George L issues anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by prismacolor2, Feb 29, 2004.

1. prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    I made a bunch of right angle cables for my board yesterday and for some reason, some are working and some aren't. I looked to make sure there was a wire split where the screw caps dig into the wire and they seemed to be fine. I can't figure it out. Anyone else ever have this issue making George L patch cables? Any experience or suggestions would be helpful . Thanks!!
  2. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I have a ton on my pedal board. I've changed them out several times as I've changed pedal configurations. Never once have I had an issue with a single George L's right angle connection. Make sure you ram in the hot connection before you bend the cable and screw it down.

Also, make sure the cable hasn't flattened out too much when you cut it. Maybe that's the source of a short in your hot connection. I always reshape it to make the ends good and round before putting them in the connectors.

Good luck.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, you gotta make sure that your center conductor makes good contact with the little pin in the middle of the plug. I keep losing the caps off my plugs when I use them for instruments (only at rehearsal). Also, after a while, the cap can cut all the way through the wire, so you have to redo it. Otherwise, I like 'em.
  4. I've never had any problem with my George L's except for people borrowing them and not wanting to return them. I use them for all my pedal board and efx rack connections and have several 10 footers I use for short connections or recording. I do know players that have lost the caps on the right anglers but since I check my cables when I unroll and roll them and tighten as needed- no problems. I do carry a couple of extras in my ditty bag just in case.
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think the biggest mistake people make using George Ls is using scissors or wire cutters to cut the cables. You need a completely straight cut - use a razor blade only!
  6. prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I've used GL cable kits before without issue but for some reason (or good reasons mentioned above I'm sure) 2 of my 8 new cables didn't work. I'll redo them and I'm sure they'll be fine. I just wanted to get all potential issues out in the open before redoing them in case there was anything I hadn't thought of.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Prismacolor2, where did you buy the cables? I had the same problem a while back and returned them for a refund, minus shipping and the cable I had used. It seemed fair. I had the same dilemma, cut them with a razor though, followed directions precisely, and 4 out of 7 didn't work. There may be a bad batch of cable out there or something.

By the way, I wired 3 other pedalboards with this stuff before mine and never had a problem, so I assume it's the product and not my method.