Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

George Furlanetto is a genius!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BIg O, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Well guys, I bought the 6-string F-Bass I found in Kitchener....sorry, berklee46 (see My New Bass! thread). .;) Bought from the original owner, the deal - $2200 CAD ($1375 USD) was unbelieveable!!

It was originaly a fretless 6-string, hand-made in 1988 by George Furlanetto, modified by him to a fretted model with a thinned and profiled neck and a modified body for the original owner. It is a custom neck-through, as opposed to the stock bolt-ons that are standard today with F-Basses. After 15 years of playing it sounds GORGEOUS, no matter what the style and tone requested. The action is effortless, and the neck profile makes playing at all frets seem unconscious even with my small fingers.

I was thinking of adding a pre-amp and refinishing the slight wear, but it sounds so incredible, I don't want to mess with it! The volume pots are perfect, the tone pot and phase switch need some cleaning (all are original), but this is a GEM!!! (Hey hexbass - I now know what you mean). Orgasm, Orgasm, orgasm.......!!!

Pics to come.:D

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good for you - f basses are very nice. i look forward to seeing a pic or two.

3. You are right, Big O
    I have owned my BN6 for about 10 days now and after about 5 gigs and one session I have not failed in getting comments about the excellent sound coming from that bass. I also really dig how comfortable the bass is to play, but no listeners have commented on that because I'm not about to give them a chance to even touch that bass. It sounds great through an SWR head, but put it through my Aguilar and I'm in heaven.

G

4. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I agree with everything about the F Basses. I couldn't find anything to complain about on my 4 string. The craftmanship was amazing and the sound was equally impressive.

The only drawback was that I just like graphite necked basses better, so I was able to trade it for a pair of Status basses.
    If F Bass offered a graphite neck option, I'd buy 2 of them!

Best of luck with the new bass. I think I saw another ad for a 6 string F Bass recently...

5. I had george do some work on the bass today - replaced the noisy pot and switch, and replaced the control knobs with his newer blackwood ones while I waited in the shop and played a few of his newer stock.

(side story - joe cocker's current bass player - can't remember name - called and wanted a new 4-band pre-amp shipped ASAP, was shipped by george while my bass was on his bench...)

:D no pics yet, but I do have some relevant specs:

body: hand-rubbed natural burst finish ash
    neck: 5-piece (burled maple/rosewood/clear maple/rosewood/burled maple)
    fingerboard: ebony
    pickups: handwound hum-cancelling f-pickups with single coil switch
    tuners: gotoh
    bridge: custom built by cutting two schaller 4-strings down to 3 and matching on-board (george says that 6-string bridges were hard to find in 1987)

it's great to see an artist at work at what he loves.

i think this is my first f-bass of many......

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Big O,

Congratulations on the F Bass. I agree, George does great work. I bought a used F Bass BN5 here in Hawaii last year, and I've been very happy with it.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Same here. I just wish I bought one sooner.

8. I should receive my Alain Caron 6 string in 2 days, unless it gets held up at customs, or the shipping company snaps it in two. I bought it used from a guy in Canada. I'll post at report after playing it for a few days.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nice pics of a box with Red Xs in them, absolutely gorgeous...

But...where's the F bass?

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, I wish I had yours. That thing is beautiful.:)

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, Ryan.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, lord, that is a SWEET bass! I like how the chrome bridge sort of sets off the wood around it. Not to mention the wood looks stunning.

13. After 15 years of plugging, the wear shown is well-earned.
    [​IMG]

14. .[​IMG]

15. :)[​IMG]

16. :)[​IMG]

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Humina humina...I loooove that Bass! :D

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations, Big Orgasm!:)

The back of that bass is prettier than the front! Very nice.:cool:

20. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Big O, nice pics. Looks great! looks like a keeper.

hey Brad, how much for that "almost Jazz Bass style" F bass at the BassBoutique?