriously considering going back and picking it up for a practice/small stage rig.

SJan3, imabuddha, revroy and 2 others like this.
  3. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

I have both Genzler heads and one each of the 12-3 and the 10-2 cabs. Seriously wonderful gear.

@Ryan L. I bought the 350 combo for exactly the use you mentioned and have found it meets my gigging needs much more often than I expected.

4. SteveBassJr

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I am definitely gassing for the 12-3 but, I cant justify it atm. I have 4 12" speakers at home lol but I just might have to sell a few.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I’m guessing it’d be more than enough, especially if I ran two of the 10-2 cabs with it, for everything but our big outdoor stages in the summertime. But I have IEM’s to make up for that...

revroy likes this.
  6. jibass

jibass Guest

Aug 7, 2015
    Anyone using two BA10-2 cabs which have replaced a single [non-Genzler] 210? How has that worked out?

7. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

Vs. the 10-2, the 12-3 is a bigger cab in every way. It is louder, has more bottom end, and is physically bigger. I replaced an Acme B2 with the BA12-3 and I have been thrilled with it.

imabuddha and SteveBass5 like this.
  8. SteveBassJr

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Besides more head room and a drive channel effects loop, I assume they are identical in everything else?

9. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

The 350 is missing the effects loop, tuner out, and foot switch jack (obviously) on the back panel. It is my understanding that the circuitry of the pre-amp is identical minus the dirty channel. The two contours are both there and are the same. The EQ section is the same. It certainly sounds the same to me and at more or less the same volume (I don’t use the dirty channel) I can’t tell them apart.

SJan3, imabuddha, osv and 1 other person like this.
  10. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    IMG_0751.JPG got my Genzler Magellan 350 on Friday......this is what I used with it on Saturday......wow.....very nice.....hefty tone, had to turn down the bass too as per previous TBer mentioned.....contour A & B make it a very versatile amp.....I still really like my GK MBFusion500 but the 350 has fewer knobs and is easier for the other bass players using my rig to get a good tone right away....though I would have preferred a Lo Mid and Hi Mid like my GK....but that's me...lol...the knobs position are not what I ended up with

tindrum, SirMjac28, revroy and 2 others like this.
  11. IvanDrummer

IvanDrummer

Apr 25, 2020
    Dorset, UK
    My first big boy amp.... very nice.... although wouldn't mind trying a 410 cabinet....

Attached Files:

tindrum and Jeff Genzler like this.
  12. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    +1 on the Magellan 350. A serious amp in a pint sized pkge! I couldn't have described it's qualities better than you did. I bought mine as a backup to my Littlemark3 (500 watts) and lo and behold the LM3 gave up the ghost shortly after. So, the little Magellan had some big shoes to fill and fill them it did! It has been more than sufficient for everything I do. My initial plan was to buy another "high powered" amp" but the Genzler has been so good I bought a MB NANO 300 to back it up.
    Pics for physical perspective: IMG_20200807_131550873.jpg IMG_20210611_173921320.jpg

aus_bass, IvanDrummer and SteveBassJr like this.
  13. sideFX

sideFX

Feb 14, 2013
    38.08 N , 22.62 E
    @SJan3 How does the Genzler 350 compare volume wise with the LM3?

14. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    At 8ohms, the Genzler competes with the LM3 until you start getting loud. Then the Genzler starts to soft clip, not an ugly clip but compressed. The LM3 has a bit more headroom at this point. The LM3 is airier sounding, the Genzler darker. At 4ohms the battle is a bit closer but again the LM3 has a bit more headroom. It all depends on how loud you need to be. With a 4 ohm load either amp will be loud assuming you have enough speaker. Both really nice amps and no wrong choice here. If you prefer your tone a bit darker the Genzler is the one. If you prefer some airy edge the MarkBass.
    I will say that either amp is flexible enough to cover most styles nicely. You will get a bit more volume from the LM3 but it's closer than you might think, again if you have enough cabinet.
    I hope that helps.

sideFX likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022