Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

George Dennis volume pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by emjazz, Sep 4, 2005.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've got one of these coming. It's the mono version. I really like that it's an optical pedal. Anyone have any experience with these? I've been scouring the net trying to find a good volume pedal. The ernie ball's only last a year before they start having problems. I've been waiting for Visual Volume to rerelease their volume pedal but I cants waits no more.

http://www.george-dennis.cz/pages/fxpedals.htm

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    definitely be interested to hear how that one works out. I too am waiting for the Visual Sound reissue, but am pretty happy with my EB vp jr in the meantime

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    David, I'll be sure to let you know how this one works out. A volume pedal is actually a very important part of my signal chain and one I've been going without for much too long.

4. While waiting for the re-issue Visual SOund pedal I picked up a Morley Little Alligator Volume Pedal. Nice and quiet opto electrical circuit and a minimum volume arrangement that allows me to return to "normal" volume without fiddling around trying to find a smooth transition level, works so well the pedal is on most of the time and I just rock it forward for the extra gain. When I back off it returns to the preset volume I normally use.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah, glad you explained this pedal. I tried a used one once and I couldn't get it to turn the volume all the way down. I thought it was broken..... :rollno:

6. Is there a volume pedal that works well for passive and active basses?

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup, the George Dennis is switchable for either. Not sure where the switch is located though. I'll let you know when I get it.

8. How much did you pay for yours(if you don't mind my asking)?

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
  10. Oh My! Those moments can be embarrasing can't they?
    For once a guitar player, Seve Vai, got it right the first time around ;)
    BTW you can adjust the volume knob to completely off if desired but as stated I like the ability to go from rhythm setting to lead without that searching for the sweet spot setting when I'm done.

Cheers,

11. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    FYI, the VV pedal is listed on their website again. Should be any time now.....

http://www.visualsound.net/VisualVolume.pdf

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sweet! and it's going to be impedance switchable also. cool

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Man I was bummed out. I just got the George Dennis pedal and it's distorting. Then I came to this thread and saw my own post that says it has switchable impedence. Now all I have to do is found out where on the pedal that is......

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well, the only control I found was a trim pot inside the pedal but it turns out that it controls the ouput and not the input. Looks like it's back to the Ernie Ball Volume Pedal. :scowl:

I'll bet this pedal KILLS for passive basses. It's dead quiet and it feels great as a foot controller. Great idea. Maybe I'll hear back from George Dennis.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well, I got to use this pedal last night with a friend's passive bass. I was right to thing that it works perfectly with a passive instrument. Man, I really hope that it can be changed for my active bass. It's by far the best volume pedal I've used. It's built like a tank. We'll see what happens.