Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

George Bensen, Larry Graham and Graham Central Station

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Mar 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WHAT THE???

Why is there NO tabs on these Most influential bands? :crying:

its a tragety :crying:

CAN ANYONE SAVE US??????

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not surprised - we're talking about funk here, where timing and placement in the bar are crucial to the lines - and of course that is exactly what is lacking in Tab!

3. yeah...but still...even just something basic would be great

4. Bruce Lindfield

5. Bruce Lindfield

6. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    I.M.H.O.
    The Graham stuff is also very easy (and worthwhile) to
    just grab by ear off the records/CD's.

The same could also be said for most of Benson's single line stuff.

Playing with records does not require tab and may lead you to discover a few things on your own.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Agreed entirely - when I first heard "thankyoufalletinme..." there was no such thing as Tab - but it was pretty easy to get! :)

8. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    LG- Hmmmm I wonder if he ever played a Pbass?

Agreed learn this by ear... in fact learn alllll Sly/LG by ear. It will humble your most tech chops.....

9. not at all bustin...fender jazz..then a moon jazz

10. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

"Needless to say, Stone was impressed. Graham--armed with either a Fender Precision or a Vox bass--soon was part of what was to become one of pop's greatest outfits. "

Hmmmmm really?

http://archive.bassplayer.com/artists/graham.shtml

see the link Heath? read it.....

11. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    heath.... ya there man?
    you should send an email to Bass Player zine, and inform them of their mistake. :meh:

Oh and BTW it's Benson...

12. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    bump for curiosity only :bag:

13. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    at the risk of being yelled at.........

heath what's the story man???????

14. well since i expressed my dislike for precisions, everyone has had a grudge towards my name :confused: why? i dont know....

but, well im not sure of the larry graham p-bass remark, but im just goin on what i know and seen, ive only ever seen him play j-basses, both fender and moon.........

but anyway....

thanks to the links people, yay finally got hair to play :D :D :D

15. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Did you read the Bass Player Magazine link? I'm suprised in your 17yrs of existence, and given all your knowlage on the topic of who plays what, you didn't know Larry Graham did in fact play pbasses. Maybe you where wrong... could it be, HEATH was mistaken?

Heath this is a great example of your misplaced conviction of your OPINIONS. When you think you know it all, and there's nothing more to learn.... suprise.... the world of bass goes much deeper than Heath knew.

Humble yourself, my friend, admit your error in saying "not at all bustin...fender jazz..then a moon jazz"... but before all the glory of the jazz bass there was in fact a bass player you admire who played a Pbass, the original bass guitar, where as if the p never existed you would never have discovered the wonderful Kubicki. Respect the roots of your instrument and the roots of the music you love.

BTW- did you ever find a neck for the pbass you where building? It might be a great idea to grab a pbass for the authentic sound of Larry's early recordings. Or does Larry "suck" now that you know he played a P? hmmmmmmmm :meh:

16. Looks like someone has Pulled a David copperfield and "Dissapeared". Goes to show that if you are going to comment on something with conviction, you'd better be right. The young "pups" need their onions busted now and then. Nice Bustin justin! :D

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Okay ladies and germs, this is getting off topic. If you guys want to have a pissing contest about what kind of bass Larry Graham played, you can do so via Private Messages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.