1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

George L patch cables. Throw them off a bridge?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Mar 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    My board has been wired for years with George L 'make your own' right angle patch cables. Invariably, one of the them is crackly, glitchy and tempermental. I have been following their instructions for how to make them, but still, they fail pretty commonly and need to be re-made. Then the next one goes south. They don't get jostled much at all, everything is fixed pretty sturdily to the board.

Curious if others have had these problems as well, and if you discovered some method of making them more reliable. Or do I need to just go to a different patch cable? Lava's have been even less reliable/prone to failure. Maybe I'm just an idiot (it is a distinct possibility)

Also annoying: The plugs are fairly deep, for pedals with side mounted jacks. I would love to find pancake jacks to save space, but then they'd probably be fixed length.

thanks for any input

2. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    ALthough I have heard a few stories like yours, mine work perfectly every time with zero problems. I am always dismantling my board and so my cables get a lot of wear and tear. I have not had one failure, crack, glitch, noise or anything other than perfect operation. The key I think is to make sure you discard the instructions and watch this video because it stresses the importance of using pliers to tighten the nut, while the enclosed instructions say to rely on finger pressure only.

3. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Solderless screw-joint cables? Shudder. Give me something I have to use a soldering iron on 8 days a week.

ONYX, Honch, JohnnyWishbone and 12 others like this.
  4. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC

I've tried finger tight but over the last couple years have gone to plier tightening. Still having trouble with them :/

5. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I have heard all the horror stories, but I've had zero issues with the planet waves kit.

cable kit.

6. Pancake connectors are the way to go:

?q=tbn:ANd9GcRN_V96SHCrxNxtImRPGL-KD40mu3pwoLU7jqYu_JcH8Af45lmQRrNYKo-aXVoIyQOcWXiJZ7KB&usqp=CAE.

Holy Crap on a Cracker, that Solderless kit from D'Addario (Planet Waves) is $70.
    Surely you can just buy some wire & connectors cheaper than that.

7. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I need to get friendly with a soldering iron and buy a pile of pancake connectors and some decent wire.

8. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    +1 on the pancake jacks. I did all mine with those and a little thinner Mogami cable (i think it's Mogami). I found them a little cumbersome at first to solder in but after I got the hang of it, they've been champs.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I have used George L cables for years with zero problems.
    Maybe I've been lucky in finding a good method for assembling them.

City, dcbassist5, SirMjac28 and 2 others like this.
  10. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    My experience:
    George L's are great for custom length cables that work great for "set and forget" locations. I mean in between pedals, around pedals, whatever. As soon as they get used as a jumper between boards or if there is a lot of rotation, they will go south.

That being said I use them and love them. As ling as you play by my rules you shouldn't have any issues.

Jaycephas likes this.
  11. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I have also used the George Ls with no problems once I reviewed the above video and really learned how to do it.

It is true they are deeper...

Ebs makes the best flat cable. But I have had two fail in the last month.

dinoadventures likes this.
  12. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Mine give me hell, even when secured on a board. Super annoying/unusable on a gig.

13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Absolutely no problem with the sound quality, George L cable is very good. Maybe there can be issues if you assemble the plugs incorrectly, but not when done right.

14. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I've never had fidelity issues (aside from the sonic aspects when the cable starts to fail), and I'm kinda a stickler about that.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  15. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Man, as a somewhat of a pedal board newbie, I'm kinda bummed. I was planning on buying one of those solderless kits. Didn't realize there were mixed reviews of the solderless cable thing.

What to do, what to do....

hintz likes this.
  16. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I've had all of my planet waves solderless patch cable go bad after a few months or so, but I might've been incorrect in assembly?? I was thinking about splurging with some George L's, not so sure now.....

17. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Judging by the solidly mixed reviews, I'd chalk it up to user error (myself included). They seem to be fine when done "properly". What that means vs what I'm doing, I can't quite figure out.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I've had very good luck with the GeorgeL cables I've owned. Mostly in rack rigs, but I've even used the skinny ones as instrument cables! They coil very neatly. I've only had two problems: the first was when I was playing a dock bar gig, and one end fell through the timbers into the water. I didn't dry it well enough so it corroded. Second problem was when a clumsy (drunk) lead vocalist tripped on my cable, and even though it was looped through my strap, the cable yanked out of the plug that was (still) attached to my bass. So, I had to use another cable.

The fix for both of those problems was simply to snip the old plug off then reinstall a new one.

I now go with amp and pedals instead of racks, and use EBS Flat patch cables, mainly because I don't want to bother with rolling my own, so to speak. And I mostly use other brands of instrument cables. But none of this is because I'm avoiding the GeorgeL for any particular reason.

19. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I tried them, followed instructions and still had issues. I threw them out instead of selling the remainder. I couldn't even give them to someone in good consciousness.

Fat Steve likes this.