Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"George L." cables anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wil Davis, Aug 9, 2001.

1. One of my band members raves about "George L." cables, and I was suspicious, thinking that any non-soldered connection would never be as good as one which was soldered, but my curiousity was aroused and I ordered some cable, and an assortment of ends, and I must admit that they are well made, and are very easy to assemble (taking great care to make a clean cut so that there are no wisps of the braid left hanging). As to the electrical characteristics - well, I don't want to open a can of worms, but the cable is said to be low-capacitance, but I don't know how much this would affect signals at audio-frequency. As to whether or not the difference is noticable - another can or worms! BUT, I must say it's neat being able to do a repair without the need of a soldering-iron. Comments anyone?

- Wil

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    open a can of worms, wil. i want to hear what you have to say about them, audio-wise. i've been thinking about getting them to wire up my rig, and before i do so, i want to know what i'm getting for my money. :D

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I picked up a couple of George Ls when Musician's Fiend was blowin' 'em out for cheap, cheap, cheap.

I actually noticed a difference with my Curbow Int'l Petite 5 into my Tascam digital 8 track. I want to pick up some more for the rest of my connections. I think they're great.

JT--I've got a couple of 10 ft George Ls. When I cruise over to your place at some point, I'll bring 'em with me.

4. I used one at a rehearsal last night, and to be quite honest I don't think I could hear a difference - but as I said, the quality of the cable is good, and the ends are pretty well-made... I wonder how it will stand up to rough use?

- Wil

5. Wait a second, I thought this was another George W. thread. My bad.:rolleyes: :D

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I wired up my rack system (Kern IP-777, RNC Compressor, QSC 2402) with .155 George L cables earlier this year. At the same time I began using the .250 George L cables on gigs. I have a pair of them running to a homemade A/B switch since I generally have a fretted and fretless bass on each gig.

As a longtime solder jockey I always thought solderless connectors were for wimps, but I have to say that these connectors are very dependable and the cables quiet. I have straight and 90 degree ends. I did notice a difference between one and another cable, primarily in the highs. The George L's are very low capacitance.

They are stiffer than other cables I've used, which is a slight hassle when playing live, but not a biggie. They also, of course, get a little sticky feeling like other hard surfaced rubber/plastic cables on a sticky bar floor, as opposed to cloth-covered cables that just get scuzzy in other ways. So I wipe them down at home once a month depending on where I play.

In any case, I've been pleased with the George L's performance, and wiring up a rig with custom lengths is ridiculously easy and quick. The small ends are nice and compact against my basses and amps, too.

7. sunnking

sunnking

Jul 13, 2001
    i use George L's for my leads. i dont want to come off like an ad but they are THE best cable i have used period. i HAVE NOT tried every cable out there especially the high end jobs. they are stiff at first but like a good leather strap they soften after use. the solderless conections are great for at gig fixes, just bring a pocket knife.

im really sorry it sounds like an ad after all.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that would be delightful. thanks, mr. monkee. :D

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, I'll suffer the indignity of playing your new hollowbody in exchange for letting you check out my George L cables.

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have heard a person here and there saying the connections can come undone if you jump around a lot when playing gigs. But I guess they would be really easy to fix. It's also nice that if the wire gets all twisted up and unusable you can use the same connectors and just replace the cable.