1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genzler Magellan Cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mattscud55, Nov 23, 2018.

Which should I get?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2018.
  1. Genzler Magellan 212T

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Genzler Magellan 112T

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. 2 Genzler Magellan 112T

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. mattscud55

mattscud55

Nov 21, 2010
    Albany, NY
    I’m picking up a Magellan 800 head and am deciding between a 112t cab or. 212t. Is a 112t enough for medium volume band practice? I play in an alt rock band. I love the idea of a 112t for portability and home use with the Magellan 800, but buying two would be costly vs picking up a 212t. But a 212t seems like overkill for home use. Thoughts or experience to compare the differences?

2. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I have both. The 1x12 did a fine job with my Magellan 800 keeping up with a rock band with anloud drummer no problem. I ran the amp around 50%. The 2x12 has a significant extra punch and low end .The 1x12 sounds incredible, and with a cab stand that raises it, you'll hear yourself no problem. But if you want to FEEL the bass, I'd go with the 2x12. One of each will allow you the most portability though .1x12 for hole practice, and 2x12 for gigs .

I think the 2x12 can be quiet enough, and isn't a pain to haul to practice, so I'm selling my 1x12.

3. mattscud55

mattscud55

Nov 21, 2010
    Albany, NY
    Thanks for the feedback. Is the 112t loud enough for band practice? Or should I just check all the boxes with the 212T?

4. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY

The 112 kept up in my classic rock band without an issue, sound wise. The 212 just provides the gut rattling feeling that a 1x12 can't .I do recommend getting a cab stand if you do the 1x12 for practice, to put it closer to ear level.

5. mattscud55

mattscud55

Nov 21, 2010
    Albany, NY
    Awesome. Do you know if there’s a tonal difference between 2 112t and the 212t? Is the sound different just because it’s one speaker at 8 ohms vs 2 at 4 ohms?

6. mattscud55

mattscud55

Nov 21, 2010
    Albany, NY
    Have you mic’d either for recording? I like to run a DI and a mic line and blend, so it doesn’t matter as much, but which cabinet is better for recording purposes?

7. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I've never mic'd, only DI .

Typically 2 speakers in 1 cab will have more low end than 2 single speaker enclosures. So I would think the 212 would have a little more bass than 2 1x12's .

mattscud55 likes this.
  8. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I've not used these particular cab but I have used several other 112s with a Magellan. 112 should be more than enough for practice and probably most gigs as long as you are not stupid loud. 2 cabs (2x112) or a 212 will give you more heft as well as more volume. I liked the versatility of 2-112 cabs as you can choose to bring one or both, as needed. With a 212 cab you are always bringing the whole thing along. Maybe get a 112 now and a second later?? (that's what saving gig money is for!)

9. Have you considered the bass array? It is a different cab... and I expect gives you a slightly different flavor in the mids and highs but it also gives you better dispersion which would make a single cab even more capable.

FWIW, I have used a single BA12-3 with my Magellan 800 and it has always been enough for me, gigging or rehearsal.

Whatever cab you get, a stand is a good idea with a single 112. Getting it closer to your ears allows you to hear it so much better.

10. mattscud55

mattscud55

Nov 21, 2010
    Albany, NY
    Thanks Revroy. I tried the Arrays out, but found the sound a little too bright and top heavy for me. They had great clarity and articulation, though. I love the sound of both the 212T and the 112T, but have only played them in very small rooms, so a full setting comparison was my issue. And there isn’t much info comparing these two online. Thanks for all the feedback!

11. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    If you're going to want two 12's for most of your applications, I'd go with the 2x12 by a significant margin. I think you'll like the low-end response more.

Disclosure: you didn't say what type of music you play or how loud your band practices are. Asking if a certain cabinet will be loud enough for your band practice is like asking how long is a piece of string.

12. I don't have the Genzler, but I have the Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.2, with two single 12's. 19 out of 20 times, I just bring one 12. If I had a 212, I would have to get something smaller too. Go for two single 12's.

13. mattscud55

mattscud55

Nov 21, 2010
    Albany, NY
    The OP stated medium volume band practice in an alt-rock band.

I have a stand for home use, so the sound height wouldn’t be the concern. Just total volume without losing time quality.

14. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The Magellan will drive down to 2.6 ohms, so you could get the 212 AND the 112.

Leave the 212 at your rehearsal space and the 112 for at home.

Then you can bring one, two, or three 12’s for gigs, depending on the size of the room and amount of PA support.

McFarlin, TrentB and Lammchop93 like this.
  15. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    The BA210-3 looks interesting to me, but a thousand bucks for a 2x10, no matter how amazing, is, so to speak, beyond my pay grade.

mattscud55 likes this.
  16. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    FWIW, there'a a pair of Genz Benz 112 neos for sale in the classifieds for less than the price of one new Magellan cabs. Production stopped on these a few years back when GB was absorbed was they were/are outstanding cabinets. I have no affiliation with the seller, just passing along what looks like a great deal.

mattscud55 likes this.
  17. mattscud55

mattscud55

Nov 21, 2010
    Albany, NY
    Haha that would be ideal, for sure. But I can’t leave my 212 at the rehearsal space full time. I have no problem transporting any cab - working with 4x10, 2x12 and even 8x8 for several years.

I just need to weigh pros and cons with a 112, 212 or 2 112 set ups. I’m amazed by all the knowledge and input from everyone, and I’ll have to test them all out again for comparison. I like the idea and plausibility of the 212 for gigs and rehearsing, but it’s lose some points for space taken up in my home office for home use.

18. One is good and can cover a lot but two brings MORE of everything tone and feel wise, not just volume. So...

I think you answered your question.
    Though two 1x12's is slightly taller you have the advantages already discussed.

I have a Genz 2X12 in one box and it works for everything, love the one box move. There are times that a single 12 would be best to not scare people with its size, so I will be getting one Genzler BassArray for times when one is perfect.
    But then I will have three 12inch speakers in my collection.

The great thing is Genzler amps can do 2.67 ohms (three 8 ohm cabs OR one 4 ohm + one 8 ohm cab) so the two cabs can be combined to have three 12's when wanting to go into destruction mode.

Helpful? :smug:

mattscud55 likes this.
  19. mattscud55

mattscud55

Nov 21, 2010
    Albany, NY
    I think all amps should have a “Destruction Mode” switch!

Maybe I’m looking for a reason to have the best home-use setup without compromising the rehearsal opportunities. I’ll be using it more at home than at rehearsal or gigs, but I don’t want to sacrifice anything. Maybe I’ll ultimately get both!

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  20. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    This...

112 is likely enough for lots of things, but a second cab gives you options.