Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Georg Anton Schufter

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by slenhert, Sep 15, 2004.

1. slenhert

slenhert

Sep 15, 2004
    I have a carved double bass -- the label inside says: Georg Anton Schufter
    Gelgen Macher
    Wien Anno 1778
    Made in Germany

Is anyone familiar with this name? Any info would be appreciated.

Steve

2. It wouldn't happen to be Anton Schuster would it? Some old printing uses a lower case "s" that looks more like "f". There are several threads mentioning Anton Schuster.

By the way, welcome to TalkBass Double Bass.

3. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I have a Schuster bass. It's label reads the same as yours
    Georg Anton Schuster
    Gelgenmacher
    Wein Anno 1778
    Made in Germany. My bass has a four digit serial number stamped on the label as well, it's faded but it looks like #1113. What's real strange is that this label is pasted over another smaller label that says, "Made in ......." the rest of this label is covered by the Schuster label so I can't read what the rest of it says!

What I know about mine is that it is in fact a 20th century factory bass. It was probably imported for sale here in the United States sometime in the 50's or 60's. It might even be a bit older, my bass teacher, who sold it to me thought that it was about sixty years old, that was in 1996. It's a hybrid bass, carved top with plywood sides and back. The neck is slim and thin, not a thin as a Kay neck, but thinner and slimmer that many other basses I've tried. The back of the neck has some nice "flame pattern" but it's has lots of some sort of shiny varnish on the back of the neck too! That's how it was when I got the bass, and it's never bothered me so I've left it alone. It's a pretty nice bass, it's not the loudest bass I've ever played, my Kay is a lot louder. But the Schuster records nicely and and amplifies well. I've had a bit of work put into it, Lisa Gass made a new bridge and soundpost and plained the fingerboard a few years ago, so it's plays quite nicely with low action. It's a real good jazz bass, IMHO. I don't have a digital camera and I havn't figured out how to attach scaned photos to a post like this, so I can't offer a picture. But there is a Schuster bass in the Talkbass.com "For Sale" section that member Raybman posted for sale in mid-July this year that looks very similar to mine if anyone wants to get an idea what these basses look like. If anyone has any additional info regarding Schuster basses I'd be thrilled to hear about it.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Wein is in Austria..... It must be a modern copy of an Austrian Bass or just using the Name, "Made In Germany". The English "made in'" thing always indicates a 'made for USA Export' or at least as far as we have seen to date.

5. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Mr Smith, you certainly get up early in the morning! I'm out here on the west coast, and should be trying to sleep!
    I see the fine electric bassist Ricky Minor around town from time to time, he plays one of your great 5 string electric basses, sure sounds good!
    Thanks for the info regarding Schuster basses, I don't see too many of this brand. Someone told me once that these had a connection the the Roth brand.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The German lower case "f looking thing" is actually a
    "double s." While I'm certainly no expert here, it sounds like a "workshop bass" patterned after a known bass; at least one that was known to the workshop boys as something worth patterning after.

Sidenote: Steve, it sounds like the kolstein case should reach KC via amtrak Saturday, so I hope Sunday is still ok?

7. Isn't "Wein" German for Vienna Ken?

8. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Not sure Paul but if you say it is, then it is.......

As far as Schuster and Roth Being similar I believe there were several shops and Parts makers doing instruments for many brand names. Remember now, the Violin was the main instrument for most of these makers but when they needed Basses, they also subbed out the jobs. Some Schuster Basses from Austria are reported to have been inported from Germany and then Labelled by Schuster. There are Schuster names in Germany, Austria and Czech as well.. An old family name of many cousins and stuff......

All kinds of "Bags of tricks" are over there. Who's to say EXACTLY who did what for whom.....

It's a Puzzel than does NOT need to be solved. These are mainly German "Shop" type Basses and not handmade, individually graudated instruments.

I would like to know which Forster Basses were made by Gilkes.. That's worth looking into.......... But with these German Brand type things for export, it really doesn't matter. Only the Actual Bass in hand can speak for it self as most Basses even with big names should as well........ And Many of them do !!

9. Geigenmacher ist violin maker auf Deutsch.
    Wine is American for Wein.
    Comes out red or white.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Yep.

Also Quote: Wine is American for Wein.

I respectfully disagree.

11. The W in Wein is pronounced as a V (maybe?)

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

Yes, in German, the W is pronounced as a V. The V is pronounced as an F. "EI" sounds like "I" and "IE" sounds like "E"

So Volkswagon prnounced in proper Deutsch would sound like "FolksVagon" to us.

13. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    :D

Arto is right

Wein (pron. vine) = Wine
    Wien (pron. veen)= Vienna
    Weinen (pron. vinen) = cry, weep
    Weihnacht (pron. vine-acht)= Christmas

14. Yup. And Volkswagen is pronounced "folks-wah-gen".
    The Wine thing was a joke.
    ;)
    R2

15. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    "Folks-vah-gen"... ;)

16. I wonder how you say derailed thread in German?

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

next dialect to deconstruct : Appalachian

18. Well, back to the track, Jack.
    Obviously neither of these basses in question has anything to do with Vienna, Wien, Wein, Glühwein or Weichnacht. They are factory made in Germany, prolly for export, no matter what the label tells about the mentioned Austrian town. I think that was the subject.

R2

19. arto, i'm right proud of ya.....you sound like a little Ken Smith!

20. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Paul, There is NO little K.S. !!

As I mentioned before, this family also worked in Austria and Czech as well. One of the family reportedly imported instruments from Germany to their shop in Austria and then Labelled them.

Your guess is as good as mine where each inst. came from but, if it has Wein on the label and 'made in germany' then it sounds like a double export to me.

Made in Germany, sent to Austria, labelled and maybe set up and then shipped to USA.

Today, even Japan sub-contracts to Korea. Korea sub-contracts to China, Indonesia and VietNam.

In the 19th Century England Imported from France and Naples,Italy imported from Germany and Czech. These were mainly unfinshed instruments in the 'white' and then completed, Varnished and Labelled by the "Maker". Kinda like what many have done recently with China. I had a Kolstein 'Solo-Orchestra' Bass in the late 1980s that was actually made by Pullmann but finished in the Kolstein Shop. Trade is a fact of modern and ancient soceity as well.

Don't doubt any of the possibilities mentioned here, except for the obvious jokes of course.