1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genzler VS Schroeder??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattBassMan, Jan 30, 2019.

1. MattBassMan

MattBassMan

Jun 18, 2018
    Hey guys! New poster, frequent lurker here.
    (TL;DR- Bass array 410 vs Schroeder with different sized speakers- 15/12/10?)

I’ve been trying to upgrade my rig (currently, its a used Epifani PS410- 8 - 800 w 8 ohms into an Ampeg SVT 7 PRO)... It’s great but I think the speakers are shot and I want a fresh start.

I’ve been really interested in the speaker cabs with more than one size of speaker built in, and have been trying to decide if I should get the Genzler bass Array 410-3 (4 10in speakers and 6 3in speakers.)- Likely paired with the matching Magellan 800 Head. OR go with a Schroeder, where I can even make whatever combo of speakers, I’d likely use a 15” paired with a 10” or two. He’s even got 15, 12 and 10 in over cabinet. I’d likely match with the EICH head to match (but maybe genzler has a better crossover system?)

With this big rig, I’d be playing and traveling a lot, so I want something easy to transport (preferably not more than one cab) and Something with a lot of headroom and clarity, while also dividing frequencies effienciently. I play in a pretty loud psychedelic funk band, I use lots of sub, and upper octaves combined with envelope filters, and I love to make lots of crazy noises with my pedals. So, I figure using a speaker system that has bigger speakers designated to pump low end and smaller speakers used for the high stuff means a cleaner sound, especeily when I pile on the effects.

Any experience with either of these speakers or cabs with them?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You're pretty much dead on describing the Audiokinesis Hathor 212.

Hathor 212

ee41c50027aedb5f06c1a3049200d4b1?AccessKeyId=93F08412D9757094B88A&disposition=0&alloworigin=1.jpg

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    With all your effects you'll probably get wider dispersion with the Genzler. People standing off to the side will likely hear more of what you hear standing in front of the cabinet.

4. MattBassMan

MattBassMan

Jun 18, 2018
    Ooo i've actually never even heard of that AudioKinesis Hathor 212 before, looks gorgeous. thanks, @mmbongo...
    and that's a good point, @seamonkey. So far, the Bass array is in the lead, since i can try one out in Chicago...

ALTHOUGH, i'm kind of interested in trying out a cab that has a 15" in it, since i've almost only used 10"s in the past... Schroeder intrigues me because i can practically have him make me a cab with whatever combo of sizes i want, and having that 15" would probably make the low-dubby sounds i get sound awesome- especially the OC-2 i just got...

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The Audiokinesis cabs are a thing of beauty! The mids are in an open back chamber, so the sound comes from all around the cabient and not just out the front. So you'll get wider dispersion than forward only facing mids :)

Although it's not officially listed as an option, I'll bet Duke could do a 212 with the rear firing mids as well....so it would be a Changeling 212!

If you want a 15" he does similar builds with single 15's as well.

6. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    I would get the Genzler cab (I haven't heard the 4x10 but the 12s sound great), and stick with the SVT7 at least long enough to see how you like it with the new cab. The schroeder stuff never really called to me and seems kind of gimmicky. "Hey, I crammed every size speaker into a tiny box." I've had a bunch of Genz Benz stuff and it's all great, and what I've seen of the Genzler stuff so far is great too, so it would be hard to go wrong there. You might find the occasional person talking up their schroeder cab here now and then, but there's a huge complement of people here that speak very highly about the GB/Genzler stuff. It's rare you find anyone with anything bad to say about it.

The SVT 7 is a great head, no reason to get rid of that unless you've had some of the reliability issues that seemed to happen earlier on. I haven't owned one but have tried it out pretty extensively and was very close to buying one before I ended up with my ShuttleMax 9.2. Honestly that was more or less a coin toss, and because of the variety of music I play, I decided to go with the 2 channels and foot switchable options. I'm sure the genzler head is great though, but no real reason I can see to rush into it unless you have a specific objection to the ampeg that you're sure has nothing to do with the current cab. At any rate, often trying to change too many things at once can leave you more lost than when you started.

7. MattBassMan

MattBassMan

Jun 18, 2018
    This is great advice, thanks @Omega Monkey! I think I’ll check out the genzler stuff with my Ampeg head and see what that sounds like.

I originally thought using the genzler head with the speakers makes more sense because I figured it would distribute frequencies to its corresponding speakers better then the Ampeg, but I actually know nothing about how that works, and can’t find what I thought I read online. I’ve also been using Ampeg my whole career practically, and would like to try something new.

I’ll try it out and see, I’m still slightly unconvinced that the 4 10s would handle super lower frequencies as well as a 15 or even 12” speaker... I was getting some major flab last night from my OC 2, envelope filter combo haha.

8. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    An amp has a sound and an amount of power output, and a cab has a sound an amount of power handling. They don't "distribute frequencies" any particular way. it's really just about if you think the sound of the head and sound of the cab complement each other, and if they're well matched in terms of power. There's not really any special magic gained by using stuff from the same manufacturer. Of course they want you to think there is, because then if you decide to get one of their products, they've got you for another. My current main rig happens to be all Genz Benz, but that's just because I happened to like the cabs and the head. But when I had my GK 412, that also excellent with the ShuttleMax head, and maybe even better in some ways than the GB cabs (mainly with my 6 string). The particular character of the mids and highs of the GK just went really well with particular settings of the parametric EQ on the head with my 6 string which can be a little too clean sounding sometimes. The GB cabs have a whole other thing going on, so I end up using the amp EQ differently and don't necessarily get the mids and highs magic of the GK with the 6 string. On the other hand, my 5 string sounds killer through the GB cabs and my GBE 750 (or the shuttlemax). Certain combinations just seem to work better than others. But it has basically nothing to do with matching brands, it just works out that way sometimes. So if you get a great head and a great cab, 9 times out of 10 that should do the trick, depending on how particular you are.

MattBassMan likes this.
  9. blu-snafu

blu-snafu

Apr 4, 2013
    I just picked up a Genzler 410-3. I have to say that this is hands-down the best amp I've played through. The depth of low end paired with the clarity and well rounded mid to high is superb. I was a solid Eden player, but this put my Eden to bed... as well as my Bergantino. The array is far superior to tweeters in every way (IMHO). The 10's sound deeper and somehow seem to fill up my practice room... When I A-B it with the Berg or Eden, they sound thinner. Almost as if the Genzler sound is 3D and the others are 2D...

I know zero about the Schroeder, they may be awesome - But I am a Genzler Zealot now! You will not go wrong with 410-3. Good Luck to you!

MattBassMan likes this.
  10. MattBassMan

MattBassMan

Jun 18, 2018
    Thanks for the encouraging words, both of you! I’ll be checking out the 410-3 hopefully later this week, and I’ll update the thread with the results