1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

George Hawkins RIP

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by skyline_01, Oct 29, 2018.

1. skyline_01

skyline_01 Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio
    According to an update from his gofundme page:

"It is with a heavy heart that I share with all of you, on Friday, October 26th, 2018 this beautiful HAWK flew away peacefully from his home in CA to his next destination.

George Milton Hawkins Jr. born 8/17/1951 in Ventura, CA. a distinguished force of nature, whose light shined abundantly, whose generous nature filled hearts, whose infectious spirit brought joy & endless laughter, whose love for life, family, friends, fun, food and world travels nourished his soul which propelled his intrinsic masterful artistic treasures that will continue to inspire & fulfill us for lifetimes.

Thank You GOOD people for the immeasurable love, support, well wishes & contributions in the last year.
    You made a difference....to “thee difference”.

Eternal Peace & Love to ALL!
    Marlén xo"

:crying::crying::crying:

funkytoe and JimK like this.
  2. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
  3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow...one of my favourites!
    I could watch stuff like this all night-

Great, cool player that played syncopated lines while singing great harmony.
    To-be-missed.

RIP...

funkytoe, skyline_01, kobass and 3 others like this.
  4. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Thank you. Like so many others who deserve to be better known (especially by musicians), I knew Hawkins's name, but not his story. Now I see he was a superstar to the superstars. That he was also so well-loved by them as a person must be the crown of his legacy. I wish him peace.

skyline_01 likes this.
  5. Blueinred

Blueinred

Mar 12, 2009
    Greater Cincy
    Sorry I added a thread before checking the forums. RIP George, loved your work.

skyline_01 likes this.
  6. Phat Nick

Phat Nick

Mar 14, 2018
    Italy
    What a great player! Loved his lines on “nightwatch” (Kenny Loggins)...groove and tasty use of fills,plus gorgeous fretless tone

skyline_01 likes this.
  7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    RIP.

skyline_01 likes this.
  8. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    No worries here! The more awareness the better, that's the way I see it. I love the video you linked on yours! :bassist:

9. R&R George, the Gig in the sky has another player to groove and sing.

Gonna pull out those Kenny Loggins CDs and listen to George's masterful bass playing.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    JimK and skyline_01 like this.
  10. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    George was a HUGE influence on me. Back in 1980-81, I nearly wore out a videodisc of Kenny Loggin's Alive just to hear him play. His tone was soooo good and his background vocals were spot on. I even went so far as to buy my first of many Yamaha Broad Basses (BB2000) because I just loved the sound of his. For some reason, I Googled him today to see how he was doing with his battle with cancer and saw the notice that he had passed. Came over here to Talkbass to see how people remembered him and to read posts from others who appreciated his work as much as I did. He may not have been known by as many bassists as Duck Dunn or the Ox or other greats we have lost in recent years. But, as sideman go, this guy was the real deal. One of the best I have ever heard. Thank you, George, for the inspiration to want to be a better bassist and singer...and for all of the great music you left behind.

JimK, Phat Nick and skyline_01 like this.
  11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I loved his playing!
    Fly on George........

skyline_01 likes this.
  12. Phat Nick

Phat Nick

Mar 14, 2018
    Italy
    George is fabulous on this song...

JimK, jerry, funkytoe and 1 other person like this.
  13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Bob James produced that album, great stuff!

JimK, skyline_01 and Phat Nick like this.
  14. Phat Nick

Phat Nick

Mar 14, 2018
    Italy
    Yeah,he also arranged,if I remember correctly...typical west coast sound but recorded in New York...great album!!

JimK and skyline_01 like this.