Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

george L cables???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by violatedppl, Sep 13, 2005.

1. I've been thinking about the same thing. My pedal board is a MESS. How reliable are George L's? If they're reliable they would be perfect.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They're pretty bitchen, and got great reviews in BP. Really simple to assemble and repair if necessary.

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    :cool: I can carry two 25' cables in the same space as one 21' Monster. Sounds great no issues. My effects loops are GL's as well. I purchased a few extra ends so if I need a patch cable @ a gig I'd just cut off 1' or 2' off main cable. Also purchased Planet Waves cable cutter/tester, very cool.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup, this seems to be the way to go. It's on my list of things to buy for my pedalboard.

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have never used them myself, but in some other Threads here at TB, I have heard really good reviews on there product & service. :)

6. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Any notion they sound better is esoteric BS..

IMO they are no good for pedal boards as the locking set-screws come loose and the lead ends pop out.. If you miss the pedal or slip etc and your foot hits the cable join its just not strong enough and pop out she comes... yeah sure you can fix it but who has a spare 5 min in the middle of a song to neatly re cut the cable, find a mini screwdriver in the pitch dark, undo the set screw, yada yada yada....

personally I'd just get some Monster cables and save your money.

7. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    I like them in very short lengths between some of my pedals. I use the angeled connectors, and it's very handy to just carry an extra ft or so of cable if something should go wrong. No tools needed :)
    However, I seriously dislike them as instrument cables for live use! They ton't take a beating too well, so I'll just stick with monster cables for that!

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They now offer hoodies to go over the head and onto the wire. This should alleviate the problem that you're speaking of.

9. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    i'll probably use them exclusively from now on for all patch type connections. of course they'll go out occasionally, all cables will - the difference being it literally takes only 2 minutes to fix one vs. taking/sending a lifetime warranty cable back for replacement. less stuff going into the waste stream, as well.

10. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    They're very convenient for configuring your board but I'd only recommend the for the most 'fixed' of fixed installations.

If your velcro isn't up to snuff or your pedals are very adhesive resistant then I'd steer clear of using the George L'
    s for those connections.

I've had George L's cut out on me for this very reason a few too many times. I haven't stopped using them but for the really important connections (anything that can't be kicked out w/ a bypass switch) I use regular cables.

I've also become much more diligent about installing an maintaining my velcro so everything stays where I put it during transit.

The Planet Waves cable cutter is worth it's weight in gold if you're working w/ the George L's. They're very finicky about being cut properly and the Planet Waves tool does it just right.

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Good stuff to know. Hopefully I can avoid most of it as I'll be eventually using a pedal switcher from Pedal-Racks. http://www.pedalboards.com/

12. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Cool. I'm looking a horizontal style loooper as well. right now I'm using one of the square models and I can see a definite advantage to having things all lined up horizontally right in front of me as opposed to off to one side w/ switches almost on top of each other.

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I see a lot of advantages to that setup.

Hey, I see you're in Boston. I'm just North of you. PM me and let me know if you play out at all.

14. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    I have a set of the Bill Lawrence cables I got back in the 80s. They're still going strong. But for pedal hookups, I use some 3 conductor stuff I got when I was into making contact braids for slotcars (way back when). I think you could tow a car with those.

Sometimes, depending on how the jacks on the pedals are positioned - like if they're the same manufacturer - I take two right-angle plugs, take the backs off, solder a little wire directly across - tip to tip, sleeve to sleeve - and screw both of them together back to back. They take up less space than even those end to end connectors you find out there, so you can get the pedals closer together and eliminate the cable altogether.

I'll have to try those George Ls though.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's not the point ... it's that they don't sound worse.

16. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    +1

I prefer no sound at all from my cables... :D

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I got $100 worth of them in the mail today actually. I'll post again after I set everything up.

18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    If you put them together improperly they will frustrate you, but if I never had a problem with them if I took my time and checked every connection.

Push the wire all the way in or else the signal won't work. Only bend the wire down far enough to tighten the set screw to create the ground.

I made 4 working cables in about 2 minutes today.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I put together two pedalboards for friends with no problems. When it came to doing my own, I got three bad connectors and haven't worked with them since. I prefer soldered jacks, and would gladly take the time to properly build my own cables as opposed to George L's.

Just my $0.02. YMMV