1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

George Furlanetto is a genius!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BIg O, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Beats me... you'll have to contact Jimmy or George F. I know Jimmy has had some custom F's made and I think George is making new models available.

I'm happy with my Studio 5;)

2. Here's my 28 fretter, George says that there are only 5 of these, anybody have one?

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey Hexbass, that's an awesome looking rig behind you. Can't see much if it. Can you post a pic in Amps? by special request.

4. I received my Alain Caron 6 yesterday. That is one amazing fretless bass. First of all, the sunburst finish is so much better in person than in any of the pictures I have seen in promo. My wife hates sunburst finishes, but actually thinks this one is appealing. This bass has one pickup plus a piezo bridge. The previous owner added the 3 band active preamp as well. The tonal possibilities are limitless--from jaco to a good upright sound, from smooth to aggressive and more. The way the markers are setup on the side of the neck also make this bass very playable (not to mention the great neck). I'm still getting used to the thumb rest though. The previous owner is really going to miss this one

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Redmond, WA
    Amazon Product Designer
    i've played F Basses that have been UNBELIEVEABLE.

one of my favorite local players (and an old teacher) plays a fretless 5, and he sounds PERFECT!

however, setup has a lot to do with every bass.

i recently went to the Bass Exchange (where i decided on the kingston) and the F Basses there were pretty weak.

GORGEOUS nonetheless.

some of the lightest basses i've ever played.

but, the playability and tone were downright horrible, as was the Roscoe fretless they had.

don't get me wrong, i ain't knocking F Basses, hell, i want one someday.

so, here's the question:

how are your F Basses setup?

the ones that i thought were spectacular had fairly straight relief and really low action.

killer tone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is this the case in general?

fred

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I detailed and set my used Studio 5 up as soon as I got it. Action's low, neck is just about straight. Result: killer tone. Understanding the EQ helps to.

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Redmond, WA
    Amazon Product Designer
    Brad,

i wanna hear!!!!!!!!!

post some clips to the yahoo group.

pretty please!!!!!!!!!

f

8. There was a 28 fret 6 string a Bass NW about a month or two ago in a deep purple color. It played amazingly, but there was a lot of hum when panning the pickups away from an equal blend becuse of the single coils.

-Chris

9. Hey Chris: F Basses normally have humcancelling pickups, with the option of switching to single-coil.

See the F Bass site (www.fbass.com)
    under Specifications, preamp

10. Yeah, I beleive that George is moving away from winding his own pickups and moving to a custom wound Semour Duncan dual coil. This particular bass had single coils though. It still sounded amazing though. I have been jonesing for and F bass bad recently. If I can sell my Roscoe for enough money, that is what I'm looking at getting.

-Chris

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    F, I set the action on my BNF5 a little higher than on my FBB or Pentabuzz. Seems to work best for me. Relief is relatively straight. Bud fooled around with it a bit at the last 2 bass summits; he seemed to like it alot.
    I find it to be quite versatile tonally. The bridge P'up is everything you want in a jazz tone, and more; the neck p'up tone is so fat and woody, and plucking over the fongerboad yields those wonderful upright flavors.
    GF is a genius in my book too!

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Just got back from my first gig with the Studio 5. It exceeded my expectations.

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Can I get a comparison of the American Laklands and the F-Bass? I've played a 55-94 but gettting a shot at the F-Bass probably won't happen unless I just happen to get lucky. Thanks!

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Most of the descriptions of the 55-94 here have been accurate... excellent fit and finish, excelllent playability, with the Bartolini pickups a very nice though not aggressive sound. Mine has the 3 band Bart preamp. I have no experience with the Duncan-equipped Laklands.

The F Bass does it all. Last night I played a variety of songs that went from Jazz standards to Fusion to Pop to Classic Rock to an loud impromptu jam on Parliament's "Tear the Roof Off the Sucker (Give Up the Funk)" that morphed into "Knee Deep" that took a turn to "Jungle Boogie" in low D and back again. This bass is so responsive it's silly. Whether using brush-like strokes on a quiet ballad, slapping, digging in hard fingerstyle or chording, everything sounded exactly like what I wanted it to sound like. Exactly. Punch, texture, cut, openness, bottom, everything was right on the mark.

The onboard EQ is just too cool. Very intuitive, very musical. All in all I can't think of a single even slightly negative thing about the bass. Hangs comfortably for hours, just feels right. The next time someone asks me "If you could only take one bass...? I'll have an answer. It's that good.

I will give credit to the other half of the equation, the newly acquired Hughes & Kettner BassBase 600 that was also used for the first time last night with my EA VL110's: Hughes & Kettner BassBase 600 thread

Most fun I've had live in a long time:D

15. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I am sure that George F. would want to know about ANY of his basses that are any less than WOW! He is a concerned mindful man that wants to make people sound their best.It would be helpful to supply him with as much info (S#,model, etc.).

I have had my 5 for 2 yrs now and can't be more happier. The only bass comparable was a Roscoe.I have heard some negative things about the Roscoe's but your tone statement threw me. This is the FIRST negative that I have ever heard about F Bass.

To ebozzz---
    I had a Lake 55-94 quilt dlx., with Bart pups. The sound is very refined, warm and dry. There is not much growl, if any, and it is not agressive at all. IMOP, this bass is best suited for country music.

If you want a bass that really rocks, the F rules! It gets the jazz sound, the p-bass sound, modern, even country could be dialed in if you really had to.
    I would say that it could get everything except the Warwick sound. That's why I bought a Warwick too.

Please understand that everything is subjective, and these statements are my opinion, and also many others that I have talked to.

I hope this helps.

BTW, nice bass O. I bet it sounds as serious as it looks!