Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geo Zmed. Touch Style Bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Geo_Zmed, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Hi everyone,
    Just stumbled upon this sight and had to register. I've been looking for bass players that write and play similiar to my style on a four string bass. Yet through the past five years of research I have still come up empty handed. I play touch style and Victor Wooten seems to be the only one that has come close to what I do. I would love to find others out there that are doing it with me. If you would please check out my simple website and listen to some of my songs maybe someone here can help point me towards other players.

Thank you
    Geo Zmed

http://www.honestlycincy.com

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Hey, I don't play like that, but I have your tape and it's cool dude!:)

3. Hi Geo, Welcome to talkbass...:)

Hey, how'bout Michael Manring?
    I think is thoughest than Victor Wooten for two hand tapping. I couldn't open your page, but I think I once found an album in a page, from a touchstyle bassist which I think could be you..

I hope I can check your page later.. peace!

4. Uberbass

Uberbass

Aug 23, 2002
    Geo - I do that thang, but not typically on a 4 string.

Come to think of it, I believe we've chatted before...it was a long time ago on another website. It's good to see that you're still around.

Take care.
    Brendan

http://www.brendanwires.com

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  6. Wow didn't realize people would remember me. Phreaky, you said you have my tape. Is it the tape or a cd? If it's that Eargasm tape just burn it and throw it away. I found a copy of that not too long ago. Thanks for the leads on other touch style players. Like I said I've been searching for others but it seems like something that just is not being ventured upon much.

Thanks
    Geo Zmed

p.s. phreaky, I just looked at where you are from, I remember you now. Still mention you in conversation with people today. There's also someone in Australia who has that same tape.

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I still remember when I got the tape:)

8. Darkslide

Darkslide

Sep 28, 2002
    Suprised no one has mentioned Stu Hamm here. He's the man when it comes to 2 handed tapping stuff.

I do a lot of tapping, if you click on my name, you can listen to Linus and Lucy (As done by Stu Hamm) that I threw down a while back. I am downloading your MP3's as I type this. Will post a response when I am done.

I guess I should add that there are more 2 handed tapping songs than that, just that is the only one with an obvious rhythm and lead bass in it. My favorites to play would be 'Linus and Lucy' and 'In Need'.

9. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Stanley Jordan!!!!

He is not a bass player, but you can hear lots of two handed tapping. :D

[​IMG]

10. I actually play my own version of Linus and Lucy. It was one of my first attempts at tapping and this was even before I knew of Stu Hamm. That was the only one I was aware of he did.

Stanley jordan is the main reason I began tapping on the bass. I was even fortunate enough to pick him up from the Dayton, Ohio airport and get him set up for a gig, then take him back to the hotel.

11. Darkslide

Darkslide

Sep 28, 2002
    Well, finally listened to it all.

Really nice playing. I am kind of strange in my musical tastes. My favorite kind of music is extreme Death Metal and whatnot... I'd not be caught dead listening to Clapton, however, playing my bass is another thing, and your cover was really well done. I love to play that kind of stuff. Did youfigure out how to play it by ear? Or did you look at the music for the song and work something out from there?

I'd like to learn that Clapton cover myself.

12. Regi Wooten (I've seen it only on guitar from him) is unbelievable at the tap style.

13. I actually sat down with the song and listened to it for about 3 days non stop until I finally heard it in my head. Then went to work on my own arrangement. If I remember right I think I even had to tune the bass up a whole step to get it at the right fret positions and then I tuned my bass back down. I do all of my music by ear. I can read music but I feel I can better represent what comes from inside of me if I just sit down and do it by ear.

My musical tastes are not of what I play either. I'm usually listening to Frank Zappa,Miles Davis, Kiss, Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, and a hand full of other main stream type of stuff. Ministry and Prodigy are two of my favorites. Rarely will you find me listening to any type of classical stuff or other bass players.

Thanks for listening.

Geo Zmed

14. Tom8O

Tom8O

Oct 9, 2002
    YO - uberbass / brendan

i checked out your site and listened to your sound files...plain awesome.

do you play stick too?

+om

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hi there...

when you say "sight" you mean "Site" (as in Website)...

you might want to correct that in you webpage too...

that's all, bye!

16. Geo:
    your playing is very accomplished.
    Your sound is similar in both style and tone to Adrian Davidson. He is/was a canadian 2 handed tap style bassist (most likely in a very similar vein to your style) and released a few CDs and an instructional video, he stopped playing back in the mid 90s from wrist problems.
    His use of effects and his seperation of chord tones sounds very similar to yours, and is also very beautiful to listen to. He released a interpertation of McCartneys "yesterday" on his first CD.
    If you can find his CDs it would be worth a listen, both of you play very differently than stu hamm, or even Mr wooten.
    I had a chance to see Adrian play (and he plays in his video as well), the facility required for both of you to accomplish these chord shapes and transitions is amazing.
    great stuff
    frank

17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Beaver Felton had a bass instruction series in the early nineties. I don't know if it is still available anywhere, but he had an entire section on tapping and played some amazing peices on the accompanying CD. He blew me away.

I don't know if he has recorded any full or partial CDs, though. It is a pity if he hasn't.

He used to be afilliated with Dave LaRue in a store near Orlando, FL that deals only with bass equipment. Our own Gard of TalkBass works there. Gard might know the latest on Felton's activities and whether he has any CDs or tapes available at this time.

18. Yea I play just conventional touch style with the bass strapped around my neck. I can play with it flat also. I'm in the process of working on playing both of my SR800's at the same time. Thank you all once again for showing others who are also playing this style.

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    used to be?

20. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I said "used to be" because I know he did, but don't know if he still is. Gard would certainly know for sure.

Hold the phone! Evidently Felton still is at Bass Central. I just searched for a web site and found this info, plus much more. Gard is pictured at the web site too!

Address:
    181 Oxford Road, Suite 107
    Fern Park, FL 32730

Phone: 1 800 545 8813

http://www.basscentral.com