George Clinton and P-Funk allstars

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Murf, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Wow, just got back from checking out the P-Funk allstars here in Dublin and what can I brain hurts now, first time I was ever at a gig in Ireland where there wasnt a queue at the bar cos everyone was too busy groovin' (and this is a rare thing believe me).

The band were awesome and the first 2 hours of the gig were the business until GAAARRRRGHHH they started into this wanky 'g**tar odyssey' thing which went on....and on......and on......which I'm sure it sounded great if you were on the old 'wacky tobbaccy' (I can like, see the music man)but unfortunately I wasnt so the nuances were a little lost on me and the gig never recovered after that which was a shame cos that first half 'KICKED ASS' and the brass section were tighter than a ducks arse....FUNK AWAY.
  2. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Congratulations on finally getting funked. Hope it didnt hurt too much.

The "guitar odyssey" was more than likely a song called "Maggot Brain" followed by "Dog Star". It is a staple of every full length PFunk show I have ever seen. I might recommend that you get the album "Maggot Brain" by Funkadelic to hear the original.

I have seen P-Funk at least 10 or 15 times since 1989 and every show is a unique experience. One time George didnt show up for the show. Rumors on the net were that he was too high to play. Luckily Bootsy was there to save the day.

PFunk is one of those bands that can be on or off on any given night. Luckily the last time I saw them, about a month or so ago, they were on and the crowd was chanting and clapping and just givin' up the funk.

If you have never seen PFunk before, go check them out one time before George decides to stop touring. They're still funky after all these years.
  3. Now that's a concert I'd like to see! I love the "Maggot Brain" album and all those Parliament classics. I wish I had hair like George Clinton, then everyone would think I was the coolest...:D.
  4. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Yep gotta admit it was definitely one of the top 5 gigs I've seen in years (The laadeeez in the audience loved it too as they kept storming the stage and being led off to the backstage errr "entertainment" area ), The great thing was the guys seemed genuinely surprised and delighted at the reaction they got here (After all you dont really put Ireland and funk in the same sentence ; )

They also filmed the gig so look out for it when its released as the band (and audience) were Funkin on.

(on a side note I purchased a cool tie dye shirt from merchandising when I first got to the gig and when the band came on lo and behold the bassist had the same shirt..which proves that when it comes to style us bassists got it in spades)

To finish off heres an hilarious article I came across